Mowbuddy
Mowbuddy

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts
  • Business Name:Mowbuddy

I'm New To The Industry

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the industry and thought to myself "why don't i join the lawn club!" for advice, feedback etc.

I'm a little bit different, because I'm not an expert gardener or horticulturist, i'm actually a web/app designer. I started www.mowbuddy.com.au to make booking a lawn mowing job easier for customers and to eventually make organising jobs/payments easier for the mowing pro.

I am pretty good in the garden but figured some tips and tricks would most benefit me as i will most likely need to get out there and do some work if needed to support our mowing partners. So i warn and prepare you of some potential newbie questions from me!

So there's my introduction! I hope to gather valuable insight from fellow members!

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:21 AM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

I'm New To The Industry

You need an app for the contractors to book the customer
If the customer is controlling the contractor the contractor goes broke.

The end

Good luck
Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:36 AM

scorpNZ
scorpNZ

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationNZ
  • Business Name:CDL

I'm New To The Industry

The obvious question is who pays for this service & how

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:48 AM

Smokey
Smokey

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

I'm New To The Industry

You need an app for the contractors to book the customer
If the customer is controlling the contractor the contractor goes broke.
The end
Good luck

Yep my exact thoughts hit the nail on the head
Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:04 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula

I'm New To The Industry

My two bobs worth (2/-)

It's difficult enough finding common ground when it is just between the client and the contractor.

The idea of a middle man (the world could do with less of them, not more) making Chinese whispers…

I'll opt out

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:43 PM

insert witty saying here "________________"

Mowbuddy
Mowbuddy

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

I'm New To The Industry

Yes this definitely won't be without it's challenges!

Thanks for your responses. We definitely want to make sure this works for the contractor so it's good to know your thoughts about it!

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:21 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

I'm New To The Industry

heres the long answer, for my effort you can cut me in for 1% of your profit or a 6 pack whichever is greater

Is the app for any customer to find any mowing service, or my customers to book me. My customers dont want any lawn service to come to their house and provide a err, variable level of service.

this is a customer service job,, its much easier if your pretty good with people, talking about what they need, how you work and what you can do for them. i cant imagine telling people they need an app instead of just putting my name in their phone and sending a message or calling, im sure heaps of them dont even know my business name.

my 4 days of residential has about 30 jobs (busy right now) mostly lawns, some 1/2 days etc. over 25 of these are repeats booked by me, this direction monday, that direction thursday, 6 in one street friday. Lunchtime at home or close to facilities. Green waste jobs together to fill the trailer.

the other 5? things like;

the real estate, can you chop down a tree for me? when can you do it?

the answer partly depends on when i need an empty trailer for landscape material or a ride on

new customer, can you mow my lawn

where are you?

_ _ _ _ _

is it ok or a jungle

ill be nearby on thursday, i can meet you at about 8 or 11, if its quick i can do it at the same time,

New customer, can you mow my lawn?

Where are you 

_ _ __ _ _

Nah, i dont mow there, good luck

A list customer,

im having a party can you give it a quick trim in the next couple of days

Sure, ill make it work somehow 

Then when youre not flat chat, you book up your work around the dodgy weather day, unless youre going fishing. then you book around the best weather and tides.

Then the mrs says can you take the kids to school or have lunch on this day, 

you work hard for every dollar in this game, you can work really hard and not make money too. thats the difference between being busy and being productive.

Thats some of what the app needs be able to adapt to, a phone calendar and a bit of a routine with some flexibility works for me

about that 6 pack

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:10 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

I'm New To The Industry

Not another mowing app/website.  Seeing many of these now, yet to see one that makes any sense to use from the contractors perspective.   Your website mentions instant quoting?  How do you do this, because I can tell you it's impossible to quote properly without visiting the property in person.   

Posted 11 November 2018 - 06:22 AM

biggles
biggles

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBrisbane northside

I'm New To The Industry

Not another mowing app/website.  Seeing many of these now, yet to see one that makes any sense to use from the contractors perspective.   Your website mentions instant quoting?  How do you do this, because I can tell you it's impossible to quote properly without visiting the property in person.

No doubt another flash algorithm used to calculate a fee. There are too many unknown variables that makes these useless

You know things were quite simple prior to the internet. Word of mouth, phoning up someone and having a conversation (lost art).
Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:52 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

I'm New To The Industry

The concern is these type of solutions seem to appeal to people of the smartphone generation - arms length, no personal involvement, all arranged digitally and then Paypal the payment - no personal connection or old style business relationship - I've had several regular clients now who I've never met -

the most common first contact I have with a prospective client now is a text saying "How much do you charge and when can you come?" - very few are interested in waiting for me to come round and quote - they'll text a few people and the neatest correct text back within an hour or so seems to win the job - maybe I should just get with the times and say "$85 and I can be there this arvo" - If I rock up there and it's a bad deal I can either up the price or walk away - food for thought.

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:19 AM

biggles
biggles

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationBrisbane northside

I'm New To The Industry

the most common first contact I have with a prospective client now is a text saying "How much do you charge and when can you come?" - very few are interested in waiting for me to come round and quote -

The uber of lawn mowing. Fixed fee
Posted 11 November 2018 - 05:25 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

I'm New To The Industry

Yes this definitely won't be without it's challenges!

Thanks for your responses. We definitely want to make sure this works for the contractor so it's good to know your thoughts about it!

As has been mentioned there are a few of these sites about. Not one I'm aware of that a good contractor would use.

A few simple reasons for this. We need to control the client for the best job possible this usually involves mow frequency and grass height. Cost. A successful contractor has to control the pricing structure other wise they work for sweet bugger and grow broke which does not help the client who wonders were there mower man went who use to charge $2:10 to do their lawn. They then get upset when a professional rocks up and quotes a proper fair price and mow frequency.  Clients need to be conditioned to know that they cannot expect a mow or any work for that matter without booking the job in. They are not our only customer after all.

Posted 11 November 2018 - 05:33 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

I'm New To The Industry

the most common first contact I have with a prospective client now is a text saying "How much do you charge and when can you come?" - very few are interested in waiting for me to come round and quote -

The uber of lawn mowing. Fixed fee

"Depends on the lawn, I can come and do a quote at ?. That sound OK?"

Posted 11 November 2018 - 05:38 PM

Mowbuddy
Mowbuddy

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

I'm New To The Industry

Wow lots of feedback which is great to see, and valuable, so thank you.

One of our values is to put the user first. The user is not only the customer, it is absolutely also the contractor/partner. So it's good to see that one of the most important elements here is keeping the contractor in control. This is why we are focusing on that part of the model more at this present moment.

How do we get an instant quote? there are ways. But it doesn't work for all properties, shapes and sizes. So this means we can only give a quote on the properties that will work within our algorithm. The rest needs a quote upon visiting the site. The partner also has the right to adjust original quote if it was deemed unreasonable upon visit.

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:17 PM

Grae
Grae

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula

I'm New To The Industry

One of our values is to put the user first. The user is not only the customer, it is absolutely also the contractor/partner. So it's good to see that one of the most important elements here is keeping the contractor in control. This is why we are focusing on that part of the model more at this present moment.

How do we get an instant quote? there are ways. But it doesn't work for all properties, shapes and sizes. So this means we can only give a quote on the properties that will work within our algorithm. The rest needs a quote upon visiting the site. The partner also has the right to adjust original quote if it was deemed unreasonable upon visit.

If you could help some of us out, it'd make it easier for everyone to do the math.

1. App Developers (You) expected profit of x%

2. Contractors doing the work/travelling the miles/km's and all the rest of costs, machine service etc…

3.How the money changes hand system.

Clarification makes you look good and your readers feel comfortable.

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:48 PM

insert witty saying here "________________"

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,964 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

I'm New To The Industry

But if they adjust the quote and the client say's no (or isn't even home and cannot be contacted) who then pays for the wasted time?

I do some work for an agency. if I turn up to do a job and the client isn't home and I leave. I still get paid. If your on a wage then wasting time is part of the job, when you work for yourself wasted time is dead time, its even worse its dead time that you could of been earning a $.

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:50 PM

Mowbuddy
Mowbuddy

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

I'm New To The Industry

1. App Developers (You) expected profit of x%

2. Contractors doing the work/travelling the miles/km's and all the rest of costs, machine service etc…

3.How the money changes hand system.

Thanks Grae, without getting into too much detail on a public forum.

Yes of course there is a % that we take from each job which we discuss with future partners in person.

We are zoning our partners so they don't have to travel too far. They don't work for us full time (they are sub-contractors), they have their own clientele too and can choose to do as many or as little days as they want for us.

Payment is done electronically only.

This system will not suit everyone (customer and/or partner), and we are fine with that.

Anyway enough about us.. I'm actually keen on learning about battery powered equipment. I wonder if there is anyone here who uses it for their business? or is it just not suitable yet? Quite keen on where the technology is at. (there is probably another thread on this topic?)

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:02 PM

Mowbuddy
Mowbuddy

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

I'm New To The Industry

Spot on, still at a very early stage, but as you implied, we are always learning!

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:18 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

I'm New To The Industry

From Internet banking, share trading and everything else you need the strongest of all passwords to get your lawn cut?! PITA
Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:24 PM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

I'm New To The Industry

Bollocks

Posted Yesterday, 06:41 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales