crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

You Get The Clients You Deserve

Yes but you may have lost that in the text. Do it your way but I would not have even answered the question on rates. The only reply should be when can i call you to discuss?" Or simply just call them. Then go visit the premises to do a quote.

I get what you're saying Colsy and thanks - and I am pretty p!ssed off with cheapskates at the moment and that's not a good attitude to be seeking new business with - but thinking about the last 10 days or so since I spat the dummy, I've landed 4 new good regulars at good quotes - maybe 30% of the inquiries I've had - I reckon I'll go through to new year letting people decide for themselves upfront whether around $60 for a mow is acceptible up front while I drink a bit of beer and regain my normal good humour  :angry:

Cheers

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:08 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

You really have to switch that off. The sale starts in your head and if you are telling yourself that this customer will never pay $60 etc then yes, you are right! But stop telling yourself that. You have to throw away all presumptions about a the client when you are pitching the sale. They will pay what you want them to pay if you work them over. SELL! The reason they are not paying $60 is you...........I mean that with respect but this is a sales technique that I believe in. Its 110% about you, not them. They will pay you $60 if YOU make them believe YOU and your service are worth $60.

Cheers Colsy - food for thought for me for sure.

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:11 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Yea, ur going to get lots of desperate's on Gumtree.  Weed em out.

Yea, Christmas break job for me is getting website, facebook and Google My Business up and running.

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:12 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

I know my interneting can sometimes come across as forceful and arrogant. Don't mean it to at all. Just throwing some ideas out there for you.

Its interesting that Colsy has a Sales perspective to. I bet that is heavily reinforced with Jims and VIP. How we word things and how we think does indeed effect the outcomes.

Zig Zigler.  He has lots of stuff to read or listen to and is brilliant and without being dishonest at all. He is the master of soft closing. (lots of sales motivators walk a fkn fine line and can be downright rude). 

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:14 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

I know my interneting can sometimes come across as forceful and arrogant. Don't mean it to at all. Just throwing some ideas out there for you.

Its interesting that Colsy has a Sales perspective to. I bet that is heavily reinforced with Jims and VIP. How we word things and how we think does indeed effect the outcomes.

Zig Zigler.  He has lots of stuff to read or listen to and is brilliant and without being dishonest at all. He is the master of soft closing. (lots of sales motivators walk a fkn fine line and can be downright rude). 

No I appreciate your feedback and the spirit it's given in - and I fully accept I have a lot to learn in the sales field - bit of reading and youtubing over the next couple of weeks I reckon

Time for a beer I think!

Cheers

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:22 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

wine you mean?

LOL not likely

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:44 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • LocationDarwin

A good salesman creates in his prospect the desire to buy.  ;)

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:45 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Exactly, best sales book I ever read was Newsell.

Main point, YOU don't close the sale, you aim to make it so attractive that THEY want to close the sale.

Cheers Fred.

Posted 14 December 2017 - 05:55 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

What calibre handgun do you take to quotes Drew?  :)

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:19 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • LocationDarwin

What calibre handgun do you take to quotes Drew?  :)

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:06 PM

Colsy
Colsy

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Crocster, would you believe me if I told you that I actually tell my clients that they can get it done cheaper.

Generally if I am flying around in the $200 to $300 zone and I am feeling a little bit of self doubt I actually find it therapeutic to let it out.......I say " Hey look I think its going to be somewhere in the $200 to $300 area"

"Oh reeeallly?"

"Look I advise you to shop around, you will probably find cheaper quotes if you ask on Facebook or local ads etc etc..."

"Oh no please, we want a good job done......when can you do it..?"

I dont hard sell, I talk to the client, I comment on their house, I talk about the local area, I have a #### about the local weed problem or I remark on their lovely shrubs. 

Selling doesnt have top be a push action, they want something from you (the service) so make them want it even more, as soon as you turn it into you trying to get something from them you have lost the game.

I crapped myself over the whole selling thing when I first got into this but I listened to every word they said about sales in the training. I found the psychology of sales incredibly interesting and read all of their suggestions, The E myth, Zig Zeglar...etc. I was still incredibly nervous at first but I believed in what I was trained in and applied it.

Posted 14 December 2017 - 08:13 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Yep I always tell people who query the price that there are plenty of cheaper guys out there - but then emphasise my strengths and suggest that with anyone else they call for quotes that they ask about Public Liability insurance (I take a folder to quotes with a copy of my policy and a photocopy of my National Police Check cert), and an ABN number

I try to differentiate myself on

1/ Reliablity and professionalism - I'm happy to lock in regular appointments with rough time of day, text confirm/remind the night before, indicate likely arrival time, call if delayed unduly - whatever the customer needs within reason

2/ trustworthiness/character/honesty - Police check cert, references, indifference to cash payments, issuance of invoices where needed

3/ - quality of work - photos of other work - clippings not blown onto road etc

All of this information excluding reference to price is now in my ad - it's all there in concise points without being War and Peace - but with no screaming banners for "LAWNS FROM $25!!!!!!!!!!!"

I'm displaying my ignorance of sales and persuasion techniques here but, if I read my ad, I would be pretty sure that it's not a Beer Bob, it wouldn't be cheap but I'd get a dependable, professional, insured, neat worker who wasn't going to case my place for his mates to break and enter.

And I put the info in the ad - up front - try and filter out people who want a Beer Bob. But time for plan B I guess.

Posted 14 December 2017 - 09:39 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales