Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

The Weather Channel

Attached File  1517359891563.jpg   54.89KB   2 downloads 

Did just the one job today. Taking the heads off a few dandelions.

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:36 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

The Weather Channel

And we know they tell no lies. ;)

Noticed your controls are separate mine are both on the one side, (left)

Edit: of course, different motor.

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:53 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin

The Weather Channel

I had a few to do today but couldnt help but notice this strange yellow thing in the sky, havnt seen it for days, wet as here.

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:55 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

The Weather Channel

36 here today - still bone dry but a cool change coming through - mid 20s till the weekend -

but 25.6mm for the month with 14.4mm of that falling on one day 4 weeks ago - I thought my houseproud neighbour's front lawn had grub but it's just a patchwork of dead areas from no rain - and nothing likely in the next week - 90% of my jobs are cancelling and I can't argue with them.

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:02 PM

Steve35
Steve35

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

The Weather Channel

36 here today - still bone dry but a cool change coming through - mid 20s till the weekend -

but 25.6mm for the month with 14.4mm of that falling on one day 4 weeks ago - I thought my houseproud neighbour's front lawn had grub but it's just a patchwork of dead areas from no rain - and nothing likely in the next week - 90% of my jobs are cancelling and I can't argue with them.

34mm here for the month. Yeah people are cancelling now and apart from a bit of drizzle tomorrow and Friday there is no decent rain coming until the last week in February from what I can see. :(

Posted 31 January 2018 - 02:29 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

The Weather Channel

19mm for the month 14 on one day
16 days over 35 degrees ave temp 34

There’s gum trees dying, that’s not supposed to happen
Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:48 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

The Weather Channel

Not to gloat but, in Melb, (Bayside anyway) I can't recall a greener summer.

Most of our customers don't irrigate their lawns, yet there still green.

Hope things improve for you guys.

Cheers Fred.

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:29 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin

The Weather Channel

Which part of a 1000mm would you like ...gloating  :)

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:51 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

The Weather Channel

Not to gloat but, in Melb, (Bayside anyway) I can't recall a greener summer.

Most of our customers don't irrigate their lawns, yet there still green.

Hope things improve for you guys.

Cheers Fred.

Cheers Fred,

It's pretty grim here and in a lot of other places at the moment - I'm not leaving the industry but I need to find something else to fill in the income at the moment - the young guys at my local liquor barn get $30 an hour to sell booze so I'm going to look at the possibility of some casual shifts there

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:22 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

The Weather Channel

Well a bit of good news here:-

Attached File  Radar.jpg   156.01KB   0 downloads

only a couple of mm here so far but anything helps

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

The Weather Channel

Only 5mm from those showers crocster, enough to wet the dust, hopefully we get some more today and tomorrow.   How good are these temps though, from 34 yesterday to 24 today, what a relief.

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:07 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

The Weather Channel

Gloating? This is the best time of the year!. We get lots of time off!!

I'm enjoying the time off. Well enjoying getting stuff done around the house. That chit is never ending. Been Kyaking a bit to in the arvo's.

Only have the one job on today about two hrs for $250 then home and lunch and then cutting the trim for my bathroom floor reno.

Really looking forward to spending a few days down at Wine Glass bay in a few weeks.

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin

The Weather Channel

Gloating? This is the best time of the year!. We get lots of time off!!

I'm enjoying the time off. Well enjoying getting stuff done around the house. That chit is never ending. Been Kyaking a bit to in the arvo's.

Only have the one job on today about two hrs for $250 then home and lunch and then cutting the trim for my bathroom floor reno.

Really looking forward to spending a few days down at Wine Glass bay in a few weeks.

All depends on your outlook hey  :)

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:23 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

The Weather Channel

All depends on your outlook hey  :)

To true Drew,

An Indy I get on well with looks forward to this time of year every year. He parks his caravan up at Lake Barrington and water skies nearly every day.

Long thick wet lawns that ill start complaining about will be here soon enough,,,

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:54 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin

The Weather Channel

Darwin and the Top End
Some interesting stats for all the rain we've had for January 2018!
From the BoM

Apparently this has been the wettest January for the Top End since 1904 and also the latest Monsoon onset since 1957. Here's some stats a few people might find interesting!

* The Top End (N of 15S) recorded the wettest January since 1904 and NT-wide, rainfall was 59% above average

* Most rain fell in the second half of the month as a monsoon trough became established over Northern Australia – the monsoon onset was on 21 January, which is the latest onset since 1957

* Many sites in the northern half of the NT had their highest January rainfall on record, and some sites had their highest daily rainfall for January

* Sites with highest January rainfall include: Centre island, Darwin River Dam, McMinns Lagoon, Wave Hill, Jabiru, Humpty Doo, Stokes Hill, Batchelor and Yulara

* The wettest location was Kangaroo Flats (about halfway between Darwin and Batchelor) with 1185.0mm for the month

* The wettest day was at Humpty Doo with 286.4mm on 28 January

* 252.5mm of rain on 29 January at Daly River Police Station was the highest January daily rainfall in 8 years of records for that location – it came on top of 124mm the previous day, which is around 50mm under the Christmas Day and Boxing Day totals during the 2015 major flooding event

* Darwin recorded 857 mm which is its highest Jan rainfall since 1995 (940.4mm) and fourth highest Jan rainfall on record (since 1941)

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:44 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

The Weather Channel

Could be worse I suppose, search up capetown + water

http://www.news.com....b7e20333d53a27b
Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:42 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

The Weather Channel

Darwin and the Top End
Some interesting stats for all the rain we've had for January 2018!
From the BoM

Apparently this has been the wettest January for the Top End since 1904 and also the latest Monsoon onset since 1957. Here's some stats a few people might find interesting!

* The Top End (N of 15S) recorded the wettest January since 1904 and NT-wide, rainfall was 59% above average

* Most rain fell in the second half of the month as a monsoon trough became established over Northern Australia – the monsoon onset was on 21 January, which is the latest onset since 1957

* Many sites in the northern half of the NT had their highest January rainfall on record, and some sites had their highest daily rainfall for January

* Sites with highest January rainfall include: Centre island, Darwin River Dam, McMinns Lagoon, Wave Hill, Jabiru, Humpty Doo, Stokes Hill, Batchelor and Yulara

* The wettest location was Kangaroo Flats (about halfway between Darwin and Batchelor) with 1185.0mm for the month

* The wettest day was at Humpty Doo with 286.4mm on 28 January

* 252.5mm of rain on 29 January at Daly River Police Station was the highest January daily rainfall in 8 years of records for that location – it came on top of 124mm the previous day, which is around 50mm under the Christmas Day and Boxing Day totals during the 2015 major flooding event

* Darwin recorded 857 mm which is its highest Jan rainfall since 1995 (940.4mm) and fourth highest Jan rainfall on record (since 1941)

So do you basically down tools once the wet hits or can you still mow? - I used to work in PNG Southern Highlands and those totals are similar - almost every night in the season it would just bucket down - but it's limestone country and by 9am next morning there was hardly a trace of it - no roads up at most of the drilling platforms - everything in and out by chopper - we were circling in photo below waiting for the Chinook to pick something up:-

Attached File  PB210046_2.jpg   161.47KB   0 downloads

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:13 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin

The Weather Channel

Mowing is a bit hit and miss at times. People talk of tram tracks, a lot of places we leave mud tracks whatever machine your using. 

Of course when it,s hammering down it,s down tools, the BOM site has made a huge difference, it,s the one of the first things i check every morning.

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:32 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

The Weather Channel

Woke to an unfamiliar sound here - rain on the roof - steady showers now since 4.45 and more on the way - bliss - a day off and some growth in the lawns.

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:34 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

The Weather Channel

The new normal for Brisbane:-

Attached File  20180206_110335.jpg   244.46KB   1 downloads

Attached File  20180206_110503.jpg   345.95KB   0 downloads

the browning off seemed to happen within a day or so all over my area - like the grass held on to the bitter end and then fell over all at once - it's at the stage where a few showers won't bring it back - we really need regular rain.

bout 15mm last weekend then back to no rain, low/mid 30s on Saturday and then for as far as the forecast goes - I'm on 3-4 weekly cuts for most jobs now.

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:34 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales