plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

The Weather Channel

I think overall we had a pretty good season with rain, lawns are looking about as green as I've ever seen.  I remember back about 10 years ago when we had those multiple years of drought, water restrictions and Brisbane damns were below 20%-  I don't know how lawnies survived during those time, I guess many didn't.  It's really the only thing that worries me in this job as we have absolutely zero control over it.

Posted 02 May 2018 - 06:53 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

The Weather Channel

I think overall we had a pretty good season with rain, lawns are looking about as green as I've ever seen.  I remember back about 10 years ago when we had those multiple years of drought, water restrictions and Brisbane damns were below 20%-  I don't know how lawnies survived during those time, I guess many didn't.  It's really the only thing that worries me in this job as we have absolutely zero control over it.

And we're heading in to the dry quiet season now - most of mine are 3 weekly now (sigh of relief) - it's a game where you need another string to your bow if you need reliable year round income and don't want to do gardening IMHO -

I was at a job yesterday and met the guy who built these beautiful sleeper garden beds for them - another semi-retired old f@rt - talking to him I could see how much he loves his work - I'm looking forward to a breather now but will have to find some service to add I reckon - no fix/no fee mobile computer repairs maybe  :wacko: - kill me now.

Posted 02 May 2018 - 07:22 AM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

The Weather Channel

If the weather is good for you wherever you are at the moment that’s good, because it’s kind of stuck.
Hopefully only for a week or 2 and not already locking into the horrible spring pattern for the next 5 months
Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:11 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

The Weather Channel

Weather couldn't be better in Brisvegas - 12-25deg - low humidity, hardly any dew - very slow growth - I decided to catch a couple yesterday and ended up with about a catcher full per job so no time penalty - on to monthly cuts for most now so 2 days off next week -  I'll be doing a letterbox drop close to home to try drum up some new jobs and compact the run.

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:24 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

The Weather Channel

We have had some nice soaking rain spells along with nice sunny days and some heavy dews. Grass is growing well. Busy, busy. Already over cutting wet grass.

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:32 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

The Weather Channel

And gone quiet. Most are back out to 3 and 5 weeks.

Cold days have ended that little run. Plenty of rain but no heat during the day to warm the little roots.

Nice in front of the fire though.

Posted 12 June 2018 - 11:33 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

The Weather Channel

Best time of the year here in Brisvegas Lucky (as long as you don't need to make a buck) - clear blue skies - 10-24deg - late starts, early finishes - doesn't matter whether you mulch or catch because you won't fill the catcher on most jobs - regulalrly crack the mythical $100/hr barrier

haven't lit the fire in years but it's pretty nice out the back with a coffee and a book.

Posted 12 June 2018 - 02:41 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

The Weather Channel

I’ve been on my last decent week for about 6 weeks now, hopefully find a full day’s work for next week then add a few lawns and get through another week.
The shortest day of the year is around the corner then things should hopefully start the long slow recovery. June is my month with the lowest step count.
We’ve had a little rain each week lately although it’s still dry if you dig more than an inch or 2. Looks like that pattern will continue for a bit though.
Posted 12 June 2018 - 05:15 PM

Road Runner
Road Runner

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationPerth WA
  • Business Name:She Oaks Gardening Service

The Weather Channel

All the mowing jobs are out to 3 or 4 weekly for this month and next. Unfortunately this is the planting/weed growth/pruning time of the year. The shovels and chainsaws are getting a workout and next month will be rose pruning so better invest in another set of welding gloves.

Posted 12 June 2018 - 06:26 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

The Weather Channel

mowed 2 lawns in 1.5 weeks, needed the rain but......

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:26 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:ultimate property services

The Weather Channel

I'm mowing monthly....and even after a month nothing is growing....I'm more providing a vacuum service....lol

I tidy up the edges  , Doing lots of gardening ...I'm fortunate I have good clients how stick by me through winter.

I have alot of weed spraying jobs lined up (bindie)....i was going to wait till the worst of winter is over before i spayed..

what do you think ?

Posted 12 June 2018 - 07:48 PM

Road Runner
Road Runner

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationPerth WA
  • Business Name:She Oaks Gardening Service

The Weather Channel

Spray in winter for sure if you get a dry day of course.

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:10 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

The Weather Channel

as soon as its actively growing

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:12 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

The Weather Channel

wet weather stopping work, Advanced Scheduling for planned holidays isnt made easy with lost days to weather,  got 45 to do this week and only done 12 in 2 days and today looks like a washout, weekend work this week for sure.  35 next week so dont want to carry to many over. 

winter grass and weeds taking off, thankfully the summer grass lawns have had some frost on them and slowed to 3 weekly,

gunna put the coat on and give it a go even if i can get a few done between showers it gunna help.

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:27 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

The Weather Channel

did one lawn and now home agian, checked radar rain for next hour or more, try again in the arvo

Posted 14 June 2018 - 11:45 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

The Weather Channel

Ive had the week off so far and will more than likley have friday off to. Rain, rain and rain all week. The grass is just saturated and needs at least two days of no rain at all before ill start back up.

Problem with not working is spending money. I just got back from buying the wife a brand new car.

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:42 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

The Weather Channel

yep, online shopping is my downfall.......you'll be popular for a while :)

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales