spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Lightweight V Heavyweight

chatting to another local lawnie the other day, hes looking at my ute asking about ramps and this and that, and says i dont know how you do it

i looked at his trailer and everything in it and say, how do you park or get lunch, i dont know how you do it.

lightweight or heavyweight, or better yet have you ever changed from 1 to the other

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:02 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Depends on circumstances - l'm out of the city so a trailer is the go. If l was working around say Paddo/Surry Hills (probably a lot of Sinny these days)  then l'd consider my options......

Posted 26 July 2018 - 07:08 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Depends on circumstances - l'm out of the city so a trailer is the go. If l was working around say Paddo/Surry Hills (probably a lot of Sinny these days)  then l'd consider my options......

i take everything, heavy weight i supose, taindom trailer with 2 SP mowers, 1 x rideone, 2 whippys, 2 blowers , atom, sprayers etc.

time is money, having it all means im setup for all jobs for the week.   I dont unload any gear at home only for sevicing.

Posted 26 July 2018 - 10:44 PM

Barefoot
Barefoot

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationCentral Coast

Lightweight here. Have a toolbox each side of the Ute with everything I need in them and 1 or 2 mowers in between depending on the jobs for the day.
We have a lot of narrow and tight streets around here and a trailer is too impractical in my opinion.
Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:34 PM

Grae
Grae

testing where this goes

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Vic

If you just do mow and tidy, a ute (or any vehicle) is all you need.

If you do other things (RE, gardens, clean ups…) sometimes you need a trailer, YES, finding parking with a trailer in tow is a problem at times

Posted 27 July 2018 - 06:55 PM

read between the lines, if he seems drunk, he possibly is

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

its not just the inner city, here in sub division city with narrow blocks and bloody trees planted in the road a double length park isnt always easy

i travel light but unpack every day, best/worst ive seen is 1 man carrying 3 rakes!? i usually dont have 1

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:53 PM

bakes
bakes

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationSafety Bay, Western Australia
  • Business Name:Rockingham Mobile Mowing

At the moment I'm a heavyweight, truck and tandem trailer with all tools and machinery on me.

Just going through my busiest winter ever averaging 2-3 clean-ups a week on top of my regular mows.

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:40 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Tried to keep things minimal myself - Hilux with Hi side trayback - perfect for whip, mow, blow but can be a pain when they ask if you can take those palm fronds/cuttings/whatever with you - try to schedule my cleanup/pruning jobs so I have the tray empty - don't own a trailer but thinking of getting an 8x5 for next season as a backup.

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:32 PM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Ive had the ute and trailer set up and it was a pain in the bum.

Hard to find parking and couldn't fit a great deal of material for landscaping jobs.

Most of my work is commercial gigs so mostly ride on work and heaps of hedging.

I purchased an isuzu trayback truck around 2 years ago and havnt looked back.

I fit my 30 inch ztr and 48 inch ztr on and the same time as well a 2 honda mowers and still have heaps of room for rubbish and green waste.

For the work i do the truck is the go.
Posted 29 July 2018 - 01:58 PM

badger
badger

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Business Name:healeys

I have a  hilux ute and 8x5 trailer

parking is a pain with a  trailer

90% with the ute atm

Posted 29 July 2018 - 02:36 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Light all the way,  SP mower, trimmer, blower, pole hedge trimmer, backpack sprayer is all the tools I carry,  Renault Trafic Van.  Shelves hold all the consumables, batteries, fuel etc.  So much nicer not hauling a trailer.

For the very rare large cleanup job I do I just hire a trailer for about $40 half day, maybe twice a year tops. 

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:54 PM

tomfreeman
tomfreeman

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Business Name:Toms Lawn Mowing

I run a 7x5 Trailer with a 600mm cage.

Fits my 34 inch ztr, Honda 21' SP, Honda 19' (for the jobs that need lifting), 2 x snippers, 2 x rakes, blower and hedger

Nothing goes in the Prado 

Posted 30 July 2018 - 07:46 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

I run a 7x5 Trailer with a 600mm cage.

Fits my 34 inch ztr, Honda 21' SP, Honda 19' (for the jobs that need lifting), 2 x snippers, 2 x rakes, blower and hedger

Nothing goes in the Prado 

same as me, but l have a ute

Posted 30 July 2018 - 09:55 PM

Ply313
Ply313

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Light mostly in the XG Ford ute, got 8x5 and 10x5 trailers when needed for the ztr and green hauling etc. As many have said parking is a nightmare sometimes with trailers. I've seen Jim's guys push mowers and carry gear half a block because he couldn't get near his job with the rig..
Posted 30 July 2018 - 10:56 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Fairly heavy. I got sick of checking what i needed for the day. 7.5 x 8 trailor with two SP mowers. One day in the cycle also load up the "####ter" push mower.  Milk crate with fuels.

Van has whipper, blower, pole trimmer, Atom edger, chainsaw, hedge trimmer, pole saw, loppers, shears, step ladder, etc. Then a box of tools and a box of spare parts, large roll of line, etc, etc.

I don't have to worry about traffic or parking problems and nothing gets unpacked at the end of the day except what's on the trailer.

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:08 PM

aumegm
aumegm

• Lawn Club Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Business Name:Mat's Mowing

New to the game but going heavy soon with a 10x6 trailer with ramp. I've got a great 7x4 ex-hire cage trailer now but I'm over having to unload items for bigger jobs, would rather par####ion a larger trailer and keep everything where it is. Only have the 1 car (7 seat Territory) which is too impractical for tools. My pipedream setup would be a Mitsubishi Canter Tipper for green waste with an 8x5 trailer for tools OR a ute for tools and an 8x5 trailer for green waste only. 

Posted 31 July 2018 - 09:49 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

Heavy I guess, usual mowing type trailer  - SP mower and every tool I use. Back of the Navara is kept simple with a very light push mower and atom edger and a couple of large leaf bags. I never unpack anything at the end of the day except the rare bag of lawn clippings which will go in my compost, the garden or in the green wheelie bin. May swap the Bushranger SP with the Mulchmaster here and there.

I rarely have major parking issues, yeah you pick your lunch places etc. But its not the end of the world to walk from a couple of houses down with your gear. I always weigh up parking when I quote a job and have knocked back a couple that were near impossible to get a good park. Otherwise its just a matter of knowing what time to go to certain jobs. 

Posted 01 August 2018 - 02:42 PM

Grae
Grae

testing where this goes

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Vic

^ agree with Colsy…

depending on the round

although my trailers are hot dip galvanised and mesh caged not green sheet (I went through a few rot boxes in the earlier years)

Posted 01 August 2018 - 03:22 PM

read between the lines, if he seems drunk, he possibly is

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

Same i pick my days and times for certain jobs.

I avoid bin days and school times drop off and pick up times for some of the resi jobs we do or it can become a real pain.
Posted 01 August 2018 - 05:23 PM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Middle weight now.
Used to be a heavy weight but a mate made a huge tool box for the back of the truck which enabled me to drop the trailer. Now I can carry everything I need & still have 4m3 for green waste. Obviously I can also hook up a trailer if I need.
In Melb with the traffic getting to stupid levels, cab over trucks make a lot of sense to me.
My Mazda T4000 dual cab tipper is exactly the same length as my BT50, both 5.3m.
Big diff in what they can carry though.
Many years ago it used to take me about 12mins to get to my targeted area, now it takes nearly 20.
Getting a park can be very hard these days so, my suggestion to those who work in heavily built up areas would be, go as small as poss but still being able to carry all you need, & make the best poss use of space.

Cheers Fred.
Posted 16 August 2018 - 09:04 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales