Mattie
Mattie

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • Business Name:Oasis lawns & gardens

How Long Have You Been In The Industry

It be such a long time i forget 33-35 years,flintstone days

Haha love it , yes it was quite different then.
A lot easier now with equipment so much better makes the jobs a lot quicker.
Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:23 AM

Smokey
Smokey

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Locationsydney
  • Business Name:Adam's landscaping & lawn maintenance

I first started when I was 15 and didn't want a McDonalds job ha ha. Been in it 8 years and loving it I'm only a spring chicken most of you guys have been in the game for longer than I've been alive ha ha
Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:35 AM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

I've had 3 spells mowing - 82-87, 2002-2005 and 2015-

biggest advances I've seen have been in my type of work would be petrol blowers and self drive mowers - when I first started there was a Rover Super 4 53cm which had a pair of spring loaded driving dogs that dropped onto the rear wheels - never owned one tho - 25 year old legs - now I wouldn't be without a SP for most jobs - likewise the blower - I don't remember if we used to broom off hard surfaces or not - probably just ran the mower over them as best we could.

Overall I'm enjoying this spell most of all - I do it part time so don't have the pressure of trying to build an empire - and very satisfying to see the finished result after years of trying to look after computers - cash is nice too :)

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:38 AM

TXL
TXL

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Only used self propelled mowers from day one which has carried me the distance

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:11 AM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

my 3rd year in as my only income. Its just started to come together.

Damn..time does get away.. 

Its still just coming together..lol

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:52 PM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 857 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

My story is a little different, I grew up on acreage and got my first job at 14 part time at the local mower shop. Worked part time untill the end of school then did 4 years working on small engines. Ended up downing tools and managing a store looking after sales and spare parts. Worked is a few other management roles and even was a crane operator for two years. I started full time in 1998, I guess I had a head start being around outdoor power equipment and having the tickets and experience when I started. I have known contrators all my life, when I started I was lucky enough to be given 25 clients by a fellow who's equipment I repaired. It would be hard starting now without any help or clients to begin with. I'm always so pleased to read members storys here and how they built up a good business quicky. Very good clients are the key to success, they get you through the hard times and pay what the job is worth. Bad clients make you hate your job and either they go or you go back to working for the man.

Posted 15 April 2017 - 07:30 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales