"when you say 2 how many do you really mean, just tell me the truth"

"nah we're pretty good, about 2 weeks"

"sure,i'll chase it up after 4"

4 weeks comes

email sent, no response

phone call  not returned

phone call  oh she'll pay rent tomorrow

phone call  not returned

email sent with i understand you may be in financial hardship, please ring to arrange a payment plan. no response

phone call  oh, she didnt pay rent last week

what do you do?

send an invoice for administration?

turn up with chook poo on your boots and have a chat?

buy them chocolates?

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:43 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Slow Paying Re

^^^ Why I don't work for REs this time around - what can you do? - stuff all practically- I think you're like an unsecured creditor as far as any bond claim goes if they end up evicting them - if they trashed the place you're #### out of luck unless you have some kind of pull with the property manager.

claim it off your tax and move on IMHO - and really think about whether to have anything to do with REs - maybe just accept that a certain proportion of your invoices are going to go unpaid and quote accordingly?

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:57 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Slow Paying Re

hit them with late payment fee & let them know it will accrue

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:58 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Slow Paying Re

Yes I find you have to give them a lot of tether but what ####s me is they often dont come forward with their terms. I often get told the 'rent' excuse. Its complete bull####. Often I have found that the agent simply hasnt submitted to the invoice to the accounts department.

On the other hand they are fountains of work so it pays to be extra patient with them. My advice is find out who is really paying the money, accounts department? Get their email address. Agent? Get their bosses email address. I got stuffed around for two mths with one agent and the moment I mentioned debt collection they paid. And they still give me work and now pay more promptly.

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:23 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Slow Paying Re

phone call  oh, she didnt pay rent last week

This excuse is a laughable, the agreement/contract you have in place is between yourself and the RE agent.  If they are chasing rent from the tenant that is irrelevant.

On my invoices I have a terms that I charge late penalties after being 1 week overdue, a further penalty being 2 weeks overdue and beyond that any debts are referred to a debt collection agency.  Beyond that I would be making a polite visit to their office in person to speak to someone.

Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:57 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Slow Paying Re

I love my agents.

I did a freebie for the office manager just the other day in fact. 

In well over 5 rears of doing jobs for them ive never not been paid. Some times its taken a long time to get paid but I don't chase them up like some of you seem to do. Every 4 to 6 months ill go through the invoice books and any outstanding ones ill photocopy and send back in.

Good and bad agents out there. Its usually not the property manager who is to blame for unpaid bills. If anything they like them paid and everything up to date. It makes the job so much easier.

Posted 10 May 2018 - 09:40 AM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Slow Paying Re

I hear you Lucky, but this is the first job I’ve done for this agent/branch.
if she responded to my email at 4 weeks and said oh bugger sorry, you missed the payment run it will be 2 or 4 more weeks I would have copped it sweet, the no reponse is the thing that bothered me most.

I have another R&h job no contact since it got going about 8 months ago, mow every 3 weeks, send an invoice get a cheque yep a 2018 cheque a fortnight later
Posted 10 May 2018 - 06:56 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Slow Paying Re

I hear you Lucky, but this is the first job I’ve done for this agent/branch.
if she responded to my email at 4 weeks and said oh bugger sorry, you missed the payment run it will be 2 or 4 more weeks I would have copped it sweet, the no reponse is the thing that bothered me most.

I have another R&h job no contact since it got going about 8 months ago, mow every 3 weeks, send an invoice get a cheque yep a 2018 cheque a fortnight later

Don't forget that they are all Franchises. One R&H has nothing to do with another.

Only RE I wont work for in town is a Harcorts.  I used to but the new  owner of that one owes me $50 from over a year ago. I gave up chasing and just tell everybody who is buying, selling, talking real estate, my customers, sole traders, strangers. etc etc etc to not deal with them as they don't pay their bills. I must be still on their computer as one of their new salespeople phoned me a few months ago to do a job and I just laughed and told them what kind of company they choose to work for...

Posted 10 May 2018 - 07:09 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Slow Paying Re

Paid this evening
Posted 10 May 2018 - 10:15 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales