Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Locationpacking up and retiring to Tassie

Wheelie Bins

Bin day can slow down some jobs and help on others

Moving bins costs time and can be a pain if the street is full of cars as well

I use my local councils interactive web site to sort out bin days before I slot a new client into the round.

but sometimes bin day works to your advantage…

I have a job that requires the removal of 3 bins from the rear access path so I can get the mower past, and nowhere to put them but on the front lawn, this means I have to finish the back yard before I can even mow the front, then put the bins back and lock the gate…

but If I go on bin day I only have to move one.

and if you have to catch it, slot it in after the green waste collection day and you will have an empty bin.

My council also has high quality aerial photos on the same page they list bin days, helps heaps with quoting before I even visit the site.

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:03 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

DB86
DB86

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Business Name:DB

Wheelie Bins

Bin day can slow down some jobs and help on others

Moving bins costs time and can be a pain if the street is full of cars as well

I use my local councils interactive web site to sort out bin days before I slot a new client into the round.

but sometimes bin day works to your advantage…

I have a job that requires the removal of 3 bins from the rear access path so I can get the mower past, and nowhere to put them but on the front lawn, this means I have to finish the back yard before I can even mow the front, then put the bins back and lock the gate…

but If I go on bin day I only have to move one.

and if you have to catch it, slot it in after the green waste collection day and you will have an empty bin.

My council also has high quality aerial photos on the same page they list bin days, helps heaps with quoting before I even visit the site.

I have customers who wont allow me to use the green bin because it makes the bin messy and smelly.

FFS!.........................that's what bins are for, messy and smelly things. :angry:

So in essence, said customer is paying rates on a green bin and then not using it. :wacko:

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:39 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Wheelie Bins

I had a customer who wanted me to put clippings in plastic garbage bags before putting them in the green bin - I declined and put them in my Aldi 270ltr garden bags and drop them off at one of my 3 dump points on the way home.

Posted 20 December 2017 - 06:50 PM

Monty
Monty

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Wheelie Bins

Bin days work for me in certain runs as I can get rid of access clippings without bring any home...
Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:35 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Locationpacking up and retiring to Tassie

Wheelie Bins

Dad joke

Full catcher in hand…

G'day, bloke, I haven't seen you for weeks, where's your Wheelie Bin?

"I've really been in jail but don't tell anyone!"

(DeeJ)

and re the mates rates, dad sorted that years ago

got none!

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:47 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Wheelie Bins

Dad joke

Full catcher in hand…

G'day, bloke, I haven't seen you for weeks, where's your Wheelie Bin?

"I've really been in jail but don't tell anyone!"

(DeeJ)

and re the mates rates, dad sorted that years ago

got none!

Safer that way  ;)

Posted 21 December 2017 - 05:54 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Wheelie Bins

I've posted this before but can't help saying it again - yes clippings are a hassle if you've got to take them to the local dump and pay to drop - I get it - but I put an ad on Gumtree for anyone wanting clippings and I've got 3 locals spread around less than a klm from my place that I swing past and offload on the way home - takes less than 5 mins - allows me to catch the few that need it and not worry about it.

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:34 PM

Monty
Monty

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Wheelie Bins

Great idea Crocster...what would they use all that clipping for, surely not compost?
Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:59 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Wheelie Bins

Great idea Crocster...what would they use all that clipping for, surely not compost?

The main one I use is a retired vietnamese couple who've turned most of a big block into a food garden - and any clippings they can't use they give to their friends - another inherited a home which was the original homestead for the farm that was developed into The Avenue estate in Sunnybank Hills - he wants to turn it back into a productive small lot so he basically wants an acre of clippings 3 foot deep - 

The whole scheme works really well because there's a place on my way home from wherever I end up on any day - just swing by drop the side and dump.

Now if I could just find someone who wants bl00dy palm fronds  :lol:

Posted 22 December 2017 - 05:59 AM

wombat
wombat

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Wheelie Bins

At the moment  I have 2\3 drop off points and haven't  paid tip fees for years but I wont put them in someone else plastic bin bags that's just a pita.

Posted 13 January 2018 - 10:45 PM

Richo1
Richo1

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Business Name:The Lawn God (residential)

Wheelie Bins

Hi Wombat,

What do you describe as a drop off point, large waste bins etc?

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:20 AM

Craigg
Craigg

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Wheelie Bins

I take the clippings away. This saves me asking the customers. I am lucky as i have a couple of people that have properties so i can fill in holes around the place or the put the clippings in there garden.
Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:26 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales