bakes

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSafety Bay, Western Australia
  • Business Name:Rockingham Mobile Mowing

One Mans Pain Is Another Mans Gain

Probably sounds a bit blunt, but as you know from another topic on here, I do mow for a real estate.

Last week another contractor who also mows for the same real estate slipped a couple of discs in his lower back. I've slipped a disc before and that was a real pain, didn't even know it was possible to slip a couple (poor darling).

But in all seriousness I hope he has a speedy recovery.

The upside, I have now inherited his RE round, which is good for a bit of fast cash, but the main reason for me is to compare how he measures up to how I mow or could even be the opposite.

Either way it will give me an idea if we are similar or if one of us needs to pull our socks up a bit.

Just booked in half a dozen extras of his tomorrow and my offsider has gone MIA. Looks like I have got a long day ahead of me.

Not to worry, this time next week I probably would have fallen asleep around the pool in Bali.

Posted 13 March 2018 - 11:54 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago.  One of their guys retired so I got handed 5 jobs, all within 2 mins of home.  Agent told me what the price he was  getting for each job and if I could go around and give quotes.   The prices given were all over $100/hr by my estimates, one was $120 for a 40min mow.  I told agent I was happy with the same prices, happy days :)

Posted 14 March 2018 - 06:38 AM

bakes
bakes

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Just received another 16 work orders to complete by Monday.

Always seems whenever I'm about to take a break, I get loaded with extras, happy dayz

Will defiantly enjoy my 2 week break.

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:18 PM

bakes
bakes

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

In total I have picked up 36 extras with him still out of action.

I'm getting shitloads of yard clean-ups and hedging thrown at me also.

This will well and truly pay for my trip to the Malaysian GP in November

Posted 05 April 2018 - 11:45 PM

wombat
wombat

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Hey Bakes, that's great and I think most of us have at some stage benefited from someone else's misfortune.

Do you talk to this guy? maybe even had a beer with him, I talk with the other local operators even though we are competing for the same dollar networks can be a good thing.

Seeing as you have been getting heaps of work and making good money have you considered calling into this other guy and slipping him a few dollars for the leads? Just saying, what comes around goes around.

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:35 PM

bakes
bakes

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

I did think about that for about 20 seconds, but I employ a young fella who suffers with mental health issues and he has a hell of a time getting work due to his condition, and it appears (at the moment) this work suits him and his condition well. So I'm happy to do my part by keeping him on and pay him.

Posted 08 April 2018 - 05:00 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales