• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic
Hedger
Hedger

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Ego Self Propelled Lawn Mower

Anyone hand any issues with the Ego self propelled lawn mower? I have been waiting for it to be repaired for over 2months.
Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:48 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Not the mower but I had to wait a similar time to get my EGO trimmer repaired.  Is it still under warranty?  EGO like to ignore consumer law and refuse to give you a replacement under warranty for a major fault as the consumer law states.  Instead they insist on repair and you wait weeks/months.   

If it's still under warranty you should walk into your place of purchase and demand a new one, even if it's not a major fault and they need to repair they still need to have it done in a reasonable time, and 2 months is not reasonable.

For the price their gear is good but the customer service is woeful.

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:35 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

This is very disappointing and not what I was told by EGO QLD rep John Goodman at the field day at Trade Tools - he assured me (verbally) that commercial customers would not be treated this way - and then intervened when TradeTools wanted me to return a dead 2.5AH battery so it could be returned to Ego for "assessment" - they then gave me a swap on the spot after I showed them the blinking error light - he said he would make TradeTools aware of Ego policy (whatever that actually is) with commercial clients -

if they're going to break in to the commercial market they've got to do better than your experiences - although it makes me wonder what happens when your Stihl, Husqvarna Masport etc etc piece of commercial gear breaks under warranty? - may well come back to the quality of your dealers support for their trade clients- I've posted here before about the support I got from the mower shop that sold me my Honda gear - no complaints! - I notice they've started selling Ego now so I'll ask them what their policy is on it when I'm in there next.

My Ego gear is about 6 months old now so it's past the early failure period - the blower is used daily (actually sold my Honda blower last week - hadn't used it in 6 months) - the other gear less so - so it will be interesting to see how long it all lasts.and how it is supported - I've thought that if anything does #### itself the skins are only $200-300 so I'd just go buy another one while it was being repaired and then have a spare - different with a $1000 mower tho. 

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:09 AM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Yer, took about a month to get a warranty claim on the chainsaw.

Stihl also took about a month to come to the party with a hla65 & hla 85, although they replaced both machines, which was substantial.

It was the drive on the ego that was the prob right ?

Was considering the sp steel deck ego considering that its only a couple of kilo's more than the push.

I don't really require sp but it'd be nice to try  :) , given that it the sp failed it would be that light to push, I proly wouldn't care.

Anyway, I think the more difficult they make warranty claims, the more reluctant you will be with your next one.

Worst example is with used cars. Ive known cases where they say they've repaired the car, only to find its just the same.

After having your car multiple times for lengthy periods, they hope you'll just give up.

Let us know the result. What excuses are they offering ?

Cheers Fred.

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:58 PM

Hedger
Hedger

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Yer, took about a month to get a warranty claim on the chainsaw.
Stihl also took about a month to come to the party with a hla65 & hla 85, although they replaced both machines, which was substantial.
It was the drive on the ego that was the prob right ?
Was considering the sp steel deck ego considering that its only a couple of kilo's more than the push.
I don't really require sp but it'd be nice to try  :) , given that it the sp failed it would be that light to push, I proly wouldn't care.

Anyway, I think the more difficult they make warranty claims, the more reluctant you will be with your next one.
Worst example is with used cars. Ive known cases where they say they've repaired the car, only to find its just the same.
After having your car multiple times for lengthy periods, they hope you'll just give up.

Let us know the result. What excuses are they offering ?

Cheers Fred.

Yes the Stihl Hla65 have a issue the motor popping out under load, plus bearings wear and need replacing. This is the second time my Ego mower has been in for repair, they tell me it's the controller for the drive unit. My hand held brushless hedger is in for repair too as it was dead.
Hope your well Fred
Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:21 PM

Hedger
Hedger

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Oh they are waiting for parts apparently
Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:23 PM

Hedger
Hedger

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Not the mower but I had to wait a similar time to get my EGO trimmer repaired.  Is it still under warranty?  EGO like to ignore consumer law and refuse to give you a replacement under warranty for a major fault as the consumer law states.  Instead they insist on repair and you wait weeks/months.   

If it's still under warranty you should walk into your place of purchase and demand a new one, even if it's not a major fault and they need to repair they still need to have it done in a reasonable time, and 2 months is not reasonable.

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:28 PM

Hedger
Hedger

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Yes it was under warranty. I cant demand a new one as I didn't pay for this one.
Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:33 PM

Hedger
Hedger

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Like some other manufacturers EGO only warrant their goods to the Original purchaser

''This warranty applies only to the original purchaser at retail and may not be transferred.''

I cant recall ever having to wait lengthy periods of time for a fix under warranty for anything so far. The wait for repairs ^^ is far too long and makes me pause re a new mower purchase.

Warranty aside think i,ll wait and see if Victa (sometimes known as Bunnings take it back if broken) bring in the 21'' SP next financial year.

I finally got it back today and I'm less than impressed as it was over two months and they still have my brushless hedger than was dead! My local dealer was doing warranty work for Ego , but apparently than dont have time to fix them and my hedger has been sent elsewhere. Not happy Jan
Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:45 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

If I can find his email address I think I'll send a link to this thread to the Australian EGO sales manager in Melbourne for a response - I may have deleted it when he asked for all correspondence and queries from us to go through the service desk

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:55 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Onya Croc.

Cheers Fred.

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:41 PM

Hedger
Hedger

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

If I can find his email address I think I'll send a link to this thread to the Australian EGO sales manager in Melbourne for a response - I may have deleted it when he asked for all correspondence and queries from us to go through the service desk

It's Ok as I have the direct contact for them. Still not sure if it's even been fixed as it had no paper work attached saying what has been done in the repair, with the original fault paperwork still attached. It may have just been sloppy work from the dealer but each time we spoke I was told they were waiting for parts! Hmmm ?
Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:13 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

So, if u have direct contact, lets find out !

Cheers Fred.

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:54 PM

Hedger
Hedger

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

So, if u have direct contact, lets find out !
Cheers Fred.

Hey Fred what do you want to find out? Whether I have their phone numbers?
Posted 22 May 2018 - 10:06 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Hey Fred what do you want to find out? Whether I have their phone numbers?

Just thought if u had direct contact with them, u might be able to bypass the dealer & his excuse of waiting for parts ?

Cheers Fred.

Posted 23 May 2018 - 08:57 PM

Hedger
Hedger

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

[quote name="Fred" post="23800" timestamp="1527073049"]Just thought if u had direct contact with them, u might be able to bypass the dealer & his excuse of waiting for parts ?

Cheers Fred.[/quote

Hey Fred, I spoke with Ego today and they were unaware of this issue and will chase it up.My mower was booked in on the 26/2 and I picked it up on the 17/5 with the same problem still. To make things worse it's been stored outside on a rack with a roof ,but open to the elements near the beach. I'm don't think's electric circuit boards like salt. Anyway I will keep you posted.
Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

Eighty:Eight
Eighty:Eight

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

get a toro it wont brake down like this rubbish
Posted 26 May 2018 - 11:41 AM

Hedger
Hedger

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

I have been told today that my mower is now out of warranty and the have no record of my mower waiting for repair for 3 months. I do have paper which is dated from last year when my mower was in for the same problem which they claim was fixed even though I made them aware that it still had the same problem. Anyone have any experience with Consumer Affairs and what the process is in lodging a formal complaint??
Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:32 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts

I've PMd you contact details of the OZ Marketing Manager I dealt with last year - I do believe management want to get in to the contractor market and this kind of thing is not a good look and that they would want to know what has transpired. If they don't then maybe that says something too.

Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:08 PM

Hedger
Hedger

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

I've PMd you contact details of the OZ Marketing Manager I dealt with last year - I do believe management want to get in to the contractor market and this kind of thing is not a good look and that they would want to know what has transpired. If they don't then maybe that says something too.

Thanks Croc , but I already have Jason number and last time we spoke it was getting sorted and apparently Harry has said that it's now out of warranty and not covered anymore.
Posted 06 June 2018 - 05:30 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales