15 replies to this topic
newbee
newbee

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Advice For A Newbee Starting With 3 Preschool Contracts. Thank You

Hi everyone,

I'm green as and probably know the least of everyone on this forum. Im not sure if this forum is the place to ask the following but thought I'd ask anyway.

My story...

I've just moved out of the city for a better lifestyle for my family. I've been looking for work too. By chance I'm certain I've practically inherited a lawn care + maintenance work for 3 local pre-school centres (fortnightly). At least until May, that's looking good for renewal.

The truth is the bloke with the actual contract is an out of towner (4 hrs away). The big man has been subcontracting this local work to my semi-retired neighbour (where I fit in) to manage the this account and relationship. The word is they love the outgoing guy (my neighbour).

So I'm not directly invoicing the centres or have ownership over these accounts. But I do believe my neighbours recommendation for me has gone a long way and the big man is coming down tomorrow to finalise our working position as my neighbour wants to step back and free up time asap. Tomorrow is also my first day working in combo with my neighbour as a sort of handover and to meet the big man.

The work is only 3 days (day/centre) per fortnight.

I obviously need to be looking for more work and makes sense I do so with property mgmt industry.

The big man on the phone asked if I be interested in more work (assuming he'll try to find some new opportunities while he's down tomorrow). But it's got me thinking maybe I should focus my a portion of my efforts doing the same, under my own name.

These 3 jobs gives me full access to a trailer including some tools (owned by the big man).

As a requirement Im needing to put a towbar on my second car as a requirement of the job. Ive also had to dish out a hundred dollars in tickets.

I need to figure out if I use my own gear or take on the big mans offer for all equipment supplied. My neighbour before me used his own equipment and charged $40/hr. The talk from the big man will pay me $30/hr if he supplies all gear. Both have their advantages.

I also need to insure myself and invoice for my time so thinking I should explore taking the higher hourly and building and owning my kit.

My equipment is only domestic grade

- Masport 625ex 150cc OHV) and

- Honda GX22 trimmer, which is my brothers on loan.

I'll need to buy myself a cheap petrol blower (looking at ebay - Max Pro or MTM).

Looking at making myself a basic uniform (professional) and try to win some new relationships for so I can build a business while its still summer (Jan). Should I try to build myself a small contracting business, build a small team, associated equipment etc or...?

I have no idea what I should be charging going out on my own... any suggestions how I quote?

As a backup I was planning to ring around for any work including from other lawn care professionals. What is the going acceptable rate to ask for? - is using my own gear an advantage?

Any advice from Seasoned Lawn-Entrepreneurs or those out there open to share how they would do it differently if you were in my position.

Appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.

mg2535

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:41 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Welcome NB,

Sounds like startup funds are tight for you? - might be wise to work for the man for a bit using his tools and trailer while you get your gear together and set up other business needs - but have a close look at the $30/hr offer - what's the exact nature of your employment with him? - you're using your car - any compensation? - what's the $100 in tickets - how much of the $30 is yours basically - sounds a bit skinny overall - you can get close to that in Woolworths so what's in it for you? - experience maybe?

I can only talk for city suburban private lawnmowing for regular clients and work on about $60/hr mowing with a catcher for quoting - then start mulching as many lawns as possible to push the rate higher - average lawn $45-$60

This blower not too dear and well regarded by some here:-

https://www.tradetoo...oke-blower-only

Read the forum widely for much more info on all aspects of the game.

Good luck

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:14 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Gippsland area should be a good location. Decent rainfall for most the year. Also lots of holiday homes in some placers.

Posted 23 January 2018 - 03:08 PM

newbee
newbee

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Thanks Crocster for your valid advice.

Update, Ive done one day of handover and about to do my second day tomorrow and the third day will be next week.

I agree I need to work for contractor for now rather than jump into business. 

1.  I think contractor should supply all equipment

2. To keep it simple,

- I can find cash work for $30/hr so unless I can neg. min $45/hr, it's probably just a temporary job until I can find something better. - Even at 45/hr thats $270 capped (6hrs) per day + 2 hrs travel (not paid) = $33.75/hr (taxable). 

- I assume he's only charging $60-70/hr for this work so not sure if that's enough margin...am I right in my assumption?

- Reminder: he is 350km away (out of town), what would it be worth to him to have me manage and expand his work here?

3. Charge at least 1 hour travel allowance ($45)

- each job is capped at 6hrs/day,

- I need to drive (with trailer) 40-60min each way (up to 2hr return) I'm currently NOT getting compensated for that time.

- I think at $45 (1 hour) allowance for a trip 110km return (2hrs) is good value.

- Should I be asking for the whole travel time (2 hours) to cover my time and costs?

My basic feaso in spreadheet...

Hourly (ex GST)           $45   (minimum)                  

Daily capped hours     $270 (6hrs)                     

x3 days/fortnight         $810 (18hrs)                         

Travel Allowance         (1 hour) or $45  + $270 = $315 per day          ($39/hr taxable)            

x3 days/fortnight                          $135+ $810 = $945 per 3 days      

Equipment & Tools      supplied by contractor            

Costs I must consider...             

Tickets/Passes required for jobs

- WWCC                    $80      

- NPC                        $42                   

-  TOWBAR                 $500  (total $622)         

Fuel,R&M Vehicle costs  at $0.77 per km 

ie.  Day 1 (return)       58 km       $44.66    (80 min)      

Day 2 (return)      106 km      $81.62    (120 min)      

Day 3 (return)       58 km       $44.66    (80min)      

SubTotal      $170.94  (280 min) 

Travel Allowance to cover 3 hrs  $135        only 180 min

Im not sure if this is all too high. I have thought the numbers over and over and it really doesn't work out anything less. 

'Crocster', you're right in saying I'd be better off working at Woolies or Bunnings with less cost, aggravation and rethink my business plans.

Anyway, would love to hear anyone's thoughts...please be honest!

Cheers.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:29 AM

Gipps
Gipps

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSouth Eastern Melbourne

If you are going to work in Pre. Schools, a Police Check and Working With Children Checks

are mandatory. 

The easiest way of getting a Police Check online - CVCheck.com 

Application for a Victorian Working With Children Check can be made at a Aust. Post Office.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:56 AM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Victoria

don't over think things too much…

keep it simple

if you are traveling a distance and time to [example town] then the first on-site hour or part thereof is $call out fee for [example town] which should include your hourly rate for one hour on site and your travel costs and time for the return trip to [example town]

after that just bill for subsequent hours on site at your set billing rate $hourly rate.

If the one job or client uses up much of or most of your day or makes the rest of your day unmanageable, just bill for a set full day charge to [example town] including travel costs and times. I charge less per hour for a full day than I do for a half day or a single hour or 2.

Edit: If you are based in a regional town/city this method is fairly easy to cost and evaluate, as there is normally only a single road, T, Cross, 5 or 6 star of roads heading towards ever more distant towns.

In a Capital city, forget it 

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:30 PM

The worst part of my day is waking up and realising it is 'Groundhog' day

newbee
newbee

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

don't over think things too much…

keep it simple

if you are traveling a distance and time to [example town] then the first on-site hour or part thereof is $call out fee for [example town] which should include your hourly rate for one hour on site and your travel costs and time for the return trip to [example town]

after that just bill for subsequent hours on site at your set billing rate $hourly rate.

If the one job or client uses up much of or most of your day or makes the rest of your day unmanageable, just bill for a set full day charge to [example town] including travel costs and times. I charge less per hour for a full day than I do for a half day or a single hour or 2.

Edit: If you are based in a regional town/city this method is fairly easy to cost and evaluate, as there is normally only a single road, T, Cross, 5 or 6 star of roads heading towards ever more distant towns.

In a Capital city, forget it 

Thank you Grae.

Just to clarify...

My first onsite hour as..

$hourly charge rate + travel costs (e.g. $0.70/km for return trip)?

e.g. Town is approx 55km away (that is 110km return), 6 hours on site, 2 hours travelling.

First hour ie. $45/hr (normal charge) + $84.70 ($0.77/km x 110km) = $129.70

subsquent hours ($45 x 5 remaining onsite hours) = $225

TOTAL charge = $354.70

Is that right?

My concern is subject to contractor's bill to client if only $60/hr (x6hrs) or $360, therefore the above would cover but exhaust all his margin unless his quote factored in a travel/ call out fee.

Would appreciate anyone's perspective on this...all new to me, Im learning.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:47 PM

newbee
newbee

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

If you are going to work in Pre. Schools, a Police Check and Working With Children Checks

are mandatory. 

The easiest way of getting a Police Check online - CVCheck.com 

Application for a Victorian Working With Children Check can be made at a Aust. Post Office.

Thanks Gipps... thats what I mean by tickets ($80 for WWCC and $42 NPC) - $122

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:47 PM

Chris
Chris

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

$40 per hour and you'll go broke. Double it. 

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:22 AM

newbee
newbee

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

$40 per hour and you'll go broke. Double it. 

1. I have no idea what my boss is charging the client (per hr)

2. No idea if he's charged client for my travel time (call out)

3. Travel time, should I ask for time($/hr) + travel cost ($/km)?

4. What's the best a subbie gets paid for property maintenance?

5. I assumed $50/hr would be too much

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:36 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

If your working on the grounds of a pre school without suppling a working with vulnerable card and a police check (the higher police check to not the lower one) to the school then your playing a dangerous game. I'm under the understanding that's highly illegal.

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:50 PM

newbee
newbee

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

If your working on the grounds of a pre school without suppling a working with vulnerable card and a police check (the higher police check to not the lower one) to the school then your playing a dangerous game. I'm under the understanding that's highly illegal.

As mentioned earlier...thats the tickets Ive already paid for and acquired. Thanks for your concern.

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:56 PM

Chris
Chris

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

I filled out a 'Do you need a working with children check' questionnaire on their website and it said neither my employees or myself needed a check. (Victoria) 

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:58 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Victoria

OK, so someone wants you to work away from your normal haunts

I used to bill the Qld Gov

time travel hours both ways (they can find someone closer if they disagree with that)

accomodation on longer jobs…

the points are

if you price what you need to get for it you lose money in the long run because those jobs eat up a lot more time than actually getting them done takes.

If you can make $nn per hour 3 streets away, do not charge the same rate for jobs 200km away even if you are charging travel and vehicle costs!

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:39 PM

The worst part of my day is waking up and realising it is 'Groundhog' day

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

I filled out a 'Do you need a working with children check' questionnaire on their website and it said neither my employees or myself needed a check. (Victoria) 

Must be different for different states. I need one here. Just about any job that is connected to the govt in any way requires me to have the working with vulnerable card.  Even for work with the elderly thru the community care mobs.

Posted 10 February 2018 - 08:21 AM

newbee
newbee

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Must be different for different states. I need one here. Just about any job that is connected to the govt in any way requires me to have the working with vulnerable card.  Even for work with the elderly thru the community care mobs.

Here in NSW, this is the link.

https://www.service....-children-check

Unsure about VIC.

I also had to get a name check (police check NPC)

Posted 10 February 2018 - 12:03 PM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new start, business, getting clients, buying equipment

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales