8 replies to this topic
nickows
nickows

• Lawn Club Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Why Is My Lawn Dying In Patches?

Hi everyone,

For the last 2 years in the warmer months my lawn develops patchy dead spots. I have sprayed fungicide and also searched for any bugs/beetles grubs without success. The lawn usually recovers but takes several months to do so. The dying off occurs very quickly, usually within a matter of days. Please see attached photos. As you can see there are patches of green grass amongst the dead patches that seem unaffected.

Any ideas on what it might be would be much appreciated. Thanks! 

Attached Files

Posted 28 January 2018 - 11:14 AM

bakes
bakes

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationSafety Bay, Western Australia
  • Business Name:Rockingham Mobile Mowing

You haven't mentioned what state or location you are from and there could be an issue common to your location.

But I will have a stab in the dark with what you have said about it happening in the warmer months.

Possibly your soil is not allowing the water to sink in and is running off, this causes shallow rooting of the lawn and in the warmer months it suffers with what you have mentioned. Easy solution add a wetting agent and see how that goes.

Bakes solution, save you money on expensive wetting agents and buy a bottle dishwashing liquid for $2 and mix 200ml in a watering can and apply to the whole lawn once a week for 3 weeks and see how you go.

If you have a hose connect weed and feed bottle laying around add 500ml to it fill with water shake it up, connect to hose and apply that way and repeat as above.

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:12 PM

bellarinelawns
bellarinelawns

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Business Name:premier mowing and home service

Grass type! Grass variety has a lot to do with survival over the summer months. If you have cool season grasses such as fescue or rye, it will brown off in summer. Couch, Kyk and buffalo stay green. The other thing is root quality and soil quality. Scaife and lawn coring combined with a regular dose of fertilizer monthly and not mowing short will make a difference.
Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:49 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts
  • Locationpacking up and retiring to Tassie

I am often wrong when it comes to diagnosing lawn problems in unknown regional locations with no personal observations to go by, I only offer the following comments as 'food for thought'…

It is possible that the grass that got less treatment recovered faster than the bits that got higher doses of whatever quick fix may have been applied

or

chemicals from vehicle/boat or other clean up activities parked on the lawn for wash down may not be totally lawn friendly.

Posted 28 January 2018 - 10:52 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

Chris
Chris

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I've used Amgrow MANCOZEB fungicide on brown spot before. I'm not saying that's what's wrong with your lawn, just that this stuff is cheap so if that's not the problem no harm done and only a few bucks. That would be my first choice of what to do. 

Posted 30 January 2018 - 06:10 AM

Lawn Stabber
Lawn Stabber

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
  • Business Name:Lawn Rescue Squad

Be careful with mancozeb, if you apply it in temps above 28c it can burn the lawn. That looks more like dollar spot in my humble opinion.
Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:01 PM

nickows
nickows

• Lawn Club Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm in western Sydney, the grass is Buffalo.

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:16 PM

Blair B
Blair B

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Its not getting enough water.

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:26 PM

Hedger
Hedger

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm in western Sydney, the grass is Buffalo.

Dude its lawn grub! Go to bunnings and get some Lawn Grub killa ! I reccomend the sand coated stuff or get Scott's lawn fert with grub killer included! Make sure you water it in!
Posted 09 February 2018 - 06:06 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales