• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

The Weather Channel

(Sponsored by Jim's Mowing :ph34r:)

This is the view down my street at the moment:-

Attached File  dubai-morning-desert-safari-03.jpg   48.64KB   3 downloads

The guy on the hill is showing them the way to Sunnybank Hills Shoppingtown - all I can say regarding business at the moment is faaaarck.

Ps: no intent to inflame feelings with the (bad) Jim's joke - I'm a certified old f@rt now and I know I'd rather have a laugh......

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:26 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

The Weather Channel

Lol good one Croc:)
Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:51 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

The Weather Channel

Read it and weep  :P

http://www.bom.gov.a...loop.shtml#skip

Posted 23 January 2018 - 07:57 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

The Weather Channel

This is a job from today, the ground is cracking:(

Attached Files

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

The Weather Channel

This is a job from today, the ground is cracking:(

How can you justify mowing that?

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:32 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

The Weather Channel

The need to eat I'd say! - all my lawns this week are 2 weekly's and there's not one of them really needs mowing - I just pick one or two every day that are going to give me the least Black Lung and do them.

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:07 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

The Weather Channel

Was it raining like barggery when you saved the link? - it's dynamic and looks almost clear now - better get off your ar$e and go mow  :lol:

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:15 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts
  • LocationDarwin

The Weather Channel

http://www.bom.gov.a...od/darwin.shtml

Since 0900 zip nothing nada, just a bit sweaty.

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:27 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

The Weather Channel

Yeah I agree mate it’s a waste of time, but like Drew said you got to eat.
Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:38 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

The Weather Channel

The need to eat I'd say! - all my lawns this week are 2 weekly's and there's not one of them really needs mowing - I just pick one or two every day that are going to give me the least Black Lung and do them.

Yeah I agree mate it’s a waste of time, but like Drew said you got to eat.

Id just push em out to 4 or 6 weeks rather than charge someone for that. I just couldn't justify it to myself or my clients. 

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:40 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

The Weather Channel

Id just push em out to 4 or 6 weeks rather than charge someone for that. I just couldn't justify it to myself or my clients. 

Some people are pretty nutty about their lawns - I just sent out a block of texts to schedule the rest of the week - basically I offer to mow this week or postpone - 2 responses said please come - one of them will be approaching John's photo I'm sure - last dry spell I was mowing his footpath and a fellow walking past pointed to it and shrugged his shoulders as if to say "What the #### are you doing?" - I just smiled and collected the $60 from the meter box at the end - the customer is always right  :)

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:00 PM

Steve35
Steve35

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

The Weather Channel

Unfortunately some lawns can be like that for 6 months of the year in Brisbane. 

No-one like to do it when it's like that, and generally you don't mow them as often as others,  but how else can you survive?

I'm sure John only picked one part of a particular lawn for dramatic effect but never the less it's grim atm.

3 weeks ago it was long green and lush, incredible how fast things can change.

I'm looking at the surface pressure/rainfall map and there appears to be some low pressure systems developing that MAY bring some change in the pattern by the end of next week for central Australia and the east coast, fingers crossed.

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts
  • LocationDarwin

The Weather Channel

Generally speaking if we have a lousy monsoon you get little rain. But at the moment you have 3% more water in the dams than this time last year so you must have been dry last year.

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:58 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

The Weather Channel

Unfortunately some lawns can be like that for 6 months of the year in Brisbane. 

No-one like to do it when it's like that, and generally you don't mow them as often as others,  but how else can you survive?

I'm sure John only picked one part of a particular lawn for dramatic effect but never the less it's grim atm.

3 weeks ago it was long green and lush, incredible how fast things can change.

I'm looking at the surface pressure/rainfall map and there appears to be some low pressure systems developing that MAY bring some change in the pattern by the end of next week for central Australia and the east coast, fingers crossed.

Dry here to, even the dandelions have stopped growing .It's summer. Happens nearly every year. I just booked a few days down at Wine glass bay. 

I posted a thread a week or so ago, just like last year. Its time to have some down time till autumn. 

If its that dry for 6 months of the year then I can see why I don't need as many customers as you do up there but in saying that even in the growing seasons most my clients are at 3 weeks and not two....so may wash up the same.

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:04 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

The Weather Channel

I’m starting to question the liveability of where we are, the number of days over 40 seems to double every year. This week is good, no days start with a 4 although 34 is the coolest on the 7 day forecast.
I mow for the people that water the lawn and the others are pretty hit and mostly miss.

When you lose time to wet weather you know it’ll come back but when you lose time to day after day of 40+ it’s no good. The telling point was when the chick doing the weather said it’ll be 45 tomorrow casually, it’s not even a story anymore.
Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

The Weather Channel

I’m starting to question the liveability of where we are, the number of days over 40 seems to double every year. This week is good, no days start with a 4 although 34 is the coolest on the 7 day forecast.
I mow for the people that water the lawn and the others are pretty hit and mostly miss.

When you lose time to wet weather you know it’ll come back but when you lose time to day after day of 40+ it’s no good. The telling point was when the chick doing the weather said it’ll be 45 tomorrow casually, it’s not even a story anymore.

Yes SB, and it could actually be worse than the forecasted temps - I saw a show (might have been Quantum) about the micro climate in some of the newer housing estates where they don't give a rats #### about environment - just how much can we clear the trees, how narrow can we make the streets, and how many 2 story McMansions can we jam into the area - it was like 5-10 deg hotter - I know there's some of these type I mow in up in Bris and they're just sweltering, breathless holes.

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:32 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

The Weather Channel

Yes SB, and it could actually be worse than the forecasted temps - I saw a show (might have been Quantum) about the micro climate in some of the newer housing estates where they don't give a rats #### about environment - just how much can we clear the trees, how narrow can we make the streets, and how many 2 story McMansions can we jam into the area - it was like 5-10 deg hotter - I know there's some of these type I mow in up in Bris and they're just sweltering, breathless holes.

You forgot to mention that almost every house in these estates with black roofs and little or no eaves.  All good though they all have huge ducted A/C's but then cry poor about the power bills. Clueless.

Posted 24 January 2018 - 07:51 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

The Weather Channel

You forgot to mention that almost every house in these estates with black roofs and little or no eaves.  All good though they all have huge ducted A/C's but then cry poor about the power bills. Clueless.

Yep Plucka, and of course every home has a 2mtr high colorbond fence to prevent any hint of a breeze making it through the tiny back yards

our home used to be a hotbox 10 years ago - we were going to go the traditional route of batts or foil in the roof - but something made me think why not stop the heat before it gets in - so we had all exterior surfaces done with a heat reflective membrane - the only choices were light colours otherwise it wouldn't work (hint hint) - so ours is a few shades off white - yes it sticks out like a sore thumb but it transormed the place - probably 10-15 deg cooler upstairs -

so now I see a black car or dark roof and think "Do you really want to suffer that much for style or fashion?" - we finally gave in and got a 3.2KW unit last August and it does the loungeroom fine for 23c/hour.

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:08 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

The Weather Channel

Put The Ponds NSW into your mapping to see my home turf. Everything that’s been mentioned and more
Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:53 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,043 posts

The Weather Channel

Yep could be any new estate in Australia.
Posted 24 January 2018 - 09:05 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales