AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:ultimate property services

Turn Up Ur Revs

Now I know there is other threads about this and I have done it to my old 196.. 

I have been following this guy on Youtube and he has some good info about all sorts of stuff...  well worth a watch on a Friday night with a beer ..

Posted 11 September 2018 - 10:37 PM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Turn Up Ur Revs

Not sure I'd want to be bending the governor arm too many times.  It's safer/easier just to move the spring into the 2nd hole, adds about 250-300 rpm.

Posted 12 September 2018 - 01:48 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Turn Up Ur Revs

Agree with plucka. Just move the spring.

Posted 12 September 2018 - 02:55 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Turn Up Ur Revs

Or bend the spring shorter 

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:23 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Turn Up Ur Revs

Reminds me of John22's comments on revs and engine damage with the GCV series engines - I've put my spring (HRX217) on the second hole but with winter growth I rarely use full revs - different situation with the GXV I'd imagine.

Posted 12 September 2018 - 03:49 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:ultimate property services

Turn Up Ur Revs

your prolly right guys...I agree....  But check out his other vids...he has some good stuff 

Posted 12 September 2018 - 07:25 PM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Turn Up Ur Revs

The GCV won’t take it if you rev it excessively, the second hole is fine. It’s of poor design compared to it’s sibling but treated properly seems to last. Here is the pic I posted ages ago where the cam pulley failed due to over revving and destroyed the engine.

Attached Files

Posted 14 September 2018 - 08:07 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Turn Up Ur Revs

The GCV won’t take it if you rev it excessively, the second hole is fine. It’s of poor design compared to it’s sibling but treated properly seems to last. Here is the pic I posted ages ago where the cam pulley failed due to over revving and destroyed the engine.

Can you point me to an engine that wont destroy itself if over revved? I know you don't seem to like the GCV engines but they are a Honda and seem to be very reliable, even for me and as we all know I don't change oil and filters and such as often as most of you. I'm lucky to change oil every 12 months..

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:12 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Turn Up Ur Revs

I don’t dislike the engine and as you say anything will blow apart if over revved . Arfa never had any trouble and he put huge hours on his, I don’t think it needs big revs anyway it does the job fine.
Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:07 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Turn Up Ur Revs

Arfa never had any trouble and he put huge hours on his, I don’t think it needs big revs anyway it does the job fine.

Depends on what you point it at  ;)

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:35 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Turn Up Ur Revs

Can you point me to an engine that wont destroy itself if over revved? I know you don't seem to like the GCV engines but they are a Honda and seem to be very reliable, even for me and as we all know I don't change oil and filters and such as often as most of you. I'm lucky to change oil every 12 months..

Honda GXV160 seem to take it, i have 3 set to 3600 while under load,   the HRU216M2 is  6 years old and done about 4000 hrs.. oil changes are need to be regular at higher revs. 

I helped another guy tun his HRX217  GCV190 up to 3600rpm it made the thing fly, completely different,  2 years and its still good and not blowing smoke.

I supose if you can turn the revs up and its 20% faster thats more money you make per hour and frees up time for a extra jobs

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:38 AM

Fred
Fred

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • LocationBayside Melb

Turn Up Ur Revs

It intrigues me a little why ppl want to up the revs.
I suppose every now & again when you come across an overgrown lawn it helps to have that extra power but if thats happening too often, time to get a more powerful mower.
Its kinda like getting a kwaka 750 & boring it out to 810, why not get the 900 in the first place ?   :D

Honda obviously realise that more power can be extracted but consider that the factory setting to be the right compromise for the masses, a balance between power, reliability & longevity.

My view is that if its not a lawn, don't mow it with a lawn mower.

Don't mean to sound condescending, sometimes I abuse my gear too.   :(

Cheers Fred

Just an after thought, suppose if you up the revs, its just another option.

Its your decision if you want to run it flat out or not.

Posted 15 September 2018 - 10:48 AM

Macka
Macka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Turn Up Ur Revs

It intrigues me a little why ppl want to up the revs.

with a Self proppelled mower the ground speed increases with the increase of rev's

So a standard HRU216 is set at 2800rpm,   changing the revs to 3600rpm  is a 30% increase in ground speed so you mowing 30% faster. 5.00 km/h  to 6.5 km/h 

the catcher is packed tighter so less empting and the deck and chut dont block.

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:35 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales