spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Tying Down Your Gear

This afternoon there was a bit of a prang holding up traffic, when we got to it there’s a ditch witch or similar being craned onto a truck after it had burst through the front of the box trailer.
So, how diligent is everyone at tying down their equipment?

I’ve finally got around to tying a bit of shade cloth over my mower whipper etc in the ute (most of the time anyway) after having a couple of cops chip me about it during breath tests. A mate up the coast said the local cops up his way are savage on anything uncovered and fines are $400 per item
Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:42 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Tying Down Your Gear

the fines are savage....but l'm pretty lax with covering BUT l'm 200% about tying down loads

on another note, getting ####ed off with the lack of moderating ..........

Posted 26 June 2018 - 07:49 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Tying Down Your Gear

My push mowers and ztrs are all straped down on the truck all my other gear is secured in my tool boxes.

My grass bags and green waste gets covered with a elastic shade cloth tarp.

I was fined $400 as a apprentice for a uncovered load of soil so from that day on ive been fussy with that sorta stuff.
Posted 26 June 2018 - 08:02 PM

dean11
dean11

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Tying Down Your Gear

Spongy, what are we talking about exactly ? Do you mean that if I rope my gear onto the trailer, I still have to cover it with shade cloth or similar ? Why ?!

I must have a couple of very good guardian angels because I am very casual about this sort of thing and I have never had any trouble.

Posted 26 June 2018 - 10:55 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Tying Down Your Gear

Spongy, what are we talking about exactly ? Do you mean that if I rope my gear onto the trailer, I still have to cover it with shade cloth or similar ? Why ?!

I must have a couple of very good guardian angels because I am very casual about this sort of thing and I have never had any trouble.

It's mandatory and heavily policed here in QLD - it's rare to see any ute without a cargo net of some kind - I've got a high sided ute tray with a full tonneau so I just tie off a bit of extra bungy cord so I can loosen it a bit to carry high loads - but it's on the whole time regardless

Other than that I've put eyebolts spread round the sides and use a cambuckle strap on the mower and security cables on the other gear when I'm not in sight of the ute.

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Tying Down Your Gear

im in Tassie...i and everybody else dont cover anything...

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:19 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationWhere spring has sprung, weed city

Tying Down Your Gear

I use shade mesh (cut longer than the length of the tray but equal to the tray width) wrapped and stapled to a piece of 70 x 35mm treated pine cut the width of the tray, one for the front one for the back, with a self tapper eye bolt screwed into the end grain of each end of the timber. I have short pieces of water ski rope (easily spliced) in each eye bolt.

It rolls up reasonably neatly if you can be bothered or good enough if you are lazy.

You can walk down one side of the ute using the pine to spread the shade mesh even in the wind and because of the weight of the timber it stays put until you tie it off.

Attached File  IMG_0877.jpg   73.86KB   1 downloads

I also have a rope box bolted under the tray with a good assortment of ropes which get used every day.

EDIT: Ex Queenslander, learnt the lesson up there and I just kept doing it even though very few down here do (Melbourne)

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:52 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Tying Down Your Gear

im in Tassie...i and everybody else dont cover anything...

Ditto up the other end. One rope to tie down the palm fronds thats it.

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:45 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Tying Down Your Gear

Ditto up the other end. One rope to tie down the palm fronds thats it.

one rope is enough unless you can get the truck up to 200 km/h

EDIT: the assumption was most of the big/heavy ends get stacked forwards and the rope is near the centre of mass  ;)

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:47 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Tying Down Your Gear

you have to fold the big ones and in that case front rear arrangement stack evens it out to a nice tight pack, one rope is still enough

EDIT: makes it hard at the dump though, easiest at the dump is fat ends to the rear, and you still only need one rope but up the front

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:53 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Tying Down Your Gear

one rope is enough unless you can get the truck up to 200 km/h

Yeah the Queensland situation was a legal response to ####heads losing an insecure load on the M1 Motorway or similar causing grief or mayhem for those following - I was told recently by a tradie that securing a load with rope was no longer acceptible in the new laws - ratchet webbing tiedowns only - haven't verified that tho

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:55 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Tying Down Your Gear

on ropes (3 minutes)

ropes are versatile and pack away neatly

cargo strap ratchets are a pain to store and are really only good for over the top and tension situations

EDIT: My views may be historically biased. I was a cub, a scout and my grandfather was a farmer. 

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:16 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Tying Down Your Gear

pretty sure you have to use tie-downs in nsw now, which is bl00dy ridiculous.......for tarps, keep an eye out for trampoline mats, they're indestructible and fold up nearly as small as a plastic tarp

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:22 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Tying Down Your Gear

Just another reason I'm glad I went with a van :)

Posted 30 June 2018 - 09:26 AM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Tying Down Your Gear

The most important thing in a van is a strong cargo barrier between you and your load.

In a head on collision any unsecured gear is still travelling at road speed (say 80km/h) even though the vehicle has suddenly stopped.

A friend was killed by a text book hitting her in the back of the neck during a 60km/h collision. It was on the parcel shelf of her Mini Cooper.

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:15 AM

Barefoot
Barefoot

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast

Tying Down Your Gear

I had a mate almost get booked the other day.
Had had a large esky in the back tied down with rope, tied with truckies hitch. So very secure.
The cop tried to be smart asking what the rope was actually doing. My mate said that it was tied down and told the cop to try move the esky.
He didn’t get a ticket. Cop was just wasting his time. Followed him for 15mins before pulling him over too. And was at 530am.
Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:21 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,310 posts

Tying Down Your Gear

Ropes are acceptible but not preferred in QLD:-

https://www.tmr.qld....-restraint.aspx

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:39 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Tying Down Your Gear

I had a mate almost get booked the other day.
Had had a large esky in the back tied down with rope, tied with truckies hitch. So very secure.
The cop tried to be smart asking what the rope was actually doing. My mate said that it was tied down and told the cop to try move the esky.
He didn’t get a ticket. Cop was just wasting his time. Followed him for 15mins before pulling him over too. And was at 530am.

Cop was probably hoping he smelt alcohol and your mate was coming home from a do.

Unfortunately police have become revenue raisers rather than police.

Posted 30 June 2018 - 05:40 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Tying Down Your Gear

Yer, one of those things you can get a little slack on, then its brought up/discussed on here & you tighten it up again. Thanx for bringing it up SB, forum is good for reminders.

Cheers Fred.
Posted 30 June 2018 - 07:42 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Tying Down Your Gear

The most important thing in a van is a strong cargo barrier between you and your load.

In a head on collision any unsecured gear is still travelling at road speed (say 80km/h) even though the vehicle has suddenly stopped.

A friend was killed by a text book hitting her in the back of the neck during a 60km/h collision. It was on the parcel shelf of her Mini Cooper.

+1, had a friend killed in a similar way, unsecured toolbox hit back of the head in a crash.

Van with a steel bulkhead or cage is a no brainer.

Posted 04 July 2018 - 08:34 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales