16 replies to this topic
Mitee Widge
Mitee Widge

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTownsville

Victa Mastercut 462.

Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on these Victa 2 strokes. Seems like some one in Sydney purchased a heap of these but for some reason they were all returned to retailers. I noticed they are appearing on a number of mower retail sites [GYC / Hendersons]  as well as EBAY. I picked up one for $400.00 plus postage to Townsville. Supposedly only two months old. It is in very good nick but is obvious it has been used commercially. Front of engine cover has been engraved with the word ''North'' and the numeral ''2''. Curious as to why they would buy so many [ have seen at least 10 advertised] and then return them. I decided to grab one to replace my old Rover Super Ute. Has been forty years since I pushed a two stroke but very happy with it so far. Although they rev hard and don't seem to be achieving much they certainly knuckle down with the going gets hard. Would not have thought a two stroke would have been that torquey. Very light as well. Found myself grabbing it instead of the Mulchmaster 560 last week. Only concern is that it seems to have a rattle like piston slap when a full throttle. Power is good and not smoking so is this rattle part of the ''experience''? Thanks.

Posted 16 May 2018 - 06:00 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Victa Mastercut 462.

looks like a good score

Posted 16 May 2018 - 08:19 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,921 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Victa Mastercut 462.

The rattle may be the piston in the bore. It doesn't cost much to get a rebore and an over sized piston fitted.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:38 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Victa Mastercut 462.

Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on these Victa 2 strokes. Seems like some one in Sydney purchased a heap of these but for some reason they were all returned to retailers.

Might have got a scare with the upcoming ban on 2 strokes (only for new imports though ) not for the ones already here.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 04:21 PM

Mitee Widge
Mitee Widge

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTownsville

Victa Mastercut 462.

Might have got a scare with the upcoming ban on 2 strokes (only for new imports though ) not for the ones already here.

Hopefully Victa will keep the manufacture of the parts going for a few years. Will have a closer listen to the engine next time i run it. Thinking it may just be ####ler reverberation. They seem a good little machine. Not being made anymore was part reason to grab one before they're gone for good.

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:52 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Victa Mastercut 462.

Victa Power Torque engines all rattle even from new. The basic design has been around since the 80’s in various forms. The noise is very normal, and not a concern at all. These motors are cheap and easy to rebuild too.
Posted 18 May 2018 - 07:48 AM

Mitee Widge
Mitee Widge

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTownsville

Victa Mastercut 462.

Victa Power Torque engines all rattle even from new. The basic design has been around since the 80’s in various forms. The noise is very normal, and not a concern at all. These motors are cheap and easy to rebuild too.

Hi John 22. Thanks for that. Rest of the mower looked ''as new'' so I hoped it would not be piston / slap that early in it's life. Thought i may have been sold a pup. Thank as well to all who contribute here. Great little forum.

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:46 AM

DB86
DB86

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Business Name:DB

Victa Mastercut 462.

Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice on these Victa 2 strokes. Seems like some one in Sydney purchased a heap of these but for some reason they were all returned to retailers. I noticed they are appearing on a number of mower retail sites [GYC / Hendersons]  as well as EBAY. I picked up one for $400.00 plus postage to Townsville. Supposedly only two months old. It is in very good nick but is obvious it has been used commercially. Front of engine cover has been engraved with the word ''North'' and the numeral ''2''. Curious as to why they would buy so many [ have seen at least 10 advertised] and then return them. I decided to grab one to replace my old Rover Super Ute. Has been forty years since I pushed a two stroke but very happy with it so far. Although they rev hard and don't seem to be achieving much they certainly knuckle down with the going gets hard. Would not have thought a two stroke would have been that torquey. Very light as well. Found myself grabbing it instead of the Mulchmaster 560 last week. Only concern is that it seems to have a rattle like piston slap when a full throttle. Power is good and not smoking so is this rattle part of the ''experience''? Thanks.

Ah the internet. After seeing this post last week, um well um......... I went and placed an order for one these. 

It arrived today and its such a nimble little thing. I'm a big Victa 2-Stroke fan, when the going gets tuff they just hunker down and get on with it. These are a great little mower for small areas. I used it on my own lawn this afternoon, you wouldn't have known it was a sidethrow cut. 

My grandfather had a Victa Mustang for many many years, those were the ones encased with the green plastic cladding. This new Mastercut smells and sounds exactly the same. Whenever I hear one of these engines it makes me remember cutting the lawn with my Pa as a young kid. 

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:50 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationWhere spring has sprung, weed city

Victa Mastercut 462.

The good old days

Attached File  $_20.JPG   41.24KB   2 downloads

source

https://goo.gl/images/jJ3ccB

Posted 22 May 2018 - 05:59 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

DB86
DB86

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Victa Mastercut 462.

The good old days

attachicon.gif$_20.JPG

source

https://goo.gl/images/jJ3ccB

Ha ha. Yes Pa used to fill his up with Good old Zoom 25. 

Posted 22 May 2018 - 06:48 PM

DB86
DB86

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Victa Mastercut 462.

Ah the internet. After seeing this post last week, um well um......... I went and placed an order for one these. 

It arrived today and its such a nimble little thing. I'm a big Victa 2-Stroke fan, when the going gets tuff they just hunker down and get on with it. These are a great little mower for small areas. I used it on my own lawn this afternoon, you wouldn't have known it was a sidethrow cut. 

My grandfather had a Victa Mustang for many many years, those were the ones encased with the green plastic cladding. This new Mastercut smells and sounds exactly the same. Whenever I hear one of these engines it makes me remember cutting the lawn with my Pa as a young kid. 

Just to follow up on the above....

Loving how lightweight this little machine is. No ramps needed either to load/unload onto the ute.

I have been using it to "cut in" around trees/poles ect or intricate areas on certain jobs and using the big Mulchmaster or Rover 560 for the rest. The big fuel tank is also handy. The plastic side flap does snag a bit on the lower settings. 

A great addition to the artillery.  :D  

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:52 PM

Mitee Widge
Mitee Widge

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTownsville

Victa Mastercut 462.

Just to follow up on the above....

Loving how lightweight this little machine is. No ramps needed either to load/unload onto the ute.

I have been using it to "cut in" around trees/poles ect or intricate areas on certain jobs and using the big Mulchmaster or Rover 560 for the rest. The big fuel tank is also handy. The plastic side flap does snag a bit on the lower settings. 

A great addition to the artillery.  :D  

Yeah they are certainly easy to push around. Even though the Mulchmaster 850 is self propelled I reckon it  takes less effort to mow a 1/4 acre with the Mastercut than the Mulchmaster ! Just doesn't give the finish.

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:23 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Victa Mastercut 462.

Would it give the finish if you bought the mulching kit ?

Posted 13 July 2018 - 03:58 PM

Mitee Widge
Mitee Widge

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationTownsville

Victa Mastercut 462.

Always use the mulching insert with the Mulchmaster and happy enough with the results. Didn't think the little Mastercut was available with a mulching plug? Only worry with the Mastercut is how that pressed steel body will stand up. I've taken to scrapping away the build up away and giving it a spray with Lanotec at the end of each day.

Posted 14 July 2018 - 09:39 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,977 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Victa Mastercut 462.

http://www.henderson...msp462-2-stroke

Posted 14 July 2018 - 11:23 AM

DB86
DB86

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Victa Mastercut 462.

The finish both the Mastercut and Mulchmaster, but especially the Mastercut, gives depends on the condition of the lawn. You certainly have to pick your mark with them. On well kept, regularly serviced lawns, both of these give excellent finish with the bonus of no stopping to empty catchers or runs to the tip. Thick and heavily overgrown lawns or lawns covered in leaves, are best left to another mower, in my case the Rover ProCut. 

Posted 15 July 2018 - 08:11 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Victa Mastercut 462.

Reset over spam
Posted 20 July 2018 - 10:16 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales