Flower
Flower

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Business Name:A+C Environmental Lawn and Garden care

New Zero Emission Members

Hi all

I don't usually participate in forums but I felt compelled to do so with this one. Around 6 months ago I was planning the establishment of a small lawn and garden care business for my son and I. Whilst researching, I stumbled across the Lawn Club and this forum. Member discussions provided me with so much information and food for thought that it is only right that I now also share.

We have been operating A+C Environmental Lawn and Garden Care in the Port Stephens area for just on 3 months now. Our business is completely zero emission, using the range of Ego Power+ equipment and charging our batteries with solar power generated from panels on our enclosed trailer. It was discussions on this forum that lead me to investigate the sole use of battery equipment so I thank you all for that.

Business is steady and considering we have only been going for 3 months, things appear promising. We have some customers that contact us because of our environmental values and others that just want the job done. Regardless of our customer motives, we know that we are doing the best thing for the environment, our own health and the health of others. Based on a number of educated assumptions, running our small business with battery equipment, charged with renewable energy, we are saving just under 20 tonnes of CO2 emissions from entering the atmosphere every year. Not bad for a small mother and son team!

Thanks to Lawn Club and it's members for their indirect input into our business concept. We will continue reading discussions and forums to learn more from you guys.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 01:56 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Expect a post from 88 soon Flower.  :) So i gather your a shortie LOL.  Enjoy the rest of your day.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:14 PM

Flower
Flower

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

No Drewebb, I'm not short. I'm 5'10 and my son is 6ft4. The enclosed trailer is 6ft high, plenty of room! I look forward to a post from 88  :)

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:26 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • LocationDarwin

No Drewebb, I'm not short. I'm 5'10 and my son is 6ft4. The enclosed trailer is 6ft high, plenty of room! I look forward to a post from 88  :)

Not bad for a small mother  :P 

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:31 PM

Flower
Flower

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Well, hello 88. Thank you for the pleasant welcome. I can assure you that I have played with many toys (and tools for that matter) in my time and I certainly don't classify my Ego equipment as 'toys'. They do the job well, with reliability and they last. Can you say the same for your tool? You are entitled to your opinion however, as is everyone, including other members who are interested in the developments of battery equipment. Personally, I don't like the smell of 2 stroke in the morning.....I prefer Chanel No 5.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:41 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts
  • LocationDarwin

^^ Like

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:46 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Victoria

just saying that 5 or 8 women in a elevator lift first thing any morning, let alone after a big weekend and the older suits with a splash or 10 of cologne was a huge incentive for me to take up outdoor gardening

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:55 PM

The worst part of my day is waking up and realising it is 'Groundhog' day

Flower
Flower

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

You do realise Grae that perfume (well, good perfume at least) is derived from flowers and the essential oils of other plant parts. Maybe the elevator isn't that different to the gardens that we tend  :)

Posted 07 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

markp
markp

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Hi flower I'm in Newcastle been in the industry all my life , and have been using some battery powered tools for over 12 months , battery power is going to be huge in years to come.

What part of the bay are from ? If you need any advice or help along the way , let me know , the first year can be difficult , all the best with it

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:04 PM

Flower
Flower

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Thanks Markp. We are based on the Tilligerry Peninsula. Thanks for your positive comments and offer of advice and help. It is much appreciated. We have lots to learn from people like you. Battery power was the only option for us and we are excited by the potential it has in the industry for both small and large operations.
Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:22 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Hi Flower, and welcome here. I've got most of the Ego range too and am well pleased with it. I baulked at the gate with the mower though and am very interested in your experience with it.

Which model did you buy and how do you find the battery life? I decided not to invest in a mobile recharge system and bought a few extra batteries. It works well with my current setup but the mower is the big question mark for me.

Cheers

Croc

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:50 PM

surfishly
surfishly

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Business Name:Planet Mowing

welcome flower have to agree elec is the way of the future quiet no smells theres a bloke on the bayside brissy with a similar set up i have heard

whats with this 88 character needs more sugar in his coffee?

Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:36 PM

Flower
Flower

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi Croc. So glad that you are happy with the Ego equipment you have. We have 2x Steel deck SP mowers and have been very happy with their performance. The only criticism would be the occasional drag on thick buffalo grass. Best solution has been to mow higher which hasn't been a problem under these harsh dry conditions. We get good run time on the 7.5ah batteries, on average around 50min. We have 4 of these batteries and charge on the go when needed. Have had no problems mowing long, unkempt lawns other than the mulching function leaving some surface clumps. The same thing happens with wet grass. Fortunately, the blower takes care of that. I imagine that this problem occurs with any mulching mower under the same conditions. Having only been operating for 3 months, we may discover other issues over time and will let you know. Thanks for your warm welcome
Posted 07 February 2018 - 06:39 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

whats with this 88 character needs more sugar in his coffee?

I could be wrong but I think battery gear upsets him.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:23 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

That's pretty encouraging Flower. My Honda has done 3 seasons now and I'm thinking of it's replacement. I'm really positive about battery gear but don't want to be stuck for juice. I'll always have petrol gear in the shed for backup but like the idea of going full battery.

At some stage could you detail your charging setup? And roughly how much it cost you? Cheers

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:45 PM

Flower
Flower

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Yes Surfishly, I have heard of that business too. Footprints on the Northern Beaches of Sydney also use battery equipment powered by renewables. Hopefully, those of us that have taken the plunge can help everyone in the industry to realise the benefits. Thanks to you for your positive thoughts. Unfortunately I'm used to people like 88. I don't think it's so much battery equipment that he doesn't like, it's more the change. Attitudes like that just make me more determined to do what I know is right.
Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:53 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Welcome flower. Im very interested in the steel deck Ego's.

Was looking for a dedicated battery mulching mower but I don't think one exists ?

I have a dedicated petrol mulched which is great, but as you said, nothing mulches long wet grass to a high standard.

Thats rarely a prob for us & I can work my way around it if it is.

Ive never been able to justify a SP mower in the area that I work but, at only a couple of hundred more & only a couple of kilo's more, it would probably be irresistible, considering it has the 7.5ah batt as opposed to the 5ah with the push.

I spose i could push it if I want & not even know the dif between it & the push mower, with the bonus of more run time, or even a combo of both as desired.

Still can't stand the line trimmer but, I have the multi tool with LT attachment which I find much better with its A/clockwise spin & low profile speed feed head.

You come from a beaut part of this country, enjoy!

Cheers Fred.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 07:54 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

These 2 from Bunnings have got me interested Fred:-

https://www.bunnings...er-kit_p3381102

https://www.bunnings...-mower_p3381341

I'd rather not run 2 battery systems but even the 21" is only 27.5KG dry so you wouldn't need SP IMHO.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:09 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

These 2 from Bunnings have got me interested Fred:-

https://www.bunnings...er-kit_p3381102

https://www.bunnings...-mower_p3381341

I'd rather not run 2 battery systems but even the 21" is only 27.5KG dry so you wouldn't need SP IMHO.

Me too Croc, yep, at that weight, they're just something to lean on as u walk around !

Thing is, Ive already got heaps of Ego gear & also some stihl stuff.

With 8 chargers lined up at home, Im running out of bench space, & the garage looks like a damn disco from the 70's.

Now, how can Ego only get a run time of 50 mins from a 7.5ah, yet Victa claim 30 mins from a 2ah ?

Cheers Fred.

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:56 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Now, how can Ego only get a run time of 50 mins from a 7.5ah, yet Victa claim 30 mins from a 2ah ?

Cheers Fred.

Yep that's the great frustrating unknown Fred - it seems there aren't any engineers in marketing departments because getting reliable specs on a lot of gear is near impossible - I've read 2KW for the Ego gear but Drew found a figure of 1KW somewhere - with the Victa on Bunnings the promotional video on the 18" talks about 1500W but I've seen 1200W elsewhere - these are such basic specs that it just drives me nuts that it's so hard to find. When I first came back to the industry I was gobsmacked that so many ads and brochures for mowers did not mention things like weight and catcher volume??? ####

Posted 07 February 2018 - 09:11 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales