• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
dean11
dean11

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Falling Asleep On The Job

My problem with my Toro MX4250 zero turn is falling asleep at the wheel - or, at the levers. I think it is being so close to the ground, with a green field of colour sweeping by constantly. I have mini-dozes and jolt awake a couple of metres off line. Hope I don't have one when there's a tree there, some day. When it gets really bad, I have to stop and go and some whippersnippering or whatever; then I don't feel drowsy at all. Anyone else have this problem?

Posted 26 June 2018 - 11:01 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

My problem with my Toro MX4250 zero turn is falling asleep at the wheel - or, at the levers. I think it is being so close to the ground, with a green field of colour sweeping by constantly. I have mini-dozes and jolt awake a couple of metres off line. Hope I don't have one when there's a tree there, some day. When it gets really bad, I have to stop and go and some whippersnippering or whatever; then I don't feel drowsy at all. Anyone else have this problem?

Doesn't sound good Dean - how's your sleep at night? - I packed on the weight doing an office job for 25 years and ended up with sleep apnoea - but even seemingly normal weight people can have it - I use a cpap machine now - it ain't perfect but until I mow enough lawns to shed the blubber I use it every night - makes a huge difference.

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:45 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Go see a doctor ASAP, it could be a heart condition........

Posted 27 June 2018 - 08:53 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Dont mow near water or cliff,s then. Get someone to check you out!!!!!

Posted 27 June 2018 - 02:29 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

As everyone else has said Dean, certain medications can cause drowsiness all of this you need to discuss with your doctor. A full blood count, liver function and thyroid test are a must.
Posted 28 June 2018 - 10:27 AM

bellarinelawns
bellarinelawns

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Business Name:premier mowing and home service

Sounds like sleep apnea. You need to undertake a sleep test. It involves an overnight stay at a sleep clinic. You're fully wired up and it monitors several things but primarily how much quality sleep you actually get.
Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:26 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Things have come a long way since I had my first sleep test a dozen years ago - it was an expensive pain the #### procedure which confirmed what I already knew but the main point of it was to get the correct mask pressures for the old style fixed pressure machines - then you went back for a second sleep test to verify the settings - seemed like a bit of a money making scheme even then

nowadays the best advice would probably be to have an at-home sleep test done (lot of companies do it now) - that should tell you whether you have it and roughly how bad - then, with the modern auto pressure machines you simply choose a mask that's comfortable and a machine and learn to live with it - the machine senses your breathing and adjusts pressure continuously.

Posted 28 June 2018 - 11:40 AM

dean11
dean11

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Thanks to all for the thoughts and comments. I don't think it's a physical thing because I only get it when driving a ride-on mower and then only sometimes; also it has been happening for a long long time. I was thinking along the lines of boredom + heat + swaying motion + something else ... maybe eye strain, maybe breathing carbon monoxide from the engine - can CO accumulate in the air above a flat grassy area on a still day, when you are driving around in ever smaller circles ? I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this effect. Thanks.

Posted 28 June 2018 - 06:01 PM

DLD
DLD

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Business Name:LDL

"...maybe breathing carbon monoxide from the engine - can CO accumulate in the air above a flat grassy area on a still day, when you are driving around in ever smaller circles ? I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this effect. Thanks..."

G'day Deano,

As mentioned, head to the Doc mate.

With the quote above - you could nearly be fishing for a case against small engine manufacturers for engine emissions!!! 

Thats a joke mate - but your health isn't - make sure your not going to fall asleep at the wheel/lever of any vehicle your controlling. 

Falling asleep - or having a micro-sleep - while mowing is one thing. The propensity for the same to happen on the road takes things to a whole new level. 

Righto...take care mate.

DLD...

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:13 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,857 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Not good mate. I cannot say ive ever felt tired on the ride on. 

Maybe fit some sort of perminate dead mans handle using the kill switch wire?

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:21 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales