Barefoot
Barefoot

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast

Hedge Trimmer

Hi all.
I keep getting asked by a couple of my regulars if I do hedges.
So I’m thinking it’s time to invest in a hedge trimmer.
At the moment I didn’t want to spend to much, as money is a bit tight, so I was thinking possibly the Hs45 as just a starter.
Then in the future possibly will get the attachment for my Husky mul####ool.

So just wondering if many have experience with the Hs45 or is there another budget hedge trimmers I should be having a look at.

Thanks in advance
Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:44 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Hedge Trimmer

I use a cheap ryobi 18v pole hedge trimmer.  I thought it would do me starting out and I'd upgrade to something decent but surprisingly it held up very well.  Over the last year I've used it at least once a week, and on some very large hedges, it has done the job on all of them.  It will cut about 12mm thick branches which is about the half thickness of some of the better machines will do but for trimming this is more than enough.  The huge advantage it has is weight, so light I can use it for hours, I would never buy a petrol trimmer for this reason.  I would also never buy a normal hedge trimmer over a pole trimmer as the pole trimmer will do the job a normal trimmer but also allow you to do tall hedges.

You will need at least 2 or 3 batteries for it though as they only last about 30mins.

I note Ryobi now has a 36v version which cuts 25mm thickness although it is heavier and the pole doesn't have the same reach as the 18v.  I would also look at Ego 56v trimmers.  They sell a normal hedge trimmer but no pole trimmer unless you go the multi tool.

Posted 30 December 2017 - 06:17 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Hedge Trimmer

I have two HS45's, a long bar and a short bar. Ive had no issues with either and they are 3 and 6 years old roughly.

I also have the hedge attachment that fits the Kombi unit and use it more than the dedicated units. Its faster, easier, and hurts less. 

If money is tight maybe look at the mul####ool attachment and a Bunnings hand held for tighter spots.

Posted 30 December 2017 - 08:00 AM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Hedge Trimmer

I have the Stihl multi tool, its a great unit and very versatile. Also have an Echo hedge trimmer, I hate it, it is so farkin noisy! It now sits in the shed as a mate who works for AEG has loaned me a 58V Battery Hedge Trimmer, its a little heavy but is an amazing unit. I absolutely love the lack of noise and is easier to throw around than a petrol motor job as there is so little vibration and inner motion from a pumping cylinder motor. He is going to loan me the 18V version soon to compare.

If I was to do again I would still buy the Stihl Kombi, wouldnt be without it and paid for itself on its first outing. But when it comes to the hand helds I would seriously consider the battery operated units. A combination of a pole hedger and a battery hand held is perfect in my opinion.

The thing about hedging is its something you dont do everyday so are able to plan to have the battery charged for the day its required etc.

The other thing about hedging is it always looks soooooo much easier than it actually is. After a half day hedging I am a complete wreck, it is very tough on the body and often a big clean up. One tip on quoting hedging is always ask the customer how much they want trimmed off, are they after trimming.....or renovating? Will it be purely the hedge trimmer, or will the chainsaw/loppers/pruners be coming out too? I also add another 1/3 for cleanup time. And never under $100 an hour.

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:05 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Hedge Trimmer

I bought the Ego multi tool hedger/pole saw setup for the same reasons as you - clients asking for it - I'm very happy with the gear - wouldn't buy petrol now - same proviso as Plucka said - get one more battery than you think you'll need - I agree with others who've posted elsewhere that hedging is bl00dy hard work and worth a lot more than mowing - not sure I could get $2 a minute tho.

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:06 AM

mark4879
mark4879

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationFar North Queensland

Hedge Trimmer

I use the Stihl Kombi tool and have the adjustable hedger attachment. I bought this set up to save on space and also have the whipper and chainsaw attachments.

I like the fact that i don't have to reach to much with the hedger and can alter its angle so can go over the top of a taller hedge quite easily.

I did have the Stihl Hs45 as a 600mm blade version which i think Stihl have a special on of $349.  I could not fault this, which lasted me about 6years. I hedged about 5-6 hours per week easily and found it quite heavy to use after a long spell.

The Kombi tool attachment in my view is better, the only drawback is its hard to manoeuvre in tight spaces.

Posted 30 December 2017 - 10:48 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Hedge Trimmer

I dont do hedging as a job but for the very minor job that i do, the 40v Victa handheld is heaps. Found it handy for getting strangler vine down from fences too. ( mainly chain mesh up here ).

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:56 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Hedge Trimmer

I have the Stihl multi tool, its a great unit and very versatile. Also have an Echo hedge trimmer, I hate it, it is so farkin noisy! It now sits in the shed as a mate who works for AEG has loaned me a 58V Battery Hedge Trimmer, its a little heavy but is an amazing unit. I absolutely love the lack of noise and is easier to throw around than a petrol motor job as there is so little vibration and inner motion from a pumping cylinder motor. He is going to loan me the 18V version soon to compare.

You might be waiting awhile, i dont think they do an 18v hedge trimmer. I have got an 18v line trimmer and for day to day stuff it,s plenty.

Posted 30 December 2017 - 12:59 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Hedge Trimmer

l do lots of hedging - get the attachment for your husky.....make sure its articulated

Posted 30 December 2017 - 04:45 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Hedge Trimmer

What’s the definition of difficult, hard work expensive hedges.

The echo 1500 hedger sucks
Posted 30 December 2017 - 05:16 PM

Steve35
Steve35

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Hedge Trimmer

I used the HS45 for 3 years up until a few months ago. 

Overall a good budget trimmer and never had an issue with it and is a good starter trimmer.

Only problem was it was noisey and would blow hot fumes in your face while trimming.

I agree with the others though, go battery, it will save you time, discomfort and money in the long run. 

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:07 PM

DB86
DB86

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Business Name:DB

Hedge Trimmer

I have a HS45 and it has done everything I have ever asked of it. A larger fuel tank is the only improvement that I can think of.

That said, I think come replacement time I will be looking towards getting something battery powered, with the associated weight saving being the main motivator. As mentioned by others, swinging a hedge trimmer for even half a day is a rather physical task, even for the younger of us.

Posted 30 December 2017 - 07:21 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Hedge Trimmer

You might be waiting awhile, i dont think they do an 18v hedge trimmer. I have got an 18v line trimmer and for day to day stuff it,s plenty.

18V about to be released in January.

Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:17 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Hedge Trimmer

If it,s anything like the 18v line trimmer it,ll be nice and light , i dont take the Honda or Makita with me any more unless i know it,s  up for some heavy work.

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:31 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Hedge Trimmer

- not sure I could get $2 a minute tho.

You will if you quote the job and not give an hrly rate. 

The beer bobs will quote high as they will be using a small hand held and a ladder.

Your quote will be similar but get done in 1/5th of the time due to having the proper gear.

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:33 AM

Steve35
Steve35

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Hedge Trimmer

You will if you quote the job and not give an hrly rate. 

The beer bobs will quote high as they will be using a small hand held and a ladder.

Your quote will be similar but get done in 1/5th of the time due to having the proper gear.

Exactly!

Posted 31 December 2017 - 09:11 AM

Barefoot
Barefoot

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast

Hedge Trimmer

Thanks for all the replies guys.
After a bit of consideration I think I’ll probably go for the attachment for the husky.
I just watched a video on YouTube of a bloke doing a hedge over 2m high with the attachment and how easy it did it.
As Lucky said you would have to use a ladder with the handheld otherwise to do something like that.
Posted 31 December 2017 - 12:14 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Hedge Trimmer

Thanks for all the replies guys.
After a bit of consideration I think I’ll probably go for the attachment for the husky.
I just watched a video on YouTube of a bloke doing a hedge over 2m high with the attachment and how easy it did it.
As Lucky said you would have to use a ladder with the handheld otherwise to do something like that.

I used to be that guy...scary stuff on taller hedges and uneven ground. When I ran with a partner one of us used to hold the ladder steady...lol..fkme...he fell once...

With the attachment you will be able to do like a 5 meter high x 30 meter hedge in 20-30 min. Good hourly dollars in that if you quote it properly. 

If you will be using an A frame ladder/s for the top and it hasn't got an adjustable leg then a few different timber cut offs can work ok. Make sure they are a decent size though. Woobly ladders are not worth stepping onto.

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:07 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,503 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Hedge Trimmer

I probably need to bite  the bullet and get one of these if I'm going to do hedging in 2018:-

at the moment the battery pole setup makes hedging easier for this old body but it's still something I avoid doing when it could be quite profitable.

Posted 31 December 2017 - 05:27 PM

beer_money_bob
beer_money_bob

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • Business Name:Shane's Lawn mowing and garden care

Hedge Trimmer

Where do I get one of these brilliant contraptions
Posted 31 December 2017 - 06:00 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales