Rory

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
  • Business Name:Firefly Lawns & Gardens

Selling Advice

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with selling a round. 

• What worked / didn't work?
  • Whats the best way to determine the value of your round?

Just looking for general advice as my dodgy knee and back are degenerating much faster than i expected.

Cheers 

;)

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:19 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Selling Advice

What something is worth is always only want someone is willing to pay, so I would look at what other rounds are selling for and base it on that.  But it will come down to value of equipment and the montly/annual value of your round.

Posted 15 May 2018 - 06:14 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Selling Advice

My knowledge is out of date but the lawns themselves didn't used to be worth much - I recall about one months summer cut value for residentials with no contract - so it comes back to your total business package and what you're selling IMO - ute/trailer/gear/Registered name/website/mobile number/email address/other advertising/existing contracts/how long you've been in business etc etc

Check out Gumtree for other businesses for sale - think indmowing.com.au has a buy/sell section too?

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:17 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Selling Advice

My knowledge is out of date but the lawns themselves didn't used to be worth much - I recall about one months summer cut value for residentials with no contract - so it comes back to your total business package and what you're selling IMO - ute/trailer/gear/Registered name/website/mobile number/email address/other advertising/existing contracts/how long you've been in business etc etc

Check out Gumtree for other businesses for sale - think indmowing.com.au has a buy/sell section too?

Summer cut? No disrespect Croc but that doesn't sound right. Summer for some of us is the quieter time due to no rain. 

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:12 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Selling Advice

Summer cut? No disrespect Croc but that doesn't sound right. Summer for some of us is the quieter time due to no rain. 

Yeah, would have been more accurate to say peak season cut whenever that is for you.

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:15 AM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Selling Advice

get in touch with Dean http://www.indmowing..._bus_rounds.htm

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:53 AM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Selling Advice

Dont really know much on this but was talking to a lawnie at the tip last week and he sold his round to retire.

He sold just the round with clappes out equipment for 7 times what the cut value is worth.

He told me the cut value was $ 10000 so im guessing he sold it for 70k

I thought that was pretty good going considering it was all resi work and no contracts.
Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:59 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Selling Advice

Dont really know much on this but was talking to a lawnie at the tip last week and he sold his round to retire.

He sold just the round with clappes out equipment for 7 times what the cut value is worth.

He told me the cut value was $ 10000 so im guessing he sold it for 70k

I thought that was pretty good going considering it was all resi work and no contracts.

When you say cut value what time frame or variables do you mean?

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:48 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Selling Advice

I'm interested in how Jims and VIP work out what a round is worth. @Colsy?

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Selling Advice

When you say cut value what time frame or variables do you mean?

Im not 100% but my understanding from what max was saying it sounded like a one off cut

Like adding all your clients prices togeather and times it by 7.

Id say most of his jobs would be 4 weekly as weve had bugger all rain and its the end of the seasion for us here.

i should run into max again in the next few days ill find out more and let you know
Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:40 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Selling Advice

The cut value is the AVERAGE price of every customer you have x the amount of customers you have. So if you have 100 customers and the AVERAGE price is $75 each job then your cut value is $7500.

The usual prices paid are normally the cut value x 4 but thats all in the negotiation. People start higher. 

I think Jims normally do the cut value x 4, they dont start higher, the price is the price. But they also have a ceiling. Generally a GOOD Jims round is often cheaper than a GOOD Indy, because you also pay ongoing fees.

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:54 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Selling Advice

Good info, thanx Colsy

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:18 PM

Rory
Rory

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
  • Business Name:Firefly Lawns & Gardens

Selling Advice

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. It turns out that my rough "guestimation" on the value of my clients was right on par with Colsy's formula.

Now lets see how we go.

:-?  :-))

Posted 22 May 2018 - 11:30 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,871 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Selling Advice

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. It turns out that my rough "guestimation" on the value of my clients was right on par with Colsy's formula.

Now lets see how we go.

:-?  :-))

GL mate, keep us updated!

Posted 23 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Selling Advice

Another thing you can do that only dawned on me recently is you can split it into bits. Find out where your local guys operate out of and offer them some customers for a small price, rather than waiting for the phone to ring on selling the whole thing.

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:12 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Selling Advice

how does one go about selling a few customers?

heard of it mentioned a lot but never the actual process. 

Posted 25 May 2018 - 05:32 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Selling Advice

how does one go about selling a few customers?

heard of it mentioned a lot but never the actual process. 

You just use the same formula. Cut value times 4...or more if they are blue chip.

I just bought 4 customers off a local Indy who was packing up. He threw in 3 more in the end.

Selling small amounts of customers is more of a word of mouth thing, eg bumping into guys at the tip or doing the rounds etc and having conversations.

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:27 PM

Mattie
Mattie

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Business Name:Oasis lawns & gardens

Selling Advice

I have sold 5 runs in my local area , it’s become a lot easier to sell runs especially when people see how well you are doing, Remember when you sell work the person buying it wants a lifestyle so make sure your home is beautifully maintained and your customers are also and they are happy to see you.
First impressions are everything .
Take the perspective buyer out with you for a day , show them how quick and easy they can make 500-600 and go home.
I always maintain that domestic work is only work that is temporary , even though I’ve had some domestic lawns for over 20 years , the fact is people die , they move house , they get the grandson to mow , thery change jobs, they lose a job . There is many reasons why domestic customers turnover .
Contract work or strata work on the other hand is a very good saleable commodity , when someone sells the tenancy of the unit may change but the lawny doesn’t .
So with these things in mind and all things being equal , you as the contractor know weather your work is really worth anything , you may have all crappy customers and jobs or they might be all premium over quotes .
I have alway sold work off that I didn’t like and got sick of doing ,so I was fairly negotiable on price .
I would always convince them to buy their own equipment , but you obviously want to get rid of yours.
I always sold enough work so that the person buy could start making money straight up and wouldn’t be whinging to me.
So usually sell between 50-70 jobs and ask 35k with no equipement and negotiate if have to.
The last run I sold was 55 jobs for $16k . The bloke wanted a run and he asked me to give him what $16k could buy as he want to spend so much on machinery.
Because I didn’t want the work and also wanted him to succeed I gave him the whole 55 jobs.
I hope this helps give you some idea, but it’s also hard to sell runs going into winter as you usually won’t have enough jobs to run over to convince him it’s a good buy.
Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:42 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Selling Advice

I've wondered if it's worth trying to selling a few customers on gumtree?  This summer I will have more customers than I can handle, do you just say no to new work, seems a waste.

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:39 AM

Trevc
Trevc

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Selling Advice

I've wondered if it's worth trying to selling a few customers on gumtree?  This summer I will have more customers than I can handle, do you just say no to new work, seems a waste.

Why not a buy/swap/sell thread on here?
Posted 29 May 2018 - 07:38 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales