Road Runner
Road Runner

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationPerth WA
  • Business Name:She Oaks Gardening Service

Council Ranger

I was doing a pruning job the other day. NZ Christmas bushes that had got out of hand and were shading the lawn and obstructing the path. The owner wanted me to go to town on them but I suggested chopping them down and starting again as she wanted a low dense hedge. No go she just wanted them cut right back so fair enough. After the chainsaw has been going a while a council vehicle parks across the road and watches me for a bit then drives by a few times. Later on after the first green waste run a council ranger drives up and fronts me about working when I have been ordered to stop. The owner came out and agreed that no one had asked me to stop. the ranger calmed down and explained that I was pruning on council land. It seems that the property boundary was only a few metres from the front door and the NZ Christmas bushes were council trees even though the owner had planted them. All future pruning must be carried out by council staff. I would never touch a genuine 'street tree' but had no idea I could not touch something planted by the owner. Live and learn I guess.

We went round the corner and it looked like the oleander (also planted by the owner) neatly bisected the boundary. The ranger said if it was a shrub then I could prune it but if it is a tree I can't. I pointed out that the definitions of trees and shrubs were a bit rubbery and if I pruned a tall shrub to a single main stem it would look like a tree. In the end we decided not to touch it. Must remember to take a surveying team and consulting botanist on my next pruning quote.

Posted 09 July 2018 - 01:03 PM

DLD
DLD

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Business Name:LDL

Council Ranger

Could of been worse RR...

It could of been the neighbour who approached you...

"...Reynolds remained in control of the mower and the blades have come into contact with the inner left thigh of Bersais causing significant damage to that area, police facts said..."

https://www.portnews...acquarie-court/

Cheers!

DLD...

Posted 09 July 2018 - 07:25 PM

Mattie
Mattie

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Business Name:Oasis lawns & gardens

Council Ranger

Power trip by the sounds to me.
Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:16 AM

Road Runner
Road Runner

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationPerth WA
  • Business Name:She Oaks Gardening Service

Council Ranger

It actually got even more complicated with a follow up interview. It seems that there are only about 20 authorised species of trees that can be planted on council land. The home owner was fine to plant NZ Christmas bushes but once they became trees (depends how you define a tree though) they became unauthorised. In theory the council should have chopped them down at that point. It would have been ok to replant small NZ Christmas bushes that the owner could have managed so they remained small and multi stemmed (i.e. not trees). The whole episode has been a PITA but the council has let us both off with a warning rather than prosecuting the owner for planting a bush and allowing it to grow into an unauthorised tree and in my case pruning the unauthorised tree. I think it was the neighbour whinging but if he had come over for a chat I am sure we could have resolved the issue without half the council staff getting involved (and no I would not have run over him with a mower).

Posted 11 July 2018 - 12:16 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,259 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Council Ranger

Power trip as Mattie suggested. Nothing else to do except annoy someone making a buck. Very dissapointing!. :angry:

Posted 11 July 2018 - 05:48 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationWhere spring has sprung, weed city

Council Ranger

Put in some Bougainvillaea, I'm fairly sure it's not a tree

Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:15 PM

I remember what I'd forgotten but can't remember why I needed to

Mattie
Mattie

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Business Name:Oasis lawns & gardens

Council Ranger

Had one chip me 10 years ago about blowing a handful of clippings onto the road .
####s with a bit of power .
Posted 11 July 2018 - 06:18 PM

DLD
DLD

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Business Name:LDL

Council Ranger

RR...great result and great quote:

"..rather than prosecuting the owner for planting a bush and allowing it to grow into an unauthorised tree and in my case pruning the unauthorised tree.."

Cheers, DLD...

Posted 11 July 2018 - 07:46 PM

DB86
DB86

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Business Name:DB

Council Ranger

Had one chip me 10 years ago about blowing a handful of clippings onto the road .

Because a council worker would never blow clippings onto the road.  <_<  NOT! 

Posted 11 July 2018 - 08:43 PM

bakes
bakes

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSafety Bay, Western Australia
  • Business Name:Rockingham Mobile Mowing

Council Ranger

Now that is funny, all the council garden workers over here blow the clippings onto the road.

Posted 11 July 2018 - 09:00 PM

zippy one
zippy one

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationNorth West of Brisbane
  • Business Name:Chris's Leaves and Lawns

Council Ranger

well that's interesting as has been mentioned,a council worker on a power trip to annoy some poor hard working man.Never heard of anything like this before,interesting to read.

Posted 12 July 2018 - 08:11 AM

dean11
dean11

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Council Ranger

Our council says if you plant anything on your nature strip we have the right to remove it if and when we like, and if we do we will charge you the cost of removal.

But I think that rule is just in case you plant a forest of giant sequoias and in fact they seem to leave most gardeners alone.

Rule makers, rule worshippers ...

Posted 20 July 2018 - 02:31 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Council Ranger

I had a tiny dying tree out front of my place that I asked the council if I could replace, got a message from them that they will remove it and replace it with a native.  Few months later tree is removed but no replacement.  Wait 6 months, still no replacement,so I plant my own native.  One week later I come home one day and they've removed it and replaced it with their own.  Sigh.

Posted 23 July 2018 - 07:25 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales