AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:ultimate property services

Smashed Window

well, It was only a matter of time I suppose.  But I shot a rock through a sliding door window with my whipper .. 

Last job of the day too!! 

And did it make a mess !!   it was everywhere...   I couldn't believe it !!!

I didn't know if I should claim it through my insurance or the customers insurance or what !!

In the end it cost me $500 bucks for a new glass door....Urgggg

Has this happened to you guys?

and whats the best way to go about this ? 

Cheers

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:15 PM

bellarinelawns
bellarinelawns

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • Business Name:premier mowing and home service

Smashed Window

I'm of the opinion that you are invited onto the property and that the owner covers a certain level of risk/damage. If you are reckless such as letting a lawn mower roll into a car or into a glass Window then you are liable but if thru your normal mowing or brush cutting methods, a stone us flicked up and causes damage, then the owner should accept the risk and damage bill. Your excess is $500 which is ridiculouslying high as most windows we break will be less than $500. I have seen this topic many times and there never has been a conclusive answer. We need the insurance companies to step forward and give a clear answer. Maybe quite certain that if you broke a $5000 Window with a rock that had rolled out of the garden, that you insurance company would be laying the liability on the buildings liability policy and not yours.
Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:15 PM

DB86
DB86

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Business Name:DB

Smashed Window

It took me 15 years to break my first window.

Last year, Melbourne Cup day public holiday. First job of the day. A tiny piece pebble flicked from the line trimmer shattered the clients bedroom window, went off like a bomb. 

Because the repair job was a "public holiday call out", the cost was heavily inflated. 

Luckily the owner and I agreed to  split the cost in half to ovoid paying insurance excess.

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:55 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Smashed Window

my one and only, in 30 odd years, was also a sliding door - my own

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:01 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Smashed Window

Yes me too CG, in 35 years I've never broken a window (no offence meant Ando - #### happens) - I was doing a job today cleaning up a weed infested pebble garden bed that I'd sprayed a fortnight ago down the side of a narrow McMansion with big glass all the way down - I used a whipper that still has the guard attached and walked backward down the length of the bed so the string rotation would send any stones away from the windows - I'm sure it will happen to me one day but I dodged a bullet for today anyway

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:09 PM

bakes
bakes

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationSafety Bay, Western Australia
  • Business Name:Rockingham Mobile Mowing

Smashed Window

I feel your pain Ando, my last one was not to long ago and that cost me $550.

Posted 09 May 2018 - 11:00 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:ultimate property services

Smashed Window

hahahaha  

Ive been in the business for 3 months and Ive already done one, !!

and of all the glass in this guys house , i broke the biggest !! 

Expensive Day  (sigh) 

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:21 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Smashed Window

Ive done a glass sliding door and two car windows with rocks and put the head of the whipper thru a garage window once.

All cost less than the $500 excess it would of cost me to claim. 

I just replace the glass no argument, it doesn't take many mows until the cost is recouped, its tax deductable and you will have very happy clients.

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:21 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Smashed Window

I've been lucky so far but can see how easily it could happen.  Only thing I did recently was decimate a small plant when I was careless with the trimmer, of course had to be right near the front steps so very obvious.  $15 to replace.

I'm no legal expert but my feeling is can the blame be attributed to one party?  If the owner leaves something in the lawn that shouldn't be there eg a tent peg then I feel they should pay for any damage that may cause.  Likewise if you are trimming next to gravel/rocks that are obvious then you are liable for any damage that results.   A stray pebble in the lawn though- no one's fault really so maybe both parties pay half?

What lucky says is true as well, cost is tax deductible and it may be worth taking the hit if it means keeping a good client that could be worth thousands over many years.

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:13 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Smashed Window

I've been lucky so far but can see how easily it could happen.  Only thing I did recently was decimate a small plant when I was careless with the trimmer, of course had to be right near the front steps so very obvious.  $15 to replace.

I'm no legal expert but my feeling is can the blame be attributed to one party?  If the owner leaves something in the lawn that shouldn't be there eg a tent peg then I feel they should pay for any damage that may cause.  Likewise if you are trimming next to gravel/rocks that are obvious then you are liable for any damage that results.   A stray pebble in the lawn though- no one's fault really so maybe both parties pay half?

What lucky says is true as well, cost is tax deductible and it may be worth taking the hit if it means keeping a good client that could be worth thousands over many years.

this is when you make it known right from the start that you won't be liable as its possibly an accident waiting to happen

Posted 10 May 2018 - 04:50 PM

k1w1
k1w1

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 4 posts
  • Business Name:MoaMan

Smashed Window

I broke my first one a while back after 10 years. Didn't realize I did it (small hole in window) Customer rings me that night so I call round first thing next day. He said he will clam on insurance so I offer to do the next two mows($30 mow) free. we all walk away happy

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:49 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales