plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

Ego Battery Degradation

How's everyone's EGO batteries holding up?

I got 3 batteries almost 2 years ago, used only in 1 tool, the line trimmer.  I estimate about 50 hours of run time on each battery or about 100-150 charge cycles.

Original batteries have degraded and seeing various issues-

- Run time is only about 1/3 to 1/2 of what they were new.

- Seem to discharge by themselves quite often, if not used for a couple of days charge will be very low or completely flat again

- 1 battery completely died and failed to charge after about 12 months, replaced under warranty, then died again about 12 months later, replaced again.

So I have 1 new battery which has been replaced twice and two older ones which are now almost useless.  Considering only about 100-150 charge cycles it's not great.  Something to consider especially if you are running the mower a lot or multiple EGO tools I can see the need for the batteries to be replaced often.   Think their  battery warranty is 2 years, no idea if this covers normal degradation during this time or what the warranty is for commercial, but must also consider the painful EGO warranty process.

Posted 07 November 2018 - 11:26 AM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula

Ego Battery Degradation

http://lawnclub.com....-power/?p=17614

direct link to the above quoted live updated page

https://batteryunive...ttery_knowledge

Posted 07 November 2018 - 05:31 PM

insert witty saying here "________________"

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Ego Battery Degradation

Do you run them flat? Lithium’s are best recharged as soon as you feel them start to drop off. Going dead flat is bad for them
That said I don’t think I’ll be investing further into ego products.
Posted 07 November 2018 - 06:46 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Ego Battery Degradation

Do you run them flat? Lithium’s are best recharged as soon as you feel them start to drop off. Going dead flat is bad for them
That said I don’t think I’ll be investing further into ego products.

Yeah I run them flat, supposedly EGO batteries though don't go 100% flat though to avoid this issue, when they are "dead" they still retain a bit of charge.  They also automatically discharge after 30 days of non use, problem is my old ones seem to do this after just a day or 2 of non use.

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:49 AM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Ego Battery Degradation

My ego gear is fairly new and still working fine, but speaking from using gear from Bosch hilti de Walt etc in the past, it’s best to keep them above 70%, easy if you can charge while you work but if not it’s a bit harder. When we used them in drills, as soon as the battery felt like it wasn’t full we swapped it out, they top up pretty quick and good to go again. If you flatten them they take ages to charge as well.
Batteries only save weight and noise, definitely not money.

Sounds to me your battery is cactus.
Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:50 AM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Ego Battery Degradation

Ego claim 1000 recharges and warranty (non commercial) 3 years, think it,s 1 year for anything commercial but havnt seen their definition of commercial.

i doubt if you could call it commercial use if your doing 1 small lawn a fortnight and your own place.

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:47 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Ego Battery Degradation

Do you have a link to this 1000 recharge cycle claim?
Posted 08 November 2018 - 12:28 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,094 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Ego Battery Degradation

EGO Power Plus  
· a month ago  

The life of all batteries is based on charging cycles. So typically our batteries will get around a 1000 cycles before losing capacity significantly.

Thats from the Q. page on the plastic deck sp mower, you,ll need to look at reviews and scroll down

https://egopowerplus...lled-lawn-mower

Posted 08 November 2018 - 03:07 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Ego Battery Degradation

EGO Speaking #### I reckon, 1000 cycles my arse.  Like I said I've done maybe 150 cycles at most and they are less than 50% of what they were new.

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:32 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Ego Battery Degradation

Almost impossible to make a case unfortunately I reckon - unless the battery logs charge cycles - and then with Lithium the recommendation is to topup charge regularly rather than full discharge before charging so how many real "cycles" has it done - lawyers playground

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:34 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales