Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Gday From Melbourne

Well I did say longest day was 7 hours, didn't say 7 hour days...try to keep up guys. Often work 4 hour days, not working tomorrow and 3 hours on Friday.  Didn't work Monday either. And yet still netting a great income for the week. "Working for the man".........you guys make me laugh.

I haven't worked a 7 hr day in years and years. If I was ever going to go back to those hrs id go back to working for the man and the fantastic wages and benefits that go with it with not much actual work. 

I'm also happy with my income. I just don't see why you bang on about yours all the time. You seem to correlate having a Franchise = more money. Which of cause is not true.  Also most of us on here are not in the game for huge monetary gains. I semi retired at 40 and walked away from that unhealthy roundabout. Life is not a competition. Life just is, enjoy it.

I look at my dairy and see peoples names, not $$ amounts. I like my clients. Give you a quick story I did a unit block yesterday which has a huge plum tree. I spent 10 minutes picking plums and then the next 1/2 hr to 45 minutes driving around to some of my elderly clients delivering plums. No money in that but was worth the smiles and thanks.

You seem to get very defensive on your choice of going to a franchise. Majority of us (me included) don't care if your in a franchise or not but don't be jumping to conclusions when we mention why we don't like the franchise system.  We also made a choice. My main reason for going solo was no monthly fee, no fees at all in fact but had to do the hard yards chasing work. It was a trade off I'm happy I did, but I could also afford to do that to. Allot cant so a franchise makes sense, especially for people with limited business and sales skills or even limited motivation. I have no animosity towards franchise guys. But I appreciate that I can work less than them and earn the same money.  $600-$700 less work than them in fact, maybe more,  maybe allot more if taking the purchase cost in to consideration.

We had the guy who was Jims number two who started Fox mowing Franchise (I think it was Fox?) on the forum for a little bit. He had a hard time convincing us Indys that his system was better than ours to. Once you have a round you have a round, why pay somebody else? 

Working for the man means working for someone else. 

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:32 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Gday From Melbourne

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:42 AM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Gday From Melbourne

Yeah

I haven't worked a 7 hr day in years and years. If I was ever going to go back to those hrs id go back to working for the man and the fantastic wages and benefits that go with it with not much actual work. 

I'm also happy with my income. I just don't see why you bang on about yours all the time. You seem to correlate having a Franchise = more money. Which of cause is not true.  Also most of us on here are not in the game for huge monetary gains. I semi retired at 40 and walked away from that unhealthy roundabout. Life is not a competition. Life just is, enjoy it.

I look at my dairy and see peoples names, not $$ amounts. I like my clients. Give you a quick story I did a unit block yesterday which has a huge plum tree. I spent 10 minutes picking plums and then the next 1/2 hr to 45 minutes driving around to some of my elderly clients delivering plums. No money in that but was worth the smiles and thanks.

You seem to get very defensive on your choice of going to a franchise. Majority of us (me included) don't care if your in a franchise or not but don't be jumping to conclusions when we mention why we don't like the franchise system.  We also made a choice. My main reason for going solo was no monthly fee, no fees at all in fact but had to do the hard yards chasing work. It was a trade off I'm happy I did, but I could also afford to do that to. Allot cant so a franchise makes sense, especially for people with limited business and sales skills or even limited motivation. I have no animosity towards franchise guys. But I appreciate that I can work less than them and earn the same money.  $600-$700 less work than them in fact, maybe more,  maybe allot more if taking the purchase cost in to consideration.

We had the guy who was Jims number two who started Fox mowing Franchise (I think it was Fox?) on the forum for a little bit. He had a hard time convincing us Indys that his system was better than ours to. Once you have a round you have a round, why pay somebody else? 

Working for the man means working for someone else. 

I agree with you I have been banging on about it but I guess from my perspective I constantly see posts on here deriding (banging on?) Jims that dont make money and are morons etc etc. Its hard not to be defensive about ones choice.

I wouldnt say that Jims is a better system than Indy. I only defend it when people say it is worse.

Anyway I'll promise to stop banging on about it. 

Posted 11 January 2018 - 11:30 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Gday From Melbourne

Hear, hear - let's get back to the main business of this forum - whinging about dog ####, cr@p weather, cr@p gear and cr@p clients :)

some of what I post is just letting off steam after a cr@p day or event to a mob who I assume get what I'm talking about where my wife or the cat don't.

But then there's the information and honest advice here which has been priceless for me starting back into mowing - I've said before I'd probably still be using my 19" pushie if it weren't for Lawnclub - The Ego 56v, HRX217, New Stuff, and many other threads along with Grae's endless library of reference links are gold

Hopefully we're a broad church here -  how we run our businesses is our choice - whatever works best for the individual's circumstances

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:18 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Gday From Melbourne

I heard the best example of working for the man this morning, some of you will get it.

Me: hey wife arnt you eating breakfast this morning?

Her: No i havnt got time.

She,s nudging 70 and has been retired for 5 years.  :)

Posted 11 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales