Mattie
Mattie

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Business Name:Oasis lawns & gardens

Jim’S Mowing

Gota love Jim’s Mowing , keeping the prices up and never gets the job thanks heaps Jim’s Mowing your my best business partner that I don’t have to do anything for.
Posted 19 December 2017 - 08:26 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Jim’S Mowing

So you quoted cheaper than the Jims guy?

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:34 PM

Mattie
Mattie

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Jim’S Mowing

Depends , they have a $60 rule for average lawn , can easily go $55 but most times just match and get job through personality .
Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:56 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Jim’S Mowing

Jims dont have rules, we charge whatever we like. I generally charge $60 to $80 for an hours lawn mowing. I know some Jims that charge half that

Posted 21 December 2017 - 03:39 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Jim’S Mowing

If i charge you $60 for a mow i would want to be out there in less than half an hour  :)

Work less charge more as some one used to say

Posted 21 December 2017 - 04:17 PM

Mattie
Mattie

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Jim’S Mowing

Jims dont have rules, we charge whatever we like. I generally charge $60 to $80 for an hours lawn mowing. I know some Jims that charge half that

The local guy here seems to put 60 on everything that’s 800sq average , he is easy to read and he uses rideon on everything which he loses jobs because he’s too sloppy.
Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:25 PM

Monty
Monty

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Jim’S Mowing

Generally, for a $60.00 edge-mow-blow lawn we are in and out within 15 minutes. But depending on travel or location the scheduling can vary to make sure the income meets the target.
Posted 21 December 2017 - 06:27 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula

Jim’S Mowing

Generally, for a $60.00 edge-mow-blow lawn we are in and out within 15 minutes. But depending on travel or location the scheduling can vary to make sure the income meets the target.

number in your crew and lawn size

makes a difference

times mean nothing

well tuned crew of 3 can turn them over, a bloke on his own takes a little longer

(Grae)

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:25 PM

insert witty saying here "________________"

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Jim’S Mowing

Yes when I say an hour I mean from the time I park the rig and the time I leave.

Posted 21 December 2017 - 07:43 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Jim’S Mowing

I don't come up against them (or anyone else really) when quoting very often. I normally show up, quote, get job and book it in. (Beauty of quoting when the client is home)

I always just worry about what I would charge not anyone else. 

Some Jims and VIPs here are to cheap (usually for the sneaky cash ones they don't tell Jim about) and a few charge around my price. I'm always telling them (and every other lawnie) to up their prices but I spose with that Franchise fee and their extra costs they need more work. Ive seen them running around on Sat arvos and Sundays, the poor buggers.

Local guy here had 3 VIPS. Sold em all and is running around with a smaller trailer and no signage doing just mows now. Guy who bought the 3 is running staff and from what I'm hearing loosing customers fast. One of the original staff members is now running his own show full of his old bosses good clients. lol.

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:33 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Jim’S Mowing

but I spose with that Franchise fee and their extra costs they need more work

All the more reason to up the price. ;)

Posted 22 December 2017 - 02:58 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Jim’S Mowing

All the more reason to up the price. ;)

I'm happy with what I charge and more importantly I'm happy with my clients.

I picked up a new client from a referral a couple of weeks ago. Mowed her unit yesterday. The lawn is like 3 x 3 meters and I went round her little garden beds and removed some weeds that were coming up. I think it takes longer unloading and loading than doing. $25 min charge job. I recon I was their an hr. Two cups of tea and some tea cake. Was a good first start to the day. 

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:10 PM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationNorth West of Brisbane
  • Business Name:Chris's Leaves and Lawns

Jim’S Mowing

A bit off topic- I like to have all my gear and what I do fairly well hidden-there has been few reports in news along eastern side of Australia of Franchise mowing business having trailers and a lot of expensive gear stolen-with those huge trailer's and 'Jim mowing' etc written all over them-easy targets for thieves. When I'm on a job I 'll have a wool bale bag leaned up along side of ute with sprayed stencil of my business name-picked up a lot of new customers next door etc from that. But when finished and want to do a bit of shopping all is hidden away so less of a chance of theives.

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:19 AM

Mattie
Mattie

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Jim’S Mowing

Good idea zippy , unfortunately I’ve heard Jim’s blokes whinging because they been doing a job for years and someone down the road see trailer and rings for quote and another Jim turns up and gets the job . When quite obviously the original call came because of the sight of the trailer and bloke Mowing .
I had 8k of gear stolen from my property back in 2009 they cut my side fence and drove vehicle through a vacant paddock . These scum bags drive around casing joints and anything with a trailer is a target.
Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:38 AM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Jim’S Mowing

Good idea zippy , unfortunately I’ve heard Jim’s blokes whinging because they been doing a job for years and someone down the road see trailer and rings for quote and another Jim turns up and gets the job . When quite obviously the original call came because of the sight of the trailer and bloke Mowing .
I had 8k of gear stolen from my property back in 2009 they cut my side fence and drove vehicle through a vacant paddock . These scum bags drive around casing joints and anything with a trailer is a target.

Yes-some interesting points there-very disappointing to hear of your loss-it does seem trailers with gear are targeted. I will try and post another pic of my set up.

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:02 PM

First Cut
First Cut

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Jim’S Mowing

Seems like to me there is plenty of work for everyone.

Jim's seem to fill a niche for certain parts of the market and independents for other parts of the market.
Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:32 PM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Jim’S Mowing

The local guy here seems to put 60 on everything that’s 800sq average , he is easy to read and he uses rideon on everything which he loses jobs because he’s too sloppy.

had plenty of customers tell me bad stories of dudes turn up to small town blocks wit ride on-do a rushed job and cause damage,worked with another contractor that also seemed bent on ride ons for town jobs-just not worth the hassele- fine on out of town blocks.

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:46 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula

Jim’S Mowing

Your best advertisement is attention to detail, not a name on a sign.

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:21 PM

insert witty saying here "________________"

Mattie
Mattie

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Jim’S Mowing

had plenty of customers tell me bad stories of dudes turn up to small town blocks wit ride on-do a rushed job and cause damage,worked with another contractor that also seemed bent on ride ons for town jobs-just not worth the hassele- fine on out of town blocks.

Yep spot on , lazy lawnies don’t last,seen plenty come and go after a few years.
Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:25 AM

Mattie
Mattie

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Jim’S Mowing

Your best advertisement is attention to detail, not a name on a sign.

That’s it Grae , I have never been sacked off a job for bad workmanship . Lost a few for price rises , but even some of them came back after they realise , quality , reliability and at####ude is worth a little extra coin.
Posted 29 December 2017 - 05:29 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales