goodmowing
goodmowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Trainee

Hi guys,

Today I have my youngest brother come along to our work, I want him to get life experience and knowing what it's like to earn income and create work for yourself. He's 17 years old, spending his time playing video games.

What's your opinion about this? What's the best approach? Bad or good idea?

Thank you,
Nep
Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:21 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Trainee

Hi guys,

Today I have my youngest brother come along to our work, I want him to get life experience and knowing what it's like to earn income and create work for yourself. He's 17 years old, spending his time playing video games.

What's your opinion about this? What's the best approach? Bad or good idea?

Thank you,
Nep

What's your opinion about this?   Waste of time if he is living for free with his parents, if this is true the problem is your parents they need to stop all money and privileges, he needs to  learn money has to be earned by working.   he needs to need money enough that he wants to work for it

What's the best approach?   Get your parents to start parenting, stop giving him money and games to play, disconnect the Internet and take the TV out of his room.   get them to tell him to ask you for some part time work for his spending money.

Bad or good idea?  good idea to be tough and charge board and don't give young adult money. 

Teaching children to be independent is good parenting, Not is child abuse.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:19 PM

goodmowing
goodmowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Trainee

What's your opinion about this? Waste of time if he is living for free with his parents, if this is true the problem is your parents they need to stop all money and privileges, he needs to learn money has to be earned by working. he needs to need money enough that he wants to work for it

What's the best approach? Get your parents to start parenting, stop giving him money and games to play, disconnect the Internet and take the TV out of his room. get them to tell him to ask you for some part time work for his spending money.

Bad or good idea? good idea to be tough and charge board and don't give young adult money.

Teaching children to be independent is good parenting, Not is child abuse.

Awesome feedback. I was leaning towards more.about him being on the job. More about, tips on training and best approach. That is why I am getting him out to work, I want him to learn and earn money and he's doing it. He's going out again tomorrow. Thanks for your parenting feedback.
Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:01 PM

bakes
bakes

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSafety Bay, Western Australia
  • Business Name:Rockingham Mobile Mowing

Trainee

I drag my 13yr old son out with me during the school holidays, every day I work he works, he has never complained and he quickly learnt the value of the dollar.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:06 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Trainee

Yeah, I am close to getting some help here and there. Have a massive job coming up and have been thinking a lot on this and have decided I want a man and not a boy.
I Havent got time to culture change some snot nosed idiot and would rather support a hard working laid off blue collar guy who knows the meaning of sweat and a hard earned dollar. And I would reward him with a good dollar.

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:35 PM

goodmowing
goodmowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Trainee

I drag my 13yr old son out with me during the school holidays, every day I work he works, he has never complained and he quickly learnt the value of the dollar.

That great to hear. They gotta learn early haha :)

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:26 AM

goodmowing
goodmowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Trainee

Yeah, I am close to getting some help here and there. Have a massive job coming up and have been thinking a lot on this and have decided I want a man and not a boy.
I Havent got time to culture change some snot nosed idiot and would rather support a hard working laid off blue collar guy who knows the meaning of sweat and a hard earned dollar. And I would reward him with a good dollar.

Haha, that's also a great approach to getting a laid-off guy. 

Most people don't think about the short distance future. What if I was laid-off, what should I do, should I be working on a side project when I was in my mid 30's or just keep working and hope my job is safe forever? I am in my mid 30's, and that is something I am thinking about at the moment - what can I do, once you start working for yourself it's hard to be back working for someone else. 

It's when things change; they seek opportunities to buy into a franchise business. That's what I love. But if you were to start earlier, you would be over the moon, having a few guys on the team and work hard for the next ten years and not to worry about being made redundant. That's where I am at haha.

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:36 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Trainee

Awesome feedback. I was leaning towards more.about him being on the job. More about, tips on training and best approach. That is why I am getting him out to work, I want him to learn and earn money and he's doing it. He's going out again tomorrow. Thanks for your parenting feedback.

give him all your Safe operating procedures to read and all the equipment manuals and get him to read the operator sections.

time is money learn from the start to do all things fast.  eg: trimming learn from the start to do it fast because that how you have to do it to make money. 

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:08 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Trainee

Great stuff its good to see other young guys in the game there is nothing more rewarding than putting in a hard days work.

Its also a huge advantage as you can teach him the way you like thing to be done e.g edging and hedging as he dosent have any bad habbits form previous jobs.

Ive had my fair share of young dead beat workers lol

I had a 17 year old apprentice working with me for around a year but had to let him go he was just too unreliable and hung over all the time lol.

I now have an older guy working with me its been great hes always on time and goes hammer and tongs all day.

Hes also a chippy by trade which is great for quiet times as we do the odd handyman and landscaping jobs.
Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:20 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Trainee

Whatever you do make sure he is inducted and is paid the correct wages, super, holiday pay etc. Make sure you have their correct and current details and double check that you have paid workers comp insurance properly and that he is covered by your own liability insurance (get this in writing).

Having anyone work for you could be a financial nightmare if you are not doing it legal.

Before asking anyone to work for you seek professional advice.

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Trainee

I have been told by many that the best way is too hire them as a contractor with their own ABN etc.

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:13 PM

goodmowing
goodmowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Trainee

Thank you very much guys for all the feedback, much appreciate and will keep them in mind when moving forward.

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:07 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Trainee

I have been told by many that the best way is too hire them as a contractor with their own ABN etc.

I belive they still need to be inducted. Which makes sense as even truck drivers need to be inducted to each site they visit these days, building workers are the same. When I was a delivery driver for a bakery I had to be inducted on the wharfs every damn year as I delivered to a few ships.)

Someone else on hear recently pointed out that its all well and good for them to be subcontracted but when the chit hits the fan if you are their main source of income it comes back to you.  I'm guessing that's so young "sub contractors" are not taken advantage of. If they hurt themselves their insurance company (and work safe) will be chasing somebody if they are able to...

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales