plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Insurance

So if you mow a lawn and flick a copper pipe that was left behind from a previous trade employee then it isn't your fault. 

Lol, not your fault?  Explain that to any insurance company and let me know what they say.   

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:01 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Insurance

Quite apart from the protection too, it's a way to differentiate "us" from the throng of clowns who will quote $10 or more less than me for a lawn - I carry a copy of the policy statement and my Police Check Cert to all quotes - strangely, sadly, tho it doesn't seem to be something homeowner clients think about in seeking a lawnmowing service - I have NEVER been asked upfront about it - but I always produce the folder when we meet and suggest they seek similar proof from anyone else who quotes them and factor it in to their decision.

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:14 AM

Steve35
Steve35

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Insurance

Quite apart from the protection too, it's a way to differentiate "us" from the throng of clowns who will quote $10 or more less than me for a lawn - I carry a copy of the policy statement and my Police Check Cert to all quotes - strangely, sadly, tho it doesn't seem to be something homeowner clients think about in seeking a lawnmowing service - I have NEVER been asked upfront about it - but I always produce the folder when we meet and suggest they seek similar proof from anyone else who quotes them and factor it in to their decision.

They don't care Croc.

I have never been asked about insurance either, in fact I've actually told them I don't have any just to see what would happen and they have no concern at all.

I have insurance for my peace of mind, not theirs.

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:27 PM

GreenGrass
GreenGrass

• Lawn Club Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Business Name:GreenGrass Mowing & Lawn Care

Insurance

Hi all,

I am new to this forum so apologies in advance if I am repeating something that has been posted elsewhere.

If you are looking at a new policy and you do hedges & trees you should clarify with your insurer the exclusion most have specifically related to this work.  I have just gotten off the phone with Allianz, our existing insurer, after noticing a non-negotiable exclusion that states...

"any tree felling or lopping by you or on your behalf where the tree to be felled or lopped exceeds 3.5 metres in height."

When I asked for clarification from their underwriters in detail on what this excluded they confirmed that regardless of the working height (the representative specified a branch at knee high or hedge trimming while standing on the ground) if I do anything to a tree, hedge or plant of any kind, and the total height of the plant is above 3.5m my insurance is voided for that activity.

This may all sound obvious with hindsight but when I took out the policy I was very clear on the height at which we work to, 5m, and I was assured that this policy would be fine.

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:53 AM

Trevc
Trevc

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Insurance

I just increased mine from a height of 5m to 10m with QBE, cost me another $10/mth.
Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:47 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Insurance

Yes mine covers a height of 5 meters, remember if you don’t have a herbicide distribution license or pest control license if anyone has a reaction to the Roundup or grub spray your insurance won’t cover you.
Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:45 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Locationgetting ready for hibernation

Insurance

tread carefully…

and if it comes down to insurance, you don't get to write the rules

and if the policy writers did it perfectly from their end, they probably got the win

EDIT: Insurance is you betting you may F up and them betting you won't. The premium you pay has a cost bias based on the idiots and fraudulent claimants that proceeded you

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:44 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

Richo1
Richo1

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Business Name:The Lawn God (residential)

Insurance

Does anyone know if WA needs a Spray Chemical Licence.

I have a AgVet Chemical Users Certificate from WA Tafe?

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:53 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  • Locationgetting ready for hibernation

Insurance

Yes, these people should know

https://www.agric.wa.gov.au

Posted 12 February 2018 - 05:14 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

Richo1
Richo1

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Business Name:The Lawn God (residential)

Insurance

Yep need a Licence to spray chemicals, course takes 2 months before I can do practical.

ChemCert Chemical certificate not valid as they did not have a practical in it.

Was 2 day course and it's not acceptable because I have not had someone watch me spray a weed.

More money, I wonder how many in WA have one?

I need $75 hr just to break even. 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:57 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Insurance

if you don’t have a herbicide distribution license or pest control license if anyone has a reaction to the Roundup or grub spray your insurance won’t cover you.

I understand that depends on if the council requires you to have a spray licence. Not all councils do.

I had a idiot threaten to sue me for poisoning his dog and he blamed glypho for loss of hair and skin problems on one of his dogs. He was just trying it on and this fellow is known to threaten to sue and scared business's just pay up rather than go to court.

He lived in a neighbouring property.

Anyway in my case even his vet would not support his claim against me and I did ring my insurance and the council it had taken place in during the ordeal and the council did not have any laws in place regarding glypho spraying for profit (this seems to be the key, anyone can spray it but if you charging for it you need a licence.)  and the insurance company would of stood by me as I was legally spraying.

He ended up dropping the case when he found out I was not going to just roll over.

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

Road Runner
Road Runner

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationPerth WA
  • Business Name:She Oaks Gardening Service

Insurance

Richo1

We looked into WA spraying certification but it was $800 each for the course and a pretty hefty annual fee each. Just couldn't justify the cost. We only spray glypho on a small scale, are both able to read instructions and apply according to those instructions so we take the risk of being unlicensed. I doubt very many small scale operators here in WA would be licensed.

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:46 PM

bakes
bakes

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationSafety Bay, Western Australia
  • Business Name:Rockingham Mobile Mowing

Insurance

Richo1

We looked into WA spraying certification but it was $800 each for the course and a pretty hefty annual fee each. Just couldn't justify the cost. We only spray glypho on a small scale, are both able to read instructions and apply according to those instructions so we take the risk of being unlicensed. I doubt very many small scale operators here in WA would be licensed.

I was looking into doing the two courses myself, knew about the course cost, never once did they mention an ongoing annual fee cost.

Might put that on the back burner for the time being

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:47 PM

Road Runner
Road Runner

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationPerth WA
  • Business Name:She Oaks Gardening Service

Insurance

Google 'pest industry licensing WA' looks like the technician license is $170 and you may also need a business operators license for $340. Both subject to annual renewal. Also there are very specific requirements about signage on all work vehicles and a requirement for local government approval if your store pesticides (which includes herbicides) at home. You will have to make time for your vehicles to be inspected and approved for use..

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:52 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales