AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:ultimate property services

Fuel Octane ...

I was at my local Mower shop today , Buying a new fuel cap for my whipper....  and the conversation got to fuel.....  I said to him that I always run 95 octane , But at the moment I had 98 in the tanks..  (its all I could buy)..

He told me the higher the octane fuel used the hotter your machine will run...which I suppose makes sense..  and shorten the life of the machine !

He said never run 98 octane if you can help it....it just runs too hot !! 

I was surprised to hear him say...the best fuel to sure is just normal 91 octane ..he also said that all machines are designed to run on 91 octane ...and they will run cooler...

I asked about ethanol fuel...because most 91 these days is ethanol...he said its not a problem as long as the machine gets used regularly...its only a problem with machines that sit for long periods of time ....  

I'm sure guys have an opinion about this :D  

Posted 11 September 2018 - 07:59 PM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Fuel Octane ...

they are designed to run on 91....does my head in that people use higher octane in small engines

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:25 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Fuel Octane ...

Yep I run 91 in all my gear - different in my car as, on the advice of my mechanic, I put 98 if it's not exorbitant or 95 otherwise - it's not about the octane rating, he says the cleaners? in 98 prevent gum buildup, injector fouling etc - who knows - it's a bit like why does fuel cost $1.50 on Friday and then $1.30 on the following Monday - you get the feeling you're being reamed out but can't prove anything.

Posted 11 September 2018 - 08:37 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula

Fuel Octane ...

Holden Greys don't need 98 either

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:57 PM

insert witty saying here "________________"

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Fuel Octane ...

I thought I was doing a good thing by running 95 in my machines.....  I'll be getting plain old 91 next fill up !

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:08 PM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Fuel Octane ...

I have been running 98 in all my gear including my old ute for 4 years, It works out I use less fuel and it worked out cheaper to use,   It is a cleaner agents and more complete burning of fuel.  The ute has more power and so do all the machines.  no trouble with hot starts on hot days.

I havent needed to cleaned a carbie or exhaust in that time,  I also went to OPTI 2 oil at the same time wich is super clean at 100:1 and i run that in all my gear.

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:42 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Fuel Octane ...

I think it was Lucky who found his Honda ran better on 98. Beats me why anyone would want to put ethanol in their gear.

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:12 AM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

Fuel Octane ...

sorry .....but its a furphy, makes no difference and probably shortens their life

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:46 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Fuel Octane ...

I think it was Lucky who found his Honda ran better on 98. Beats me why anyone would want to put ethanol in their gear.

Yep, my Honda 217 did run better on 98.  The other machines didn't run any different.

I run everything on 91. 

Unless the motor is high compression 91 is fine. I used to run my track bike on 100.

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:04 PM

scorpNZ
scorpNZ

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNZ
  • Business Name:CDL

Fuel Octane ...

Small motors these days are designed for low octane as are vehicles unless specified by the manufacturer.Octane is used for high compression motors to stop pinging aka pre detonation/ignition. Those old belmonts you ozzies love need high octane

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:37 AM

bakes
bakes

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationSafety Bay, Western Australia
  • Business Name:Rockingham Mobile Mowing

Fuel Octane ...

Pretty sure 95 will be the norm eventually, talk is 91 will be gone soon.

I use 91 in all my gear, twice a year I mix 20ml of Castrol Racing R in my 2 stroke fuel and that cleans them out pretty bloody good and they always run alot better, and have a sweet smell.

Posted 13 September 2018 - 09:12 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Fuel Octane ...

We never had different octanes when I worked in the service side of the industry. I only ever run 91 now but recently after needing some help to tune my enduro bike the mechanic told me running 98 in a small engine made them run lean. I guess it’s a cleaner burn but the difference would be so insignificant. The race I did last weekend many were adding Naphthalene flakes (Moth Balls) to increase the octane more lol. I just stick to 91 without a problem, as for ethanol enhanced fuel I don’t touch it.
Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:19 PM

scorpNZ
scorpNZ

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNZ

Fuel Octane ...

Fuel i.e petrol is all the same & burns at the same temp regardless if 91 or not. Lean running motor would tell me carb adjustment is required or larger jets. It is possible to get slightly better gas mileage with higher octane however the cost vs the benefits is not worth it as high octane is only required for high comp motors or forced induction & some older vehicles may need an additive for the valves & seats (lead used to be used in fuel for lube of those parts, hence the Belmont comment earlier lol) .Which makes me wonder what they've done to the bike engines to require additives, i assume those bikes are 4 stroke. Perhaps some playing with ports & combustion chamber. That's cheating lol .

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:41 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Fuel Octane ...

Fuel i.e petrol is all the same & burns at the same temp regardless if 91 or not. Lean running motor would tell me carb adjustment is required or larger jets. It is possible to get slightly better gas mileage with higher octane however the cost vs the benefits is not worth it as high octane is only required for high comp motors or forced induction & some older vehicles may need an additive for the valves & seats (lead used to be used in fuel for lube of those parts, hence the Belmont comment earlier lol) .Which makes me wonder what they've done to the bike engines to require additives, i assume those bikes are 4 stroke. Perhaps some playing with ports & combustion chamber. That's cheating lol .

Majority of Sport bikes 98 is the factory recommended. RF100 octane is the norm for dedicated track bikes, not sure on race rules anymore but it also used to be the norm for race bikes. It was available in 20litre drums.

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:50 AM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Fuel Octane ...

now....in my never ending thirst for knowledge ...I go to another mower shop....  to take my Stihl BR 600 blower..  ( if you read my thread about "hard to find a good mechanic"  well...  this was serviced by a Stihl  shop....and it came back useless.....bad idle..up and down...etc...

Anywayzzzzz

I asked him about fuel...This guy has been in business for over 40 years...and old guy  ..  I said I am just going up to buy some 91 unleaded fuel ...  because I told him the higher the octane fuel...the hotter your machine will run ....he laughed at me and shock his head saying no..  

I went be bought some ethanol free 91 and I will be running that ....lol

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:27 PM

scorpNZ
scorpNZ

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNZ

Fuel Octane ...

Doesn't matter how long somebody has been in the game .Doesn't mean they're always right nor should any boast of said time in the game be taken notice of as if they're an authority due to said time.The info is either right or it's wrong. ps: i realize he more than likely didn't actually say the time in the trade & it is you that knows how long he has been & mentioned it .I don't want what i say taken out of context nor taking a particular tone due to this being a forum & it can go sideways at times because it's a forum.A post i did a few weeks ago went south when i replied to Macka & a certain tone was placed on what i wrote lol from there it went south

Posted 15 September 2018 - 05:47 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Fuel Octane ...

you know what guys...I try to ask as many questions as I can....I take it all away and form my own opinion...

Since I have been running 98 in my equipment this week... I believe i can feel my whipper running hotter... 

I'm on 91 next week

Doesn't matter how long somebody has been in the game .Doesn't mean they're always right nor should any boast of said time in the game be taken notice of as if they're an authority due to said time.The info is either right or it's wrong. ps: i realize he more than likely didn't actually say the time in the trade & it is you that knows how long he has been & mentioned it .I don't want what i say taken out of context nor taking a particular tone due to this being a forum & it can go sideways at times because it's a forum.A post i did a few weeks ago went south when i replied to Macka & a certain tone was placed on what i wrote lol from there it went south

Forums can be like that.....its hard to get the feel of the conversation from texting...  what I say light-hardheartedly can be totally misunderstood by someone else....     I'm the first to fly off the handle about nothing ..lol :D :D

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:47 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales