26 replies to this topic
Barefoot
Barefoot

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast

Camping And 4Wd

I welded up a battery box and have bolted it under my tray in my Ute. Saves engine bay room. I just run the red arc sbi12 solenoid I think it is. Hassle free And have a solar panel on my roof which keeps it all going when the car isn’t running
Posted 15 March 2018 - 06:53 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Camping And 4Wd

Saves battery,s too bolting under tray. Heat kills battery,s and engine bays get really hot. Kenworths etc battery,s arnt under bonnet.  :)

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:18 AM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Camping And 4Wd

Quiet an easy diy project i did my battery set up i had 3 batterys 1 starting and 2 running fridges and lights.

The hardest part is mounting the battery tray in the engine bay.

If i was to do it again i would get arb to install it i think they charge around $ 1200 supply and install for redarc gear.

Saves all the hastles and hard work lol

Yeah, it looks easy to do in theory. I just think the running of wires through firewalls etc could be a pain. Also I can't get another tray in the engine bay of the Navara so it will go inside the rear tub on top of the wheel arch, quite common in some twin cabs apparently.

Posted 15 March 2018 - 01:54 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Camping And 4Wd

Yeah, it looks easy to do in theory. I just think the running of wires through firewalls etc could be a pain. Also I can't get another tray in the engine bay of the Navara so it will go inside the rear tub on top of the wheel arch, quite common in some twin cabs apparently.

Some manufacturers use rubber bungs in firewalls etc for that purpose. Took a woman across a deep (up over the bonnet on my old jacked up troopy) she freaked when the water started filling up the cabin, dont worry i said it,ll drain out just as quick LOL

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:21 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Camping And 4Wd

Yep in the tub its quiet easy just got to run thicker guage cables to allow for the voltage drop between the distance of the start battery and 2nd battery
Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:21 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Camping And 4Wd

Some manufacturers use rubber bungs in firewalls etc for that purpose. Took a woman across a deep (up over the bonnet on my old jacked up troopy) she freaked when the water started filling up the cabin, dont worry i said it,ll drain out just as quick LOL

Thats why im a toyota man dont even need to open the doors ha ha
Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:24 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Camping And 4Wd

Have a look at thumpers or arkpaks, easy to install & transferable between vehicles.

You can make your own far more cheaply if you have the time, desire, skill.

The procedure is available on most 4wd forums.

Oh, & I love my camping, 4wdriving, fishing.

Ive had a couple of Landys but, my current 4wd is a BT50.

Its worked out of every day & then reverts to a recreational vehicle as required.

Its got all the gear to tour the vic high country.

Its an extra cab with a 7' work & play f/glass canopy that sure beats sleeping in a tent when its raining hard.

Its also great at pulling the van.

Let me know when you want to go wheeling !!!!      :D

Cheers Fred.

ps, my 2nd batt is mounted on the chassis.

Posted 15 March 2018 - 04:51 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales