zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNorth West of Brisbane
  • Business Name:Chris's Leaves and Lawns

Getting Bowled An Under Arm Ball Re Lawn/garden Work

Well I guess there are many here who can tall a tale or two re odd behaviour of clients or lawn mowing jobs from over the years.

But yesterday takes the cake-for the last six months I have had a fixed arrangement with a government body for three seven hour days a week-its all gone fairly smoothly and good,and no major issues.

Recently the position had to be advertised and I re tendered.A few odd things started to happen with council a few weeks ago-they said they were no longer paying for consumables-as the agreed to in june. Then yesterday while myself and off sider were in shed doing minor mower repair and mixing fuels a big berly rough looking locksmith arrived - I did not take much notice-he occasionally pulls up outside shed as its flat to work at back of his truck.  

Anyhow I did my repairs and ready to push mower out and he has an angle grinder ready to cut MY lock of the shed-which only houses my gear on the property -at first I thought it odd then he told me what he was doing-the council asked him to cut my lock and put a new one on!!! so things got very nasty and almost physical-he rang someone in council and I rang my council contact-and told him some one was about to get punched in the head-never seen that council worker arrive so quick in all my time there.

Not much was sorted-the council had a key to my lock,but took the one the near fight was over off,and replaced it with a silly sollies one,which I objected I put my own back on.

I packed as much gear as I could and will collect ride on etc another time very soon. But there was no need for them to be so bloody minded. Of course I was seen to be in trouble by looking out for my gear. After things going down hill like this -its not a place that is ok to work anymore.So looks at the end of the six months innings - a low act  to end it all.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 01:04 PM

markp
markp

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

That's sucks, its a big job to lose. It happened to me about 10 years ago I lost my biggest job via email spineless gutless wonders couldn't even ring me , I had been doing it for about 10 years. I vowed then never to put myself in that situation again in having to many eggs in one basket. 

Now I haven't got one job that I rely on , so if I lose one tomorrow I can usually fill it the next day if I want to , but these days the more I lose the better I feel , I need to cut back a bit

Posted 07 December 2017 - 03:21 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Sorry to hear it ended like this for you Zippy - still your time there got you fully equipped and ready to go to the next level - one thing I like about having 40 or so clients is I have the power - if I really don't like something I can pull the pin on someone and still have a business - when you contract to just one or two entities for your business, THEY have the power - good luck with the next phase of your business.

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:15 PM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationNorth West of Brisbane
  • Business Name:Chris's Leaves and Lawns

its no great loss,I still have more than plenty of work and other contracts and clients,its was kinda going pear shaped for the last four weeks-so pleased not to have to put up with there nonsense-I'll be very pleased to get back to a less stressful work routine.The position was well timed and placed-it was only ever supposed to be three months -so I got an extra three and helped very considerably to set new vehicle up and new suite of tools and pay for it all out right. So all good-I'll leave the minions and two legged dingoes and move on :)

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:41 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales