Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:03 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

$24.00 Per Hour Can Be A Good Starting Point

Some contractors are not in it to provide all there income, and just want a little extra money.

Getting regular customers fast is important if you looking for a fulltime wage, if you cant buy customers, a lower rate than the competion is just common business.

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:49 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

, a lower rate than the competion is just common business.

Disagree, you can stick to your price and offer a better service eg free advice, guarantees, insurance, a review process, quality, customer service etc. Its called added value. 

Once you establish yourself as a cheaper option it is very hard to break out of that culture, from your point of view and the customers. Yes you will have more business, but you wont be in business for long.

Posted Yesterday, 10:19 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

When i started out i was very slow,  $30 lawns took me a hour to do, I was very slow with the trimmer and still learning a getting my fitness up, I was also strived for perfection.  These lawn were priced from the last guy but i gave all customer fixed prices for 12 months and honoured it..

A couple of weeks in I changed my aproach on learning and started Trimming at a fast walk, it took awhile to get crisp lines but it paid off in the end.  I learn to trim fast right from the start, I can nearly run and get a straight edge now.   I got a hang of the mower and was a lot faster at that aswell.

After 6 months the same lawns was getting done in half the time "30 min", then i got a $1000 backpack blower that saved me another 5 minutes.   So that $30 a hour when i started ended up being $72 a hour,   i still have  3 of these $30 in a row and  do all of them in a hour.

You may start out and look at your jobs and say well i only turned over $30 a hour and making bugger all out that.  I would say your still learning and getting some money out of it sort of like a apprentice would.  You could stay home and make nothing for yourself or stick with it, make a little and learn. 

Look for ways to cut time and effort, and learn to do things fast right from day one.  even if you have a few wavey lines and scalped bits the customer dont complain do your best fast..

Posted Yesterday, 02:20 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Victoria

You should look at things differently when you first start out.

Example:

You have one job for the day and you quoted $nn.nn for it.

You have to get yourself and your gear there at a cost of $n.nn and have a similar cost involved in getting home.

So you have transport and travel expenses of $n.nn.

Spending 1 hour on that job costs you the same as getting it finished in less than 15 minutes.

Unless you have to get home to watch daytime TV, your time would be better spent doing a good job.

Take your time and improve your skills while you have the luxury of spare time.

EDIT:

A quality job, attention to detail and leaving a clean looking site are your best advertisements.

Posted Yesterday, 05:10 PM

Our rates are $80 hour.

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

When i started out i was very slow,  $30 lawns took me a hour to do, I was very slow with the trimmer and still learning a getting my fitness up, I was also strived for perfection.  These lawn were priced from the last guy but i gave all customer fixed prices for 12 months and honoured it..

A couple of weeks in I changed my aproach on learning and started Trimming at a fast walk, it took awhile to get crisp lines but it paid off in the end.  I learn to trim fast right from the start, I can nearly run and get a straight edge now.   I got a hang of the mower and was a lot faster at that aswell.

After 6 months the same lawns was getting done in half the time "30 min", then i got a $1000 backpack blower that saved me another 5 minutes.   So that $30 a hour when i started ended up being $72 a hour,   i still have  3 of these $30 in a row and  do all of them in a hour.

You may start out and look at your jobs and say well i only turned over $30 a hour and making bugger all out that.  I would say your still learning and getting some money out of it sort of like a apprentice would.  You could stay home and make nothing for yourself or stick with it, make a little and learn. 

Look for ways to cut time and effort, and learn to do things fast right from day one.  even if you have a few wavey lines and scalped bits the customer dont complain do your best fast..

Ok, so the $30 lawns you inherited the other experienced guy was doing for over a $1 a min. ( 3 of these at $30 =$90 and you take an hr) 

So they were not $30 an hr lawns and there not now.  What year was this by the way? You sound like your comparing wages from ten years ago and charging the same amount today.

Posted Yesterday, 06:05 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

n = any number

$n = $1.00 up to and including $9.99

$nn = $10.00 up to and including $99.99

back to the OP

forget 'an hour' as any sort of repeatable or reliable measurement. Profit/Loss is more complex than beer coaster math.

Posted Yesterday, 06:53 PM

Our rates are $80 hour.

nathnsarah
nathnsarah

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

So your telling me you go in and quote old love $30 per hour.

Old love says yes go for it.

You do job in 2 hours ($60)

12 months later when you are more efficient!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old love still expects to be paying $30 per hour (because thats what you told her from the start) yet your out of there in 40 minutes!

Old love hands you a crisp $20 note (which is fair as this is what you both agreed on) and your on your way?

Or did you let her know that you were doing some sort of in house apprenticeship and you were now qualified so prices were going up.

Posted Yesterday, 06:59 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

off OP but still on topic

NEVER quote any job on an hourly rate.

QUOTE every job for an $N amount.

Take the time to list what you are quoting for so that what you are not quoting for is self evident by omission.

Invoice in the same manner, I post an excerpt from one of ours from today

18/4/2018

Garden service [address redacted] 

Blade cut lawn edges

Line trim garden borders and lawn obstacles

Mow lawns

Hedge trim overgrown Lilly pilly row along driveway

Clean up and remove resultant green waste from site

List what you will do/have done

Time should have nothing to do with it.

I charge $80 per hour to drive to the dump if it is hard rubbish but I never put that on the quote or invoice!

Example:

Remove hard waste from site and transport to Council Transfer Station $140

EXTRAS

Council Transfer Station fees at cost $70 per m3

Posted Yesterday, 07:15 PM

Our rates are $80 hour.

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

off OP but still on topic

NEVER quote any job on an hourly rate.

QUOTE every job for an $N amount.

Take the time to list what you are quoting for so that what you are not quoting for is self evident by omission.

Invoice in the same manner, I post an excerpt from one of ours from today

18/4/2018

Garden service [address redacted] 

Blade cut lawn edges

Line trim garden borders and lawn obstacles

Mow lawns

Hedge trim overgrown Lilly pilly row along driveway

Clean up and remove resultant green waste from site

List what you will do/have done

Time should have nothing to do with it.

I charge $80 per hour to drive to the dump if it is hard rubbish but I never put that on the quote or invoice!

Example:

Remove hard waste from site and transport to Council Transfer Station $140

EXTRAS

Council Transfer Station fees at cost $70 per m3

Grae, how would you go about quoting a reg garden maintenance visit that has no real specifications yet the customer wants to know what they're getting for their money ?  They just want their garden maintained to a high standard. They ask you how long will you be spending each visit?

Sorry Macka, a little off topic.

Cheers Fred.

Posted Yesterday, 07:47 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Grae, how would you go about quoting a reg garden maintenance visit that has no real specifications yet the customer wants to know what they're getting for their money ?  They just want their garden maintained to a high standard. They ask you how long will you be spending each visit?

Sorry Macka, a little off topic.

Cheers Fred.

Most of mine are like that.

I quote or negotiate a set fee either by the visit or by the calendar month on the understanding it is now my garden.

I explain I won't quote by the hour because on occasion I need to sit in the shade as required in summer or hide from the rain as required in winter, it's easier to just run on a flat rate and if either of us is unhappy we can always renegotiate or part ways…

as an example I have a commercial corner block I had been doing for $200 month flat rate…

lawns and weeds every 2~3~4 weeks and 40~60 minutes per visit depending on the season

a new manager arrives and emails me introducing self and explaining $200 was too expensive and the arrangement will need to be renegotiated.

The new arrangement at his suggestion is $145 per cut every 4 weeks and $55 to do the weeds as an extra every 3 months.

LOL, no worries mate, can do.

(More profitable for me but it might look a bit shaggy in the grow season!)

Here is my work sheet at the new price hourly rate worked out to $185 for that visit

Attached File  sample.pdf   27.71KB   5 downloads

On occasion I tell clients, 'I'm having trouble finding things to do now' or 'I can't keep up with it' and renegotiate.

If they are PITAs I just let them know I can no longer service them.

Posted Yesterday, 09:13 PM

Our rates are $80 hour.

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Ok, so the $30 lawns you inherited the other experienced guy was doing for over a $1 a min. ( 3 of these at $30 =$90 and you take an hr) 

So they were not $30 an hr lawns and there not now.  What year was this by the way? You sound like your comparing wages from ten years ago and charging the same amount today.

No the other experieiced guy was taking about 50 min for these $30 jobs.  He was very slow trimminng , caught all the grass which he double handled and really didnt have a patern to his work. 

Yes they were $30 a hour lawns when i started it took me way to long.  I implimented alot of changes to get that time and effort down.  just upped the Revs and sharpened the blades on the honda's enable me to cut twice as fast, he was double cutting clover patches.

Lucky the current  Level 1 Casual wage  in the Gardening and Landscaping Services industry is $23.51 per hour for a Casual.

Just for the extablished operators this topic was intended for people looking to start out in the industry, not intended as advice for extablished business. 

Getting clientis the key to income, with clients you get practice and get better and more clients.

Some operators buy lawn mowing rounds eg: 50k per annum worth the customers for 25K    they are basically working for half rate for 12 months and if there goal rate is $60 a hour they are working for $30 a hour.  Not everyoe has 25k to buy customers and disounting is a good option to grow fast.  

Someone can spend money on clients and effectively work for half rate for 12 months

Another person could just start low and get a base of customers then just increase the rates for the rest, both have business but one invented 25k in customers and the other has discouted.  

i know a couple of Lawn Contractors that do lawns and  garden maintance for $30 per hour and they are doing fine loving everyday, couldnt be happier,  Just doing a bit of work around the place, helping out, they both also work for the local Lions Club for free.   Not every contractor is the same.

Posted Yesterday, 11:26 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

No the other experieiced guy was taking about 50 min for these $30 jobs.  He was very slow trimminng , caught all the grass which he double handled and really didnt have a patern to his work. 

Yes they were $30 a hour lawns when i started it took me way to long.  I implimented alot of changes to get that time and effort down.  just upped the Revs and sharpened the blades on the honda's enable me to cut twice as fast, he was double cutting clover patches.

Lucky the current  Level 1 Casual wage  in the Gardening and Landscaping Services industry is $23.51 per hour for a Casual.

Just for the extablished operators this topic was intended for people looking to start out in the industry, not intended as advice for extablished business. 

Getting clientis the key to income, with clients you get practice and get better and more clients.

Some operators buy lawn mowing rounds eg: 50k per annum worth the customers for 25K    they are basically working for half rate for 12 months and if there goal rate is $60 a hour they are working for $30 a hour.  Not everyoe has 25k to buy customers and disounting is a good option to grow fast.  

Someone can spend money on clients and effectively work for half rate for 12 months

Another person could just start low and get a base of customers then just increase the rates for the rest, both have business but one invented 25k in customers and the other has discouted.  

i know a couple of Lawn Contractors that do lawns and  garden maintance for $30 per hour and they are doing fine loving everyday, couldnt be happier,  Just doing a bit of work around the place, helping out, they both also work for the local Lions Club for free.   Not every contractor is the same.

$23.41 per hr for a causal eh. But are there not a min time frame to pay them? 3 or 4 hr minimum?  (my wife works approx. 1 hr but gets 4 hrs pay for her casual job and at $35 an hr for cleaning...).They don't have to supply any gear at all and are covered by workers compensation. They get paid penalty rates and get superannuation.

You mad working for yourself at the numbers you quoted..bloody crazy. You are better off working at McDonalds, Nice inside job with set hrs and penalty rates that does not rely on weather or physical labour. You also don't have to purchase or repair any gear, do after hours book work, phone calls, banking and chase work, money etc.

Avg hrly rate in Australia is over $40 an hr, Avg wage is about $85k. 

New people into the industry should be charging rates that mean they can replace gear that breaks. 

Posted Today, 04:05 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales