27 replies to this topic
nathnsarah
nathnsarah

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Mixing Weed Spray

I have my first poisoning job on in two weeks time...

Around a pool area /back yard

should I whipper snip all the weeds first , then poison ....or leave the weeds as the are and Poison...then whipper snip them when they are dead ? 

spray first then snip once dead, poison is absorbed through foliage, 

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:08 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Mixing Weed Spray

If I need to leave it a bit presentable after the first visit I whip the weeds off leaving a bit of foliage on but at the same height - bout 6" - then spray and come back later to whip to the ground - I've found it works OK as long as there's a bit of green to absorb the spray.

Posted 24 March 2018 - 06:19 PM

scorpNZ
scorpNZ

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationNZ
  • Business Name:CDL

Mixing Weed Spray

Personally i don't weedeat then spray after as i consider it double handling.Explaining to the customer that i'll weedeat the dead grass in two weeks usually solves any concerns,also weedeating here in nz is a courtesy when mowing.It's the reason i don't charge for weedkiller as most customers don't mind & it saves me money not having to use the weedeater as well as a stack of time.The cost of 1 litre concentrate is $10 nz & will do 80 lawns over a 3 month period.On average an application lasts 1.5 months in fast grow season & 3 in winter & quite often as long as four.I love just turning up & mowing then leaving.

Edit: steer clear of premix that stuff is garbage from what customers that have used it say

Posted 25 March 2018 - 07:39 AM

Lawn Stabber
Lawn Stabber

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationBrisbane
  • Business Name:Lawn Rescue Squad

Mixing Weed Spray

The more leaf available to soak in the herbicide the better it will work. Get a sticker as well (surfactant) as it will help the mix stick to the leaf better. Searles spredmax is only about $9 a bottle and will last ages.
Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:17 PM

scorpNZ
scorpNZ

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationNZ

Mixing Weed Spray

The more leaf available to soak in the herbicide the better it will work. Get a sticker as well (surfactant) as it will help the mix stick to the leaf better. Searles spredmax is only about $9 a bottle and will last ages.

No need for surfectant ,dish washing liquid is used to do the same job

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:35 AM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationWhere spring has sprung, weed city

Mixing Weed Spray

dish detergent etc usually has and additive to enhance foaming

use dish detergent sparingly, a few drops go a long way, don't squirt it in! 

Posted 28 March 2018 - 11:38 AM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

scorpNZ
scorpNZ

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationNZ

Mixing Weed Spray

The foaming only happens when you fill up the knapsack.It foams whether you use soap or not (ok i try to use full blast to fill it quickly).I added a sock to the strainer (stops any grass or debris getting in then blocking the knozzle,if it manages to get past the filter at the wand),also helps smooth out the flow letting me use a decent flow rate on the hose.Pays to remove the strainer & add the killer & soapy suds directly or you'll get foaming in the strainer

Posted 28 March 2018 - 12:11 PM

aumegm
aumegm

• Lawn Club Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Business Name:Mat's Mowing

Mixing Weed Spray

Standard commercial spray mix. This is for a 15L mix but you can adjust as necessary. 

Half fill a Croplands Swissmex 15L Knapsack Sprayer with water. 

Add 200ml of Glyphosate 540

1-2 capfuls of Brushwet (wetting agent)

1-2 capfuls of Envirodye (usually blue)

and the secret weapon: 1-2ml (measured carefully in a syringe) of Hammer (Carfentrazone-Ethyl) to really knock stuff on the head. 

Continue filling the sprayer with water and add a few drops of de-foamer if necessary. 

Spot spray only to the point of run-off. Hammer has enough power to kill neighbouring shrubs so use caution. 

There is a company called Apparent which makes generic versions of all these chemicals. 

Posted 05 April 2018 - 10:05 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales