6 replies to this topic
Alex
Alex

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSydney

Mower Recommendations To Suit Criteria

Gents, I'm after a mower to suit the following criteria. I need some recommendations.

I mainly do gardens so it doesn't need to run all day, everyday, but does need to be reliable.

My current mowers:

Victa LawnKeeper - Lightweight 18" Home owner model for going up stairs/tight areas.

Honda HRU196 L/R

Victa Mulchmaster with Victa VEX60 (Self Propelled)

I'm looking for a mower that fits the following criteria:

- Folding handle (Quick and Easy like the victa handles, willing to modify the honda handles)

- Relatively Lightweight

- Both catching and mulching capabilities

- Self propelled

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:19 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

https://www.victa.co...fpropelled.html

Posted 22 September 2018 - 05:36 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Posted 25 September 2018 - 05:56 PM

dean11
dean11

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Hi Alex,

You are like all of us, wishing for mower heaven. You forgot to mention that the ideal mower would have an air-conditioning unit that bathed the operator in a cool breeze on a 30+ day..

Taking one thing at a time, handles that are hard or slow to fold down are a great problem. I use Honda HRU216's because they are so boring and reliable, but they have many faults, including the handles. Victa used to have, maybe still do, cam-like levers at each side that locked the handles in the extended position very quickly. The problem with that is that the plastic cam surface wears and soon you have to tighten the nut. Then after some episodes of tightening, the nut gets loose on the thread, and begins to loosen itself. So you have to tighten it more and more often. Honda's answer is to have big knurled nuts that you tighten directly onto a threaded stud to force the upper and lower handles together. The problem is that it takes a lot of time to release or tighten these nuts each time. (Not to mention that sometimes they work loose, fall unnoticed, get run over and destroyed by the mower.) I eventually worked out a way of securing the mower on the trailer without folding the handles, saving time.

So there's lots of scope for wannabe engineers to improve mower handles.

Another thing that would be nice - if the handlebar was one sided, a single super-strong bar down one side, allowing us to remove/replace the catcher without anything in the road.

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:35 PM

Alex
Alex

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationSydney

I'm going with the 19" Victa Vanguard SP. It's the most suitable for what I need it for.
Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:18 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

This is what l do when the victa cam-locks get sloppy.....took a while to search it out lol

Attached File  Capture.PNG   419.02KB   1 downloads

works like a charm p.s. its upside down in the photo, so it slides down not up

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:30 PM

scorpNZ
scorpNZ

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • LocationNZ
  • Business Name:CDL

Problem with cams (apart from getting the spread thing happening) or screw type is they tend to apply pressure that's centered which in turn curls the end of the upper handle. You can alleviate this nonsense by using victa lower handle braces ? the curved thing that holds the victa lower handle to the base (the thick one like on the old ally base victa's) it my require a longer bolt allowing you to spread the load (the handle locks of the old masport premiers are i deal for this to replace the bolt & as they're like a long wing nut except the wings run parallel with the handles) .

1st url to img of premier wing nut. Close up makes it appear farther out than it is

http://tinypic.com/u...xc#.W71kkJJSq9I

2nd url is the victa clamps

http://tinypic.com/u...xc#.W71mzpJSq9I

edit: i don't require folding of handles hence hose clamps in use in 2nd pik. The honda has the wing nut on upper handles & i have yet to put the victa clamps on inner & outer sides with hose clamps,i'm getting old i keep forgetting too

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:43 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales