Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:ultimate property services

Mixing Weed Spray

Hey there Crew,

As many of you know....I'm new at this thing ...And I'm still working under the supervision of the guy I'm buy the business off ..

well..Today we done out first weed spraying job..  and I was quite surprised when he mixed up the product...

On the bottle  ( Hortico weed killer 360)  is says mix 1ltr / 200 lts , but much to my surprise he mixed 500ml to 20lts ..*super strong) !! 

http://www.hortico.c...ds/weed-killer/

and he also added dish-washing detergent ...(just a good squirt)

I can understand his thinking with making the weed spray super concentrate , *More is better*....but I'm not so sure...!!

My thinking is,... weeds and plants you want dead, need the water content so it can be absorbed by the weed...   Just mix the product at the rate recommended... Maybe a bit stronger...  but not super concentrate... ..

The weed killer is cheap...so its not the money I'm trying to save, but I'm just trying to get the best performance out of the product ..  What do you think  ?

we also poured the product straight out of the bottle (100% concentrate) onto the stump of a tree we were try to poison...  Surely its needs to be mixed with water !! 

How do you guys mix up ?

Also...  we used a Stihl back pack sprayer, which was pretty shitty really...  (broken shoulder straps...etc..

What kind of back pack sprayer do you guys use ?

Cheers ;)

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:51 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Mixing Weed Spray

l buy 20lt drums of 450 strength gly and mix it at lest double the recommended dose (with a couple of drops of Consume surfactant ) and always get a 99% kill rate. Stumps, yep undiluted....its called cut & paint 

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:46 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Mixing Weed Spray

l buy 20lt drums of 450 strength gly and mix it at lest double the recommended dose (with a couple of drops of Consume surfactant ) and always get a 99% kill rate. Stumps, yep undiluted....its called cut & paint 

ohhh ok..so ..he was doing the normal thing then....

What the thinking behind the Surfactant ?

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:52 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Mixing Weed Spray

yep i do exactly what cgahs said haven't had a problems yet.

i also run solo backpack sprayers and a selecta 50 L 12 volt sprayer on the toro. i find both very good units and pretty much trouble free. 

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:53 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Mixing Weed Spray

ohhh ok..so ..he was doing the normal thing then....

What the thinking behind the Surfactant ?

just sticks to the leaf of the weed better and also helps if it rains shortly after spraying

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:54 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Mixing Weed Spray

yep i do exactly what cgahs said haven't had a problems yet.

i also run solo backpack sprayers and a selecta 50 L 12 volt sprayer on the toro. i find both very good units and pretty much trouble free. 

I need a good back pack sprayer....the Stihl unit I'm getting with the business is very average

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Mixing Weed Spray

just sticks to the leaf of the weed better and also helps if it rains shortly after spraying

arhhh   is that what it is ! 

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:00 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationIn Melbourne getting ready for hibernation

Mixing Weed Spray

EDITED POST:

glyphosate 360… *blurb says up to 200L

most labels say mix rates between 5mL/1L > 20mL/1L

so recommended dose for 20L knapsack 100mL/1L > 400mL/1L

most weeds rate is 10mL/1L (paspalum, kikuyu)

so recommended average dose for 20L knapsack = 200mL or strong 300mL

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:08 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • LocationIn Melbourne getting ready for hibernation

Mixing Weed Spray

the surfactant (detergent) serves to break the surface tension of the water droplets so the water sheets instead of turning into balls which just roll off

also helps to make the spray more miscible with oils

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:11 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Mixing Weed Spray

I need a good back pack sprayer....the Stihl unit I'm getting with the business is very average

Silvan 16 litre battery job @ Bunnings $170 none of that pumping rubbish, had mine for about a month now and would find it hard to go back to a manual job

Posted 24 February 2018 - 12:07 AM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Mixing Weed Spray

Silvan 16 litre battery job @ Bunnings $170 none of that pumping rubbish, had mine for about a month now and would find it hard to go back to a manual job

I like the sound of a Battery pump ! 

I'll check this out ..  !

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:07 AM

Barefoot
Barefoot

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast

Mixing Weed Spray

I run a 5L pump bottle for spot spraying. And mix it up 100ml / 5L which is pretty much double strength and a squirt of dish washing liquid as said before.
Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:14 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Mixing Weed Spray

I'm wondering when double the package rate is really needed - is it for specific weeds you do that? - or broadacre spraying? - I've always mixed at 12.5ml/ltr and got a good kill - but I only do spot spraying for suburban mowing clients - paths, drives, cobblestone, pavers etc 

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:27 AM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Mixing Weed Spray

I'm wondering when double the package rate is really needed - is it for specific weeds you do that? - or broadacre spraying? - I've always mixed at 12.5ml/ltr and got a good kill - but I only do spot spraying for suburban mowing clients - paths, drives, cobblestone, pavers etc 

So why do people mix up at double the rate....or even triple ?

If you mix the product as directed, Has anyone found that they didn't get a high kill rate ?

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Mixing Weed Spray

Plus one for the Silvan battery sprayer, it is bloody great. Also have a small 2 litre Hozelock for little jobs.

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:49 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Mixing Weed Spray

I mix mine at 1/2 strength.

I also use a Battery spray pack. Don't remember the name but got it from a farm store. Its awesome so far.

http://lawnclub.com....-pack-sprayers/

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:55 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Mixing Weed Spray

Roundup ULTRA® MAX is the only choice for me has the best rainfastness you can spray in light rain and get good results and you dont need to add any additives,  the powerful 570 g/L glyphosate formulation makes it the cheapest option.

6.5mL per litre,   100ml to a 15ltr backpack

PS: Dont mix stronger than recommended, at the lower does you can carefully use it a around plants in garden beds,  big weeds just paint them a bit more.

Posted 24 February 2018 - 11:17 AM

scorpNZ
scorpNZ

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNZ
  • Business Name:CDL

Mixing Weed Spray

Mixing a little stronger when i do it is to kill a variety of weeds & since i start at 7am the grass is usually wet.If i think it's going to rain in 2hrs i'll adjust the spray from fine to heavy (yes i use cheap dish wash liquid,it works the same as the additive you buy to get it to stick especially to waxy leaf & it aids penetration).In the end you'll get to experiment & see what works for you.You also don't need to waste money on expensive weedkiller ,any glyphosate will work for grasses & weeds except that wandering willy,that stuff is a bugger..In winter you'll find you'll most likely need to increase the mix as the grass won't dry out or will take ages to do so..One warning when spraying ,get the wand end close to the ground, as close as you can,i do this to stop overspray inwards on a lawn.Lastly when near plants (if they over hand the lawn edge or there about's),leave a fair distance either side,let the customer weed it or use a weedeater or by hand..Glyphosate is mainly for soft leafy plant,won't matter a dam when near plants that are also soft leaf,you get any on there that plant will be affected regardless if using recommended amount or more.If you do get some on a plant wash it off,douse it even,it should be fine.If in doubt pull the leaves off ,you can blame it on the slugs n' snails hehehe..I was blamed for weedeating a passion fruit sapling.It wasn't me the slugs ate it,her other one had the evidence as there was no pellets

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:58 AM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Mixing Weed Spray

Mixing a little stronger when i do it is to kill a variety of weeds & since i start at 7am the grass is usually wet.If i think it's going to rain in 2hrs i'll adjust the spray from fine to heavy (yes i use cheap dish wash liquid,it works the same as the additive you buy to get it to stick especially to waxy leaf & it aids penetration).In the end you'll get to experiment & see what works for you.You also don't need to waste money on expensive weedkiller ,any glyphosate will work for grasses & weeds except that wandering willy,that stuff is a bugger..In winter you'll find you'll most likely need to increase the mix as the grass won't dry out or will take ages to do so..One warning when spraying ,get the wand end close to the ground, as close as you can,i do this to stop overspray inwards on a lawn.Lastly when near plants (if they over hand the lawn edge or there about's),leave a fair distance either side,let the customer weed it or use a weedeater or by hand..Glyphosate is mainly for soft leafy plant,won't matter a dam when near plants that are also soft leaf,you get any on there that plant will be affected regardless if using recommended amount or more.If you do get some on a plant wash it off,douse it even,it should be fine.If in doubt pull the leaves off ,you can blame it on the slugs n' snails hehehe..I was blamed for weedeating a passion fruit sapling.It wasn't me the slugs ate it,her other one had the evidence as there was no pellets

Cheers..good advice

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:47 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Mixing Weed Spray

I have my first poisoning job on in two weeks time...

Around a pool area /back yard

should I whipper snip all the weeds first , then poison ....or leave the weeds as the are and Poison...then whipper snip them when they are dead ? 

Posted 24 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales