AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:ultimate property services

The New 216 Release

I was at my local Mower shop today and was talking about getting a new 216 ...  I was told there is a new model being released soon and it has higher emission restrictions and no longer has a snorkel because of this...  

the reason he said was , Running the snorkel required bigger jets in the carby...the meet emissions they have had to run smaller jets, hence no snorkel ...

he also said Honda are trying to have a aftermarket snorkel kit...  

I might try to grab an older model or even a Chonda 216

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:38 PM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

The New 216 Release

Interesting - I wonder how much bigger the jets really need to be - depends on whether you're going to put a filter in the snorkel I guess - I fitted an aftermarket one to my 217 and really couldn't detect any difference in the motor with the standard jets in - even when I ran a Victa long filter up top and the Honda element down at the carby - sparkplug looked fine and no evidence of lean running (I'm not a mechanic tho) - don't do that any more as I've found just getting the intake up a couple of feet works fine - wouldn't be interested in any mower now that didn't offer a snorkel in our new normal dustbowl weather conditions.

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:46 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

The New 216 Release

Interesting - I wonder how much bigger the jets really need to be - depends on whether you're going to put a filter in the snorkel I guess - I fitted an aftermarket one to my 217 and really couldn't detect any difference in the motor with the standard jets in - even when I ran a Victa long filter up top and the Honda element down at the carby - sparkplug looked fine and no evidence of lean running (I'm not a mechanic tho) - don't do that any more as I've found just getting the intake up a couple of feet works fine - wouldn't be interested in any mower now that didn't offer a snorkel in our new normal dustbowl weather conditions.

I asked about this...The mechanic said that the snorkel affects the power output ! and it needs bigger jets to cope

One of the reasons I want the Honda rather than the "chonda" is the snorkel kit....its soo dusty around here is western Sydney ..I blow my filter once a week and it full !!

Posted 23 August 2018 - 06:53 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

The New 216 Release

Sounds like the emissions thing is an excuse for the changers. If it smells like bull#### it probably is.

Posted 24 August 2018 - 07:58 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

The New 216 Release

I’m not sure I agree with the dealer Ando, jetting size will have absolutely no effect on emissions. If they don’t bring out a snorkle it would just be a money saving thing. You could still fit a snorkle easily with no jetting changes needed.
Posted 24 August 2018 - 08:17 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

The New 216 Release

If you're not running a filter in it I would have thought a snorkel would be just like a carby ram tube from days gone by and would have no influence on mixture.

Posted 24 August 2018 - 09:04 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts
  • LocationDarwin

The New 216 Release

Think i,ll have to agree with John. Money money money must be funny in the rich mans world.

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:23 AM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

The New 216 Release

I’m not sure I agree with the dealer Ando, jetting size will have absolutely no effect on emissions. If they don’t bring out a snorkle it would just be a money saving thing. You could still fit a snorkle easily with no jetting changes needed.

I disagree...Larger jets means more fuel being used ...more fuel being used means more emissions..

I also agree with the mechanic I spoke to about needing larger jets when using the snorkel...  the further the point of air , the harder the carby has to work to get it.. 

whats the limit on snorkel tube length before you need to upside your jets ?

the mechanic i was talking to has 15 years experience in the biz and has no reason to make up stories with me ..I get lots of freebies with this shop

I am disappointed that I would buy a new mower...then be up for another $100 bucks for a snorkel kit 

Posted 24 August 2018 - 10:54 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

The New 216 Release

Hey mate You can trust your mechanic if you feel comfortable, I’m a qualified mechanic with 30 years experience. What I’m suggesting is correct. I’ll let you make your own decisions regarding jetting and air/fuel ratios.
Cheers
Posted 25 August 2018 - 05:13 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

The New 216 Release

I disagree...Larger jets means more fuel being used ...more fuel being used means more emissions..

I also agree with the mechanic I spoke to about needing larger jets when using the snorkel...  the further the point of air , the harder the carby has to work to get it.. 

whats the limit on snorkel tube length before you need to upside your jets ?

the mechanic i was talking to has 15 years experience in the biz and has no reason to make up stories with me ..I get lots of freebies with this shop

I am disappointed that I would buy a new mower...then be up for another $100 bucks for a snorkel kit 

More air means more fuel. Not less air means more fuel. These carbies are so small a large diameter tube wont effect the air flow in the port in my opinion, (I'm not a grease monkey). If your going to restrict the airflow by adding another densish filter then a re tune might be advisable. 

Mower engines are not tuned to 95% like race engines are, They have to deal with lots of variables everyday and are tuned as such so they operate well in all conditions all year.

The 216PDU doesn't have a snorkel. Might be to be more appealing to the cashed up home owner, certainly appeals to me as I don't have the dust problems some of you guys and gals have.

Posted 25 August 2018 - 08:09 AM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

The New 216 Release

I'm just passing on information passed on to me from a guy who owns his own shop and has been a mechanic for 15 years....sounds like he is giving me bad advice then .... I just mow lawns ..                                               

Posted 25 August 2018 - 01:31 PM

badger
badger

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Business Name:healeys

The New 216 Release

it might be the america 216 ? you tube

Posted 26 August 2018 - 07:47 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts
  • LocationDarwin

The New 216 Release

I dont think any Yankee Honda mowers run a snorkel as std.

https://powerequipme...ies-lawn-mowers

Posted 26 August 2018 - 09:34 AM

sandgroper
sandgroper

Lawn Club Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationPerth Western Australia
  • Business Name:Seville mowing

The New 216 Release

Well I just brought a new 216 paid the same price as the one I brought 2 years ago at least that hasn’t changed lol
Posted 28 August 2018 - 06:40 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts
  • LocationDarwin

The New 216 Release

Honda,s Facebook page isnt giving anything away but hinting at wider discharge.

Posted 29 August 2018 - 02:04 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

The New 216 Release

Honda,s Facebook page isnt giving anything away but hinting at wider discharge.

About time, the discharge set up is stupid.

Posted 30 August 2018 - 07:49 AM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

The New 216 Release

Ive been asking around about the jetting sizes I said were the reason for the emissions and snorkel ...most mechanics I have asked agree with you guys... 

You can pre order the new 216 this week (3/9/18)   

I got a brochure and looking at the specs...the brocher claims it does have a snorkel but also a fixed flat blade....  the flat blade is totally not true...  it a swing back style for sure... 

I want to see one before I buy one..   My cash cannon is loaded and ready to fire.. 

Posted 02 September 2018 - 11:26 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

The New 216 Release

I googled this Ando - pretty low key launch if it's a major model revamp- couldn't find anything new on Google - I'd be interested myself if they have widened the chute to get it to catch better - my 217 is due for replacement next summer

Posted 02 September 2018 - 07:47 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts
  • LocationDarwin

The New 216 Release

Honda FB page tells you nothing other than they have a new Buffalo.

Posted 02 September 2018 - 08:05 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

The New 216 Release

Ok...My As research continues...Years ago the old 215? offered a snorkel kit as an upgrade...in this kit there was larger jets, to suit the snorkel...  So i have been told..  lol

I can confirm that the new 216 will have no snorkel because of it needs to meet emission targets..   it is not sure if a snorkel kit will be offered as an upgrade at this point.

I have been offered a brand new  216 (current model with snorkel)  for $1450  ...I'm thinking about jumping on it

What do you think ? :D

Posted 03 September 2018 - 12:40 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales