Keithone
Keithone

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • Business Name:Testing the waters

Might Buy A Honda Hrc216

Hello Everyone,

I have joined as I am hoping to start my own lawn mow / maintenance. Your forum has a wealth of knowledge and I;m enjoying reading all the posts.....I don't have much to offer yet as I have been doing concrete garden edging for the last 16 years...yes I'm a Kwik Kerber. 

I'm starting to collect equipment and have found an almost new Honda HRC216. They lady wants $700 for it. She says she bought it for $1200 a few months ago.....only used it three times.

Have any of you guys had or would recommend this mower? Would 700 be a good price supposing the description is true?

Thanks so much

Keith in Adelaide

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:54 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Might Buy A Honda Hrc216

RRP for it seems to be around $1200 - for around that money I'd take a good look at the HRX217 - search on this forum for more info - I've got one and would recommend it for anyone starting up

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:11 PM

Keithone
Keithone

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Might Buy A Honda Hrc216

Hi there

Thanks for your input.  I have seen some reviews on utube....was just wondering about real people thoughts! lol

I will do a hunt on the forum.....but I dont think i could afford the new price tag for the 217...I would like one tho'

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:36 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Might Buy A Honda Hrc216

Gday Keith

...................If your going to do this save your pennies and get a Self Propelled mower, your shoulders etc etc will thank you later. Self propelled is available as rear wheel drive, front wheel drive or All Wheel drive.

A new Toro All Wheel drive for instance will set you back about a grand 

Posted 08 December 2017 - 10:49 AM

Keithone
Keithone

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Might Buy A Honda Hrc216

Thats a very valid point...I actually have a torn left shoulder tendon...bursitis.

There is a mower shop opening sale tomorrow....Toro .$790 for a walk behind Pacer

and then Ive found Cash converters have a Honda 217 they are asking $699.....the catcher looks a little dodgie tho...cashies is 2 1/2 hours away....hmmmm

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:32 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Might Buy A Honda Hrc216

Cashies... negotiate negotiate negotiate  :)

Posted 08 December 2017 - 06:48 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Might Buy A Honda Hrc216

If you're carrying a shoulder injury I'd say self propelled is a must and maybe as "flickable" as possible - the 217 is a long mower and I don't find it that friendly when you're not just walking behind it drive engaged - I'm interested in something like this:-

https://www.victa.co...tte-850-sp.html

smaller catcher/narrower cut but lighter and more maneuverable - I've only checked them out in store at this stage - $929 is more in your price range too?

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:14 PM

Colsy
Colsy

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Might Buy A Honda Hrc216

Took me ages to decide whether or not to buy a self propelled or not. Very glad I did. I went the Bushranger 21", basically a Honda but without the blade brake. But I also occasionally carry a little Victa 450 that is the fastest little mower for smaller yards.

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:13 AM

SexyGardens
SexyGardens

• Lawn Club Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHervey Bay Queensland
  • Business Name:Sexy Gardens

Might Buy A Honda Hrc216

We have used the Honda but most recently came across a Worldlawn WYZ20" Self Propelled Mower.  These are great mowers - $686.00  brand new complete with Warranty.

Durable & powerful 5.5HP OHV engine

Single speed transmission

3-year limited residential warranty

6-month limited commercial warranty

20" Solid steel deck for durability

Ball bearing wheels for smoother operation

Comfort grip handles for operator comfort

Mulch or catch feature

Single lever height adjustment

Four blade swing back cutting system

Sturdy, breathable fabric grass catcher

We have added a Worldlawn Cobra 46" Zero Turn Ride-On into our fleet as well.  We are getting greater productivity.  You should have a local Dealer close to you

Posted 09 December 2017 - 04:35 PM

Keithone
Keithone

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Might Buy A Honda Hrc216

Took a drive yesterday and went to Cashies in Murray Bridge. Negotiate...negotiate...negotiate!! I wanted to pay 500 but they

wouldn't budge from 550. At lot better than the asking price of 700 tho. I did test it while there and it seemed ok.

Got home and ran it a while an the damn thing started surging.

Took the carb apart and it was as clean as. Read somewhere about this problem so bought myself some welding nozzle cleaners and reamed out the jet screw....went up three sizes thinking, oh well in for a penny!! and it worked...had fun doing my front lawn on mulch. danm thing nearly took off without me.

So now Im thinking ,gosh. This thing is huge and felt a little cumbersome. Im thinking of you Crocster and Colsy....I think I might need something lighter or easier to manouver for smaller "granny" lawns. That victor corvette looks cool or Ill look at the World lawn. Cant see myself doing 8 small lawns with the 217

Im looking a the atom edger next but will post that on the atom thred

Cheers

Keith

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:53 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales