Road Runner
Road Runner

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationPerth WA
  • Business Name:She Oaks Gardening Service

Dumping Clippings

We do a fair bit of general gardening work and tend to get to know clients pretty well as we are on site a lot longer than the average lawnie. We did a gardening job the other day and the garden beds were full of clippings. The client never gave permission for dumping of clippings and she has a green waste bin and a garden bag service anyway. I shook my head and told her we would quote lawn mowing but she is old school loyal.

We did do a lawn mowing quote for a retirement village who were whinging about the price their lawnie was charging. Now normally I won't quote if the only beef was price but this was another clipping dumper (hidden under bushes no less) and the cuts weren't great. So in went my quote. Didn't ask what the previous lawnie was charging though because it is irrelevant to my quote.

None of these lawns are great so a mulching rotary would be fine. I guess running a 28inch MEY and dumping clippings  is quicker.

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:52 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Dumping Clippings

How many clients I’ve taken on because the previous person has dumped grass in gardens. It’s got worse in recent years due to all the beer bobs. Communication when you first quote is imperative.
Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:39 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Victoria

Dumping Clippings

40% or more of my new work comes from cleaning up after the last bloke.

A new one today 

Attached File  DSC01317.JPG   172.05KB   3 downloads

if you look at the image and see lawns and edges…

keep mowing mate

Posted 12 February 2018 - 04:23 PM

The worst part of my day is waking up and realising it is 'Groundhog' day

Road Runner
Road Runner

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationPerth WA

Dumping Clippings

Grae the fence in the middle of the lawn is the icing on the cake I take it that is a Melbourne thing.

I got the retirement village job so that's one less for the clipping dumpers. I must have been cheaper too so perhaps its time to look at my rates although $95 for a 40 minute job seemed good to me. 

Posted 13 February 2018 - 04:44 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Victoria

Dumping Clippings

yep they are everywhere down here, fence is on the property border, council pathway is offset, I'm sure I'm not the only one that hates them!

I quickie cleaned it up today (from my favourite Agent, new tenancy clean up)

Attached File  DSC01331.JPG   170.1KB   1 downloads

EDIT: back to the original point of the post, $360, most of the work was mucking out all the hidden dump piles from the year yard. 3 hours 24 minutes from go to pack up and 1m3 of rotting clippings and branches.

Posted 13 February 2018 - 06:22 PM

The worst part of my day is waking up and realising it is 'Groundhog' day

Chris
Chris

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts

Dumping Clippings

We always ask what the customer would like done regarding the clippings. We charge $10 per bag for clipping and green waste removal or if it's a large green waste job $220 per load (up to 3 cubic meters) plus load time. 

Posted 14 February 2018 - 05:09 AM

Road Runner
Road Runner

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationPerth WA

Dumping Clippings

Fair enough too as long as you are upfront with the client everyone knows where they stand. We did another gardening quote for an old lady yesterday and she is paying $55 a cut (no edging) and thought the lawnie was taking the clippings away. We showed her the huge pile of clippings dumped in the far corner of her yard. She has a Council provided green waste bin too. Seems to be common when the client is old and mobility impaired. Pretty poor form if you ask me.

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:17 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales