• 4 posts

Ryobi 36V 5.0Ah Mower

Hey
New here so first off - Hi!

Looking at getting a battery mower and I’m strongly looking at getting the
Ryobi 36v 5.0ah 18” for $599 @ Bunnings

Thoughts on this mower?

I was looking at the Victa 82v 2.0ah 18” for $499 but it doesn’t seem
as well built in my opinion compared to the Ryobi. The little handle that makes it go was very flimsy.

Also had a look at the AEG 58v 4.0ah Mower with 2 batterie for $799 but it’s getting a little $$$ now

Hope someone can give me the right direction to go with

Thanks
Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:12 AM

Ply313
Ply313

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Ryobi 36V 5.0Ah Mower

The Ryobi has some pretty bad reviews on YouTube compared to the Ego especially. Low run time and a battery that took 45min to cool down then a few hrs to charge..
I think someone here had nice things to say about the AEG.
Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:29 AM

80xer5antar05
80xer5antar05

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Ryobi 36V 5.0Ah Mower

The Ego is $$$ tho isn’t ?

Edit - $649 so only $50 note then ryobi

So what is everyone’s opinion

Ryobi 36v 5.0ah 18” Brushless
Victa 82v 2.0ah 18” Brushless
AEG 58v 4.0ah 18” Brushless

Or this EGO -

https://allmowers.co...ic-garden-tools

Is this EGO Brushless?
Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:36 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,859 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Ryobi 36V 5.0Ah Mower

No motor is 

• High-Torque, Magnetic Motor: Designed for high power output at 3300RPM’s

Of the 3 i would take the Victa with a 1500W motor, blade disc with swing backs. Having said that havnt used any of them  :)

Posted 11 March 2018 - 02:03 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Ryobi 36V 5.0Ah Mower

another to consider if you already have batteries..... https://sydneytools....AiABEgIBOvD_BwE

Posted 11 March 2018 - 03:52 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Ryobi 36V 5.0Ah Mower

80, I have the Ego & for the purposes we use it for, its fine.

That is flat, regularly maintained, small/medium lawns.

The motor at 600w is def a bit under powered for longer/wetter stuff.

Id love a crack at the 1500w Victa.

I know that price is important but, I don't think as significant as other aspects such as usability & reliability.

If you're using it commercially,price alone may be a false economy.  With only a few bucks diff, I would choose the one that I thought best suited my needs. If I choose correctly, it will more than make up a few bucks saved initially.

Don't get me wrong, buying the dearest doesn't necessarily mean its the best.

Good luck with your choice.

Cheers Fred.

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:56 PM

80xer5antar05
80xer5antar05

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Ryobi 36V 5.0Ah Mower

Thanks Fred
I’m only using it for my house and atm leaning towards the Ryobi 36v as I found the Victa to not have the build quality of the Ryobi.
Plus the 82v battery is good but only 2.0ah is a bit low
Posted 11 March 2018 - 07:35 PM

Hedger
Hedger

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Ryobi 36V 5.0Ah Mower

Thanks Fred
I’m only using it for my house and atm leaning towards the Ryobi 36v as I found the Victa to not have the build quality of the Ryobi.
Plus the 82v battery is good but only 2.0ah is a bit low

I have used alot of cordless mowers including both Ego mowers and at the moment we are using the 21in victa! 82v at 2amp is equal to 40v at 4amp plus you can buy 82v x 4amp! I was checking the ryobi at Bunnings last week and thought it looked sweet but haven't tried it yet!
Posted 11 March 2018 - 09:23 PM

80xer5antar05
80xer5antar05

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts

Ryobi 36V 5.0Ah Mower

Yer I was keen on the Victa but the 18” doesn’t look any where as good as the 21” in terms of build quality

The go Handle is very flimsy compared to the 21” along with the wheels etc

If it was the same then it would be great.

Is it true the 18” has a more powerful motor @1500??? Compared to the 2-“
Posted 11 March 2018 - 10:28 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Locationgetting ready for hibernation

Ryobi 36V 5.0Ah Mower

BoxerSantaros

Don't expect too much from us professionals.

Most of the people who post to this site may not have had a chance to try all the low quality mowers the big chain stores have on offer nor the chance to try out the equipment we would love to test drive…

Many of us are still daily using and maintaining the high quality mowers we bought a few years ago.

Posted 13 March 2018 - 03:33 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Ryobi 36V 5.0Ah Mower

I have the AEG 58V Mower. Its quite good but I only use it on about 5% of my jobs where access is a problem and my SP would be overkill. And even then I only bought it as it was part of an offer that was hard to resist at the time.  I dont rate it as a commercial mower unless you only do posh lawns. I believe it is a fantastic mower for a home owner to have, packs away easily, quiet, easy to start. Awesome invention......but commercial? In Melbourne? Its a no from me.

Posted 13 March 2018 - 04:16 PM

Derwent
Derwent

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • Business Name:Milligan Gardens

Ryobi 36V 5.0Ah Mower

I used the AEG commercially for 18 months.
It was the best cordless I could buy at the time, but it is well and truly outclassed today.
Apart from only being 18", I would rate it as a bloody good power unit let down by a mediocre chassis.
Also, the lack of SP is a biggie.
As I said to the AEG rep first time we spoke, to get commercial business in Aus you'll need 21" SP with a decent run time and rapid charging, preferable with swing back blades.
Victa's 18" is the only one I know with swing back blades, although the Vict 21" can be fitted with a Honda blade disc and is apparently awesome.
Ego is the only one running 21" SP albeit with a plastic deck, and a 20" steel deck (there is a low voltage Ryobi SP but I really wouldn't go there commercially...) so nobody is really ticking all the boxes yet. Ego comes closest.
If Victa ever get their thumb out of their backsides and bring the 21" SP here, then that with a Honda disc and blades would be the unicorn we seek.

I have actually stopped lawn contracting for the time being, as I'm earning more doing civil contracting although I'm also working harder.
I've also left Tassie and moved to Brisbane.
I may get back into lawns down the track when this contract work is done...hopefully a decent battery mower for contractors is available by then or I might need to get a Honda mower but the rest of the gear will be battery as the mower is the only thing where battery isn't leaps and bounds ahead.
If you can afford it, go Husky with the rest of the gear...Ego is the second choice, but the Husky is worlds ahead if you can stump the cash...
Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:15 AM

murcod
murcod

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Ryobi 36V 5.0Ah Mower

I used one of the early Ryobi 36V mowers and it was dismal. As soon as the lawn started to get thick or long it would trip out on the safety cut out. I don't know how much better the newer models are? The battery was also ridiculously hard to remove- my mother couldn't get it out and I had trouble releasing it too.

I bought a Worx 24V 10Ah mower for myself and it's got a lot more power and I've never managed to get it to cut out. Even cutting the neighbour's over grown front lawn  <_< . It's a bit irrelevant as that model is no longer sold, but it is rated at around 750sqm per charge and I'd believe that. It uses a heavy lead acid battery pack that needs to be kept on float charge for long term battery life.

I've recently switched to Ego 56V gear. I've got the Multi Tool with hedger and chainsaw attachments and just bought the bottom of the range brushed motor hedge trimmer. When (if?) my Worx mower dies it'll definitely be replaced with a Ego mower. Their inbuilt battery technology is some of the best IMHO. The battery is designed with keeping the cells cool in mind and the battery even has a long term storage strategy (that automatically discharges the battery to 30% charge after 30 days of not being used- the best level for long battery life.) About the only thing I'd mark them down for is the battery charge level indicator- which is a simple green or red indicator.

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:25 PM

Eighty:Eight
Eighty:Eight

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Ryobi 36V 5.0Ah Mower

why bother with this rubish i dont care about it only good for the dump go for toro and stihl
Posted 27 May 2018 - 01:24 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Ryobi 36V 5.0Ah Mower

why bother with this rubish i dont care about it only good for the dump go for toro and stihl

Have you actually tried any of the latest battery gear or do you just enjoy trolling with your broken, unintelligible English?  By the way Stihl sell battery gear moron.

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:27 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,193 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Ryobi 36V 5.0Ah Mower

Have you actually tried any of the latest battery gear or do you just enjoy trolling with your broken, unintelligible English?  By the way Stihl sell battery gear moron.

He'll respond as soon as he's finished breakfast Plucka

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:12 AM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Ryobi 36V 5.0Ah Mower

lol.....cheers and beers

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:01 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales