• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

New Zero Emission Members

Horses for courses The comparable Ego trimmer is under $ 400; just saying

Edit: with battery and charger

Edited by drewebb, 22 February 2018 - 04:05 PM.

Posted 22 February 2018 - 03:40 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Horses for courses The comparable Ego trimmer is under $ 400; just saying

Edit: with battery and charger

Exactly except, the trimmer skin/console costs about half what the shindy does.

So, for the same cost, you get the same warranty (2yrs) 1yr for each machine but, you get 2 machines.

Don't get me wrong, Ive run shindy for years & loved them but, for me & MY applications, battery wins hands down !

Cheers Fred.

Posted 22 February 2018 - 05:01 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Bad news Plucka - which trimmer did you buy?

I had the ST1500e, the older model without the speed feed head.  I had to buy a new one straight away as I bought it at Masters so got the new model.  Speed feed head is good and seems a little more power than the old model but seems to drain battery a bit quicker too.

Very dissapointed with Ego warranty service though. Spent 3 days just trying to ring their support line, would never get through and messages left never returned.  Ended up ringing their sales number (answered immediately what a surprise) and only then I got someone in support to call me back.   

I have to take the trimmer back to total tools who then ship it to Ego for assessment and repair.  I pointed out the consumer law that it's my choice for a replacement or refund considering it's a major fault but they wouldn't budge.  The support guy even had the gaul to say the fault could be due to lack of maintenance on my behalf, maintenance on a battery trimmer, what a laugh.

Seems like Ego are happy to ignore Australian consumer law and I now have big questions over the reliability of their gear, 15 months before the motor dies isn't good.  Also not sure if it's just me but anyone notice the bump heads wearing out quickly?  The plastic just seems to wear thin and I was almost worn through my third head in 15 months, $50 a pop to replace.  Starting to wonder if the gear is up to commercial use.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:45 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

This is something John Goodman, the Ego rep for QLD really needs to know about - as I posted here previously he was quite clear that commercial users are not going to be treated like that when Trade Tools Archerfield tried to give me the same runaround over a dead battery - battery was swapped at the counter next morning after I spoke to him - I'll PM you with his email and mobile number in case you haven't got it - I don't know about you but I bought all my gear not long after the Demo day arranged by Ego/Trade Tools and on the strength of their proclaimed commitment to quality and commercial users.

I guess I didn't expect that the gear was going to last as long as my Honda gear but if it gave value for money I would be happy - but the crucial thing is warranty service.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:10 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

I had the ST1500e, the older model without the speed feed head.  I had to buy a new one straight away as I bought it at Masters so got the new model.  Speed feed head is good and seems a little more power than the old model but seems to drain battery a bit quicker too.

Very dissapointed with Ego warranty service though. Spent 3 days just trying to ring their support line, would never get through and messages left never returned.  Ended up ringing their sales number (answered immediately what a surprise) and only then I got someone in support to call me back.   

I have to take the trimmer back to total tools who then ship it to Ego for assessment and repair.  I pointed out the consumer law that it's my choice for a replacement or refund considering it's a major fault but they wouldn't budge.  The support guy even had the gaul to say the fault could be due to lack of maintenance on my behalf, maintenance on a battery trimmer, what a laugh.

Seems like Ego are happy to ignore Australian consumer law and I now have big questions over the reliability of their gear, 15 months before the motor dies isn't good.  Also not sure if it's just me but anyone notice the bump heads wearing out quickly?  The plastic just seems to wear thin and I was almost worn through my third head in 15 months, $50 a pop to replace.  Starting to wonder if the gear is up to commercial use.

Its 12 month commercial with ego, they don't even have to look at it.

i go threw 3 speedfeed bottom covers a year

Plucka how many batteries would you need for 4 hour trimming at full speed and only charging at home.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:11 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Plucka how many batteries would you need for 4 hour trimming at full speed and only charging at home.

I know at full speed doing heavy slashing the 2.5 battery lasts about 15mins.  However that is a rare scenario, when edging I'm running it at lower speed 90% of the time, I can edge about 3 or 4 average size lawns on one battery.  I carry three and most days I only use up 2 batteries.  I like the 2.5 batteries to save weight.  So for day to day residential jobs it's fine however I've done a couple of empty block slash weed jobs and I've gone through 9 battery charges to finish the job, which meant 3 return trips.  I now decline these types of jobs :)

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:20 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

i go threw 3 speedfeed bottom covers a year

On the EGO?  Can you buy just the cover? I've only seen the whole head for sale, $40 each on the speed feed model.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:22 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

I know at full speed doing heavy slashing the 2.5 battery lasts about 15mins.  However that is a rare scenario, when edging I'm running it at lower speed 90% of the time, I can edge about 3 or 4 average size lawns on one battery.  I carry three and most days I only use up 2 batteries.  I like the 2.5 batteries to save weight.  So for day to day residential jobs it's fine however I've done a couple of empty block slash weed jobs and I've gone through 9 battery charges to finish the job, which meant 3 return trips.  I now decline these types of jobs :)

I ended up buying a 5.0AH battery for the same reason - makes it a bit heavier but you don't have to go back to the car every 10-15mins -

if the head is a rebadged but standard SpeedFeed head you can buy all spares for them on eBay - pity Honda don't do the same thing as it's really only the tap head and then the bottom skirt that wear out - I've got several dead ones in the drawer.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:34 AM

bakes
bakes

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • LocationSafety Bay, Western Australia
  • Business Name:Rockingham Mobile Mowing

On the EGO?  Can you buy just the cover? I've only seen the whole head for sale, $40 each on the speed feed model.

Are the speed feed heads you are talking about on the EGO the same as the branded speed feed heads, if so, yes you can replace them only, plenty of ebay sellers out there, but I use DMC (Daylie mowers) he offers a good price and ships immediately.

http://www.ebay.com....gcAAOSw-ndTnApx

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:03 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin

The honda heads (should fit the clockwise ego head ) have a metal bottom for tapping on the ground ( they use to wear quick too ) which is replaceable, cant remember cost, but on my honda i have used makita, whatever heads.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:17 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin

I have never ever done slashing with a loop handle, always bull handles for me, it,s just so much easier to swing side to side, means you cover more distance and with a metal blade no tangles BUT i digress i dont even use bull handles much now i use my SP High wheel Trimmer or the Mulchmaster.

Posted 23 February 2018 - 12:59 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Was pondering the purchase of a new battery blower OR get additional battery.s for the AEG 18v.  2 x 5amp about $200. EGO was featuring but always What if it stuffs up and have to wait for fix v walk into Bunnings and walk out with another one, no probs.

On that basis and comments here i bought a 82v Victa, not better or worse than EGO just the back up.

https://www.bunnings...attery_p3381104

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:27 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts

I have never ever done slashing with a loop handle, always bull handles for me, it,s just so much easier to swing side to side, means you cover more distance and with a metal blade no tangles BUT i digress i dont even use bull handles much now i use my SP High wheel Trimmer or the Mulchmaster.

+1 for the bull handles - never used anything else - it's a no brainer to me - hands for steering and control - shoulders/torso for holding the weight - wanna vertical edge? - rotate whipper 90deg hold shaft with right hand and use throttle with the left - that's why I'm hot for the new Ego brushcutter - but I'm equally interested in the AEG 18V if it's so light the weight is not a factor on my lower back - did someone here say they were LIGHT?.........

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:38 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin

2 entirely different machines. If it was me i,d buy the lighter as i,d use it more.

Edit 4.5kg with the biggest battery (6 amp )

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:24 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales