spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

5 Topics In One,+ Battery Hedger Recommendation

so some time back, i planned on going to battery for hedging before my arms got vibrated off.

bought an ego hedger skin on ebay, $100

Autumn;  thought my echo 1500 got pinched out of the ute overnight

bought Ego pole hedger/saw and batteries the next day, sweet im equipped

hedger cuts fairly well, pole saw is pretty solid. pole hedger not bad.

The hedge gear seems slightly gutless but oh well

Late spring, A lady says you left your hedger here a while ago, oh, ok thanks. 5 months of unknown storage, the 2 stroke starts straight up, all good

The Ego  hedger had always struggled a bit, didnt like diosmas, didnt like working hard. the other day really didnt like big tight buxus, kept stalling 

Today, it just stopped. to be truthful its worked pretty hard, i think its just run its non commercial life. 

So this afternoon, fired up the echo 2 stroke hedger, hell noisy thing, smoke in the face and it doesnt cut well, cant go back to that

So which battery gear to get, looked quickly at the husky, if i read right its 4.7 kgs (really?)

interested in the Stihl, they know how to make a hedger, and the battery can go on your belt instead in the tool.

Commercial hedger recomendations please?

Posted 16 November 2018 - 07:47 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,040 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

I use a Stihl combi tool with the hedger attachment. Its not light but you can do a very large hedge surprisingly fast.

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:08 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • LocationJervis Bay NSW

l wish the Pellenc gear was reasonably priced  https://pellenc.com/...rimmer/?lang=en

Posted 16 November 2018 - 08:51 PM

Grae
Grae

testing where this goes

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,941 posts
  • LocationMornington Peninsula, Vic

^

Old saying 

'Good tools aren't expensive, junk tools are cheap'

Posted 16 November 2018 - 09:06 PM

read between the lines, if he seems drunk, he possibly is

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

I have an AEG 58V hedger, have been using it for about 9 mths now and I can't fault it other than the weight, it is heavy. Other than that I have the stihl combi tool, but in general I am moving away from doing hedges, only for regular customers now.

Interestingly I saw our council using Stihl battery hedgers the other day.

Posted 17 November 2018 - 04:40 AM

Trevc
Trevc

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

I use Stihl battery hedger, blower and trimmer.
In 18 mths ive had a crook battery and a problem with the trimmer, both replaced or repaired under warranty within a week.
Would recommend.
Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:05 AM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Inner SW

I don't do a lot of hedging, maybe 2 or 3 a month, I use a cheap Ryobi 18V pole hedger:

https://www.bunnings...n-only_p3380837

It's very light which is the main consideration for me, cheap as chips, cheap batteries, has good reach and does trimming just fine.  Only thing I wish the cutting head was longer but then that would just add to the weight.  Now obviously it has limited cutting strength so it's no good for cutting branches beyond about finger thickness, but for trimming it works fine. I do note Ryobi have a 36v version as well which cuts thicker branches and has more power, but I think I'd rather save the weight.

Now if you're doing lots of hedging I would recommend a bigger machine as it will be faster however for me, for a couple of hedges a month the Ryobi does the job and doesn't kill my arms to use.  I would never bother using a normal hedger, pole trimmer is faster and more versatile.

Posted 17 November 2018 - 09:38 AM

Colsy
Colsy

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts
  • LocationWestern Suburbs, Melbourne

I don't do a lot of hedging, maybe 2 or 3 a month, I use a cheap Ryobi 18V pole hedger:

https://www.bunnings...n-only_p3380837

It's very light which is the main consideration for me, cheap as chips, cheap batteries, has good reach and does trimming just fine.  Only thing I wish the cutting head was longer but then that would just add to the weight.  Now obviously it has limited cutting strength so it's no good for cutting branches beyond about finger thickness, but for trimming it works fine. I do note Ryobi have a 36v version as well which cuts thicker branches and has more power, but I think I'd rather save the weight.

Now if you're doing lots of hedging I would recommend a bigger machine as it will be faster however for me, for a couple of hedges a month the Ryobi does the job and doesn't kill my arms to use.  I would never bother using a normal hedger, pole trimmer is faster and more versatile.

I may check that out as i already have 18V drill, saw, charger etc.

Posted 17 November 2018 - 12:54 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

I'm looking at the Honda 25cc Versatool - my existing UMK425 is getting a bit long in the tooth and I really want a short hedger setup and Ego don't do one. So I'm looking at the power head, short hedger attachment, extension piece, and 2 whipper heads - one to take the Edgit Pro and one to keep as a standard string trimmer/brushcutter.

So this is not a report from someone who owns the gear but I know the quality. It will just be a matter of weight and balance on the short hedger that makes the decision. I'll report if/when I buy.

EDIT: Sorry, I just read the thread ####le referring to battery gear. Still the Honda's pretty quiet gear.

Posted 17 November 2018 - 03:43 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:ultimate property services

I'm surprised the EGO was so gutless.. 

I use a Stihl HS 45 .. and a KM 130 kombi .. plenty of grunt , love them both

Posted 17 November 2018 - 04:14 PM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

The Honda gear weighs a tonne, I have the multi + short hedger + pole and saw. Dreaded putting it in the ute every time.
Cuts beautifully though
Posted 17 November 2018 - 04:42 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

The Honda gear weighs a tonne, I have the multi + short hedger + pole and saw. Dreaded putting it in the ute every time.
Cuts beautifully though

Well thanks SB - that's pretty disappointing - I guess I'm happy with the UMK whipper but because I use a harness - Ego gear ain't light either - the AEG 18V gear is light as and split shaft but they don't sell any accessories here -

will have to check out Stihl, Husqy etc battery as well I guess

Posted 17 November 2018 - 05:41 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,163 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Well thanks SB - that's pretty disappointing - I guess I'm happy with the UMK whipper but because I use a harness - Ego gear ain't light either - the AEG 18V gear is light as and split shaft but they don't sell any accessories here -

Victa dont either but some ryobi  accessories fit as do some other brands from memory

Posted 17 November 2018 - 05:53 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

I use a umk whipper everyday, and with the harness the weight has never bothered me.
The ego stuff must be half the weight or less. An absolute joy in comparison just a bit under done for grunt. Didn’t mind viburnums and murrayas, seemed to stall a bit, more so towards the end.
The higher end battery hedgers seem to be not much lighter than a light 2 stroke
Posted 17 November 2018 - 06:36 PM

AndoTheMando
AndoTheMando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney
  • Business Name:ultimate property services

If i was to buy another hand held hedger..it would be the Stihl commercial model....its very light  and a 2 stroke.

My Stihl HS 45 is heavy duty domestic and rips through anything...  but the commerical model is wayyy lighter....but $200 more spendy...lol   (i think it was around $550)

Posted 17 November 2018 - 07:13 PM

B.L.T.H ....Brake late, Turn hard

Steve35
Steve35

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Hi SB, I can highly recommend the husky commercial gear, been using the hand hedger and the pole hedger for over a year now with no issues. 

Works great with Buxus and everything I use them on.  Doesn't have the brute force of my old Tanaka 210 but it's does what I need and found myself doing the same jobs much quicker, especially the fine dense hedges.

I just weighed it with a 5.2 a/h battery on it and it came in at 4.9kg, a lot lighter than the Tanaka.

A battery should be good for at least 1.5 hours of hedging but I use both the hedger and the pole hedger on most of my big jobs and have never timed how long one will go on its own.

Posted 17 November 2018 - 08:35 PM

Blair B
Blair B

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

I've got the long reach battery Husky hedger and when I have a spare $600 I'll buy the small commercial Husky hedger.

Pros-It's taken time off all my hedging jobs, lighter, minimal vibes, no fumes, cuts a lot thicker stuff than I thought it would, doesn't stall.

Cons-You have to out lay a fair bit for a charger, battery and the skin, not knowing how long these machines last. 

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:23 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Ive bought something, stay tuned
Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:30 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,516 posts

I've googled the Honda Versatool - the 25cc powerhead weighs 2.78KG - Honda have decided quoting the weight of attachments on the official web page is unnecessary  but let's say the short hedger weighs 1.7kg - that puts the tool around 4.5kg which isn't bad compared to compe####ors - I'll put the Ego on the scales tomorrow but I'd guess it's pushing 6kg for the pole hedger - It certainly feels like that in use

the Stihl HLA65 looks like a really nice bit of gear and I lean towards battery gear now but it weighs in at 3.4kg for the skin plus 1.7kg for the AP300 battery for a total of 5.1kg (I could buy 2 x AP200 batteries and save a bit of weight but the cost starts to balloon)

Posted 18 November 2018 - 07:46 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Everything Honda is heavy, bikes, outboards the whole lot is heavier than the compe####ion. Definitely better in a lot of ways, but heavier nonetheless.
the Honda pole extension is about double the weight of the ego pole extension. Honda’s short hedger weighs more than the ego long hedger
On weight they are so far apart it’s not a contest
Posted 18 November 2018 - 08:29 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales