• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
Craigg
Craigg

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Growing Business

Hi guys. How is everyone going with getting work at the moment. I'm in Western Sydney area. I have only been doing this part time for a few months but am finding it a bit harder than i thought to get more work. I know without rain it isn't helping much. I have dropped off flyers but this doesn't seem to get much  call back. I have tried social media and it is hit /miss.

I have read that its usually word of mouth. I have given myself 12 months to get the ball rolling to see how it goes. 

I have been to some real estates but not much from them either.

General lawns are between $40 - $50.  I don't want to take away anyone's clients but just want to do something i enjoy. Cheers

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:06 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Growing Business

Drop more flyers and don't drop them on catalogue days.

Personally hand out flyers at a supermarket or a local kids game of footy or cricket. (cricket may be better as its a day game- less time for someone to mow the lawn) or even at the local pubs. Walk down the main street and go into every shop, introduce yourself and give them a few flyers. Especially office buildings.

Park your trailer in a super market car park for the day.

Ring the local contractors, introduce yourself and see if they have any 'C" customers (Customers they really don't want and are thinking of culling) they might want to hand over or sell to you. or even pass on work they don't want to do.

Sometimes getting new clients isn't easy for the simple fact that the majority of people who get their lawn cut already have someone cutting their lawn.

GL

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:39 AM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Growing Business

Not much going at the moment graigg im bassed in south west sydney. We do mostly acreage and commercial work most jobs are 6 to 8 week cuts and even then there is not much to mow.

Its just so dry and dead weve had like 14mm of rain in a few months and so many hot days its just desert conditions

My phone hasnt rang for new enquires or quotes for a few weeks.

Hang in there mate it will rain eventually and the phone will be ringing off the hook.
Posted 08 February 2018 - 02:49 PM

Craigg
Craigg

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Growing Business

Hi Guys. Thanks for that. I am in the Hawkesbury area and surrounding suburbs. I do a bit of acreage as well. Cant wait for the rain it will be a blessing. Just about try with child care places etc.
Will try local clubs etc have a chat with some people and see how it goes
Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:08 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Growing Business

Hang in there Craig. It's a bit grim in various places around Oz now. Don't know what it's like seasonally for you there but in Brisvegas Feb can be cyclone month with huge rain totals so fingers crossed. But it's bl00dy hot and dry here for the next week or so anyway.

Posted 08 February 2018 - 07:19 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Growing Business

tough year to start. some weeks are survival when we should be making cash savings for winter

just keep pumping the local fb pages, people need to see your ad about 8 times before they will remember you, (marketing 102).

when people go from 3 to 2 thats a 50 % increase in your work, hopefully the season gets going and runs late

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:06 PM

lawnboy
lawnboy

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationEast Sydney

Growing Business

i have been in business for a bit over 3 years. i found early on that i could not rely on just mowing jobs to get by as there are so many businesses doing mowing and so it is super competitive, plus there is little work in dry times and colder months. i would say 40 percent of my business is mowing and the other 60 gardening services 

Posted 10 February 2018 - 04:43 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales