Lawn Mowing Business
How To Start A Lawn Mowing Business
LAWN CLUB
the independent aussie lawn and
garden contractors community
welcoming all lawn and garden contractors and industry suppliers
Photo

How Do You Raise Your Price After A Silly Quote?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic
Blair B
Blair B

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

I aim for $90 an hour, don't always get it yet but will soon.

I time my hourly rate from the time I start unloading my gear until the time I pack it back up.

For example if I have clients who live next door to one another then I should be able to unpack my gear, mow both lawns and pack up all my gear within an hour and have earnt $90.

My minimum charge for any new lawn I take on now is $40 no matter how small.

I think $90 is a fair hourly rate and those who have been mowing for awhile know that to keep offering a professional and reliable lawn mowing service, that there are some costly overheads to pay for week in week out.

And also we should all be earning enough to put something into our super. I haven't been able to do yet... might be time for a pay rise.

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:46 PM

dean11
dean11

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Years ago a contractor pulled up beside where I was working and wanted to discuss setting up a mowing professional association. Call it MPA. Nothing came of it I think, but it's a nice idea. Or dream.

So, MPA members have proper insurance, always use quality machines, do a great job, they have all passed an online induction relating to safety, they all issue receipts and pay tax ... so when they flash their MPA card and quote $90 per hour everyone says "That's reasonable, the job is yours". But we are never going to turn mowing into a regulated trade without heavy government intervention and control, and who wants that? As independents we like our independence.

Posted 13 June 2018 - 11:05 PM

Mattie
Mattie

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Business Name:Oasis lawns & gardens

Quoting hourly rates at $90 can and will price you out of jobs in certain areas , can also give you a reputation as a ripoff merchant. Being able to quote a job and complete the work in line with your desired hourly rate is a different story. I quote average ldomestic lawns between $50-60 depending on demographics . I can usually hand mow a job between 35-45 mins by myself depending on growth , some even quicker especially the weekly cut jobs .i have a good formula for hedges which has worked very well over the years . Sometimes it’s better to take a pay cut and help someone out and earn some good will which is like paying for advertising anyway. I think you should have minimum charge when travelling to deliver a service , but if you are already there doing something else than a reasonable rate should be applied ,.happy customer best form of advertising.
Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:32 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Quoting hourly rates at $90 can and will price you out of jobs in certain areas , can also give you a reputation as a ripoff merchant. Being able to quote a job and complete the work in line with your desired hourly rate is a different story. I quote average ldomestic lawns between $50-60 depending on demographics . I can usually hand mow a job between 35-45 mins by myself depending on growth , 

You should never quote your hourly rate, quote a price for the job, of course this means you need to be accurate when estimating timing.  I still under/over estimate sometimes but I think on average it works out about even, I timed all my jobs last summer and I averaged $110/hr.  When I started out I think it was more like $70/hr.  A combination of better quoting and just getting faster/more efficient

I'm sure if I quoted @ $110/hr a lot of people, even in my area, would think that's too high, but if I quote their lawn for $60 and I know it's only going to take me 30-35mins they are happy. 

Posted 14 June 2018 - 06:58 AM

dean11
dean11

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I suppose it is like real estate ... "location, location, location". In Sydney years ago I used to be able to charge much more than I can now. It must be hard in country towns.

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:17 PM

Blair B
Blair B

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

You should never quote your hourly rate, quote a price for the job, of course this means you need to be accurate when estimating timing.  I still under/over estimate sometimes but I think on average it works out about even, I timed all my jobs last summer and I averaged $110/hr.  When I started out I think it was more like $70/hr.  A combination of better quoting and just getting faster/more efficient

I'm sure if I quoted @ $110/hr a lot of people, even in my area, would think that's too high, but if I quote their lawn for $60 and I know it's only going to take me 30-35mins they are happy. 

Some of my lawns are well under priced and due for a rise.

I think $110 is a fair hourly rate for the professional who is doing a class A job.

I will start aiming for that myself.

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:13 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

I have never charged by the hr as i find it can cap how much you can earn.

Quote the job for x ammount i find this works well for me and the customer as the customer knows how much it will cost them up front.
Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:05 AM

That Handy Fella
That Handy Fella

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
  • Business Name:That Handy Fella

The rates that can be charged (either hourly or by job) vary greatly depending on a number of factors.

Of great significance is the demographics of the area you are quoting in.

In some suburbs you can (and should) charge a lot more than in others.

Charge too much in poorer suburbs and you won't win a job.
Charge too little in more affluent suburbs and you can be seen as 'cheap and nasty', or at the very least, leave lots of potential profit on the table.

I have found the best way to minimise under-quoting is to not offer a quote on the spot.

I always try to buy some time and space to give the quote serious consideration before committing to a price.

Take some photos with your phone, grab an email address or phone number, and then go home to 'scratch your head'.

Then email or call back with a well thought through price.

Under-quoting is often the result of making hasty decisions whilst feeling under pressure as the customer follows you around while you try to work through the job in your mind.

Posted 17 June 2018 - 07:08 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

good point mate, it often pays (excuse the pun) to think on it before giving a price 

Posted 17 June 2018 - 08:07 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales