zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNorth West of Brisbane
  • Business Name:Chris's Leaves and Lawns

Government Contract Coming To An End.

A couple of pics of the government contract I had for last 6 months. It was only suppose to be 3 months-but good to have a little extra time there and get new ute fitted the way I wanted.

Dealing with government departments can be frustrating-I was told I'd be there another 12 months-no paper work-so I asked again and given a positvive afformation-so went and purchases a  big tandem trailer for this job-only to be told position had to go for tender. Along with them back flipping on consumables cost-which they payed and now said they not-I am now just getting payed hourly rate I quoted in june with the consumables.

So its all a bit on the nose now,and after week of advertising they had no one apply except me,but now in last week some one else has put an expression of interest in to do work-so its all up in there and I have no passion for the position anymore,and waiting out my last two weeks in limbo.

At least I have a heap of pics like below which will be good for future promo's

Attached Files

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:37 AM

Road Runner
Road Runner

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationPerth WA
  • Business Name:She Oaks Gardening Service

I share your pain. We started doing work for a Kiwi TPI veteran about 6 months ago. All the paperwork was submitted to NZ Vets Affairs when we started. Still waiting for confirmation of supplier number. In the meantime the poor fella has passed away. His wife is still paying us and claiming back from NZ Vets Affairs. We were thinking about registering for the NDIS when it is rolled out in WA but not so sure anymore that we want anything to do with Government Departments.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:52 AM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Victoria

if it is any comfort these departments often award the tender to the known achiever even when another party puts in a lower price, and if the price is too low, it always goes to the known achiever.

Posted 05 December 2017 - 03:59 PM

I am a worn out and grumpy old man

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

I know how you feel i do a lot of commercial work and they work in the same way. Just got to make hay while the sun shines and make the most of it.

Some nice work there mate very well done
Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:23 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Price will be the 3rd or 4th most important thing. It’s like real estate work, you need to price in the inconvenience.

If you do go for it, you now have “demonstrated the ability to do the job” which will be one of the things more important than the price.

I reckon the job is yours at 10-15% increase if you can get yourself up for it
Posted 05 December 2017 - 05:55 PM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNorth West of Brisbane
  • Business Name:Chris's Leaves and Lawns

some good points - thanks all. yes that could be a factor 'the known achiever' bit.

I found out more today from point of contact in government-he is reasonable enough to deal with-bit just a very low rung on their ladder-at least he told me a few things and that the big boss is doing the deciding this Thursday and I should know either way by Friday at latest.

I did notice him eyeing my kit a few times latesly-so he more than well knows I have good neat gear,and neat work-he even said one of the government workers who I had never really seen had said the unit yards attached to this building were the best she had seen in her time running that section

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:22 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales