plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Airmow

http://www.startupda...-mowing-demand/

Quotes by google maps, 20% cut. These are guys are dreaming.
Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:11 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Airmow

LOL, yes I saw this too yesterday in my feed. Ridiculous that every lawn would be the same as it is in the sat photo. 

Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:38 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Airmow

LOL, yes I saw this too yesterday in my feed. Ridiculous that every lawn would be the same as it is in the sat photo.

If they even had half a clue they would using hi res recent maps by nearmap not low res pics that are years old on google maps. Even then all it gives you is size not the dozen other factors involved in quoting. I reckon these clowns have never mowed a lawn in their life.
Posted 12 April 2018 - 06:48 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Airmow

If they even had half a clue they would using hi res recent maps by nearmap not low res pics that are years old on google maps. Even then all it gives you is size not the dozen other factors involved in quoting. I reckon these clowns have never mowed a lawn in their life.

My thoughts exactly. I was the thinking while reading it......these guys are about to lose a whole lot of money. They have invested a lot in it but it doesn't take in the realities.

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:03 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Airmow

a lot of beer Bobs will fall for it.....here's another Oz one http://www.joemow.com.au/  come in spinner

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:14 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Airmow

a lot of beer Bobs will fall for it.....here's another Oz one http://www.joemow.com.au/  come in spinner

Yep, it will be a like an Airtasker with a bit more info. Some customers will suffer, and some 'operators'.

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:19 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Airmow

Surely people will realise that, if this mob use properly set up lawnmowing contractors, they're going to be paying at least 20% more for the job than if they just delayed gratification for long enough to get a few quotes from Gumtree

But then again maybe not - the number of texts that I get saying in the first sentence or two "How much do you charge" just infuriates me - I want to reach through the phone and break their texting fingers - so maybe some Gen whatever kids will be happy with someone who says sight unseen, "It'll cost you $76 for a lawn# (see terms and conditions below)" - swipe left or right.

Posted 12 April 2018 - 07:43 PM

biggles
biggles

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationBrisbane northside

Airmow

Surely people will realise that, if this mob use properly set up lawnmowing contractors, they're going to be paying at least 20% more for the job than if they just delayed gratification for long enough to get a few quotes from Gumtree

But then again maybe not - the number of texts that I get saying in the first sentence or two "How much do you charge" just infuriates me - I want to reach through the phone and break their texting fingers - so maybe some Gen whatever kids will be happy with someone who says sight unseen, "It'll cost you $76 for a lawn# (see terms and conditions below)" - swipe left or right.

Of concern is the concept that one should be able to get ones lawn's mowed on the day. I had a gumtree inquiry today, received at midday wanting to make a 'reservation' for lawn mowing a yard cleaned up today, oh and send over a quote detailing what you charge. I'm sure Ismail wasn't able to install solar panels on the same day. 

Posted 12 April 2018 - 08:49 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Airmow

That site is a joke, they say having a scheduled mow is "a scam".   And $66/hour set fee, the contractor only gets $45/hr out of that. Clueless.

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:57 AM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Airmow

That site is a joke, they say having a scheduled mow is "a scam".   And $66/hour set fee, the contractor only gets $45/hr out of that. Clueless.

good for Joe though..............lol

Posted 13 April 2018 - 08:43 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Airmow

I'm a bit worried that operators can just accept one off jobs to be done that day.

Fair enough some of us may be able to get the odd unplanned job done on occasion but it should not be the norm.

Are operators not concentrating enough on regular cuts?

Posted 13 April 2018 - 02:53 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,561 posts
  • LocationIn Melbourne getting ready for hibernation

Airmow

we had a laugh about this

satellite image lol,

date of most recent image lol

chance of startup failure LOL

Posted 13 April 2018 - 07:03 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

Ply313
Ply313

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Airmow

I bet they didn't speak to one contracter about their bright idea before going in boots and all.. because anyone who does this for a living would have told them they are dreaming..
Posted 13 April 2018 - 09:44 PM

Trevc
Trevc

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Airmow

Devils advocate here.

There are a number of these around, Quickmow and Green Socks in Brisbane at least.
They have their place and I dont see them as a threat to the average lawnie out there.
They set a reasonable benchmark minimum (66), and frankly weed out the annoying one off calls during the busy times.
Upside for contractors are when your starting up and have lots of spare capacity, why not go and do a few jobs on the side. Good way to learn your trade whilst getting paid, and gives you a good idea of the type of clients you want (or dont want).

I certainly don't see them as a threat.
Posted 14 April 2018 - 12:31 AM

scorpNZ
scorpNZ

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNZ
  • Business Name:CDL

Airmow

20% ?  (as towmater would say) "that"s funny right there"

It also appears you don't get paid directly instead it comes from the company that runs the scheme . Nup unless the money is held in a trusted independent account so nobody gets their filthy mits on it until job done i'd steer clear of it

Edited by scorpNZ, 14 April 2018 - 07:06 AM.

Posted 14 April 2018 - 07:02 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales