14 replies to this topic
Bruce
Bruce

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Salt in Soft Drinks

I heard a couple of weeks back about soft drinks containing salt, which kinda shocked me at the time because it seemed like a real contradiction to have a drink which is meant for refreshment of thirst, containing salt, which would then increase thirst and dehydration. I got it instantly, the salt was there to get the consumer to drink more of the same soft drink because it did so little to quench the thirst. Nice trick. It also got me to thinking how I myself drank a lot of soft drinks in my early days as a contractor and how I was always feeling nauseous... and always thirsty, and how as soon as I switched to only drinking water, which was difficult, my health rebounded instantly. Amazing stuff. But I suppose the other worry with these things were all the chemicals that can go into these drinks, especially the diet ones, which was also a shocker when I looked into it. None of which can be good for us. Anyway, its been a few years now since I made the switch, and now I drink water throughout the day, with a treat at the beginning and end of every work day. Still love my iced coffee and my soft drink, so nowadays I always have my iced coffee at morning smoko and have my one soft drink at the end of the day when I'm driving home. Works for me, and a good compromise all round.
Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:07 PM

sandgroper
sandgroper

Lawn Club Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationPerth Western Australia
  • Business Name:Seville mowing

Salt in Soft Drinks

Reckon your onto something there steve those energy drinks would be the worst for salt content . The more you drink the thirstier you get but just can't help my self a caffeine addict right here, probably started with all those fancy coffee shops :) .Always keep a bottle of water with me though, man can not live on caffeine alone :( .Reckon everything is good in moderation it's only when we over indulge that problems creep in.
Posted 21 November 2013 - 10:25 PM

Robinson.property.maintenance

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationGladstone Qld

Salt in Soft Drinks

All your powered and gatorades are the same chockers full of salt to make you drink more of them. A friend of mine that is a nutritionist and fitness trainer for motocross riders says the best thing to do if your going to drink them is mix one of the 750ml bottles with 2 litres of water.on rare occasion I will have soft drink or energy drinks. I drink a hell of a lot of water and 8 plus cups of straight black coffee with no sugar.going on a tangent here but a lot of products are likethat tobacco get you addicted so you keep buying it. Even stranger the chap sticks you buy for cracked lips actually have chemicals in them that cause your lips to continue to crack so you keep using and keep buying it.
Posted 22 November 2013 - 04:04 PM
IF IT GROWS I'LL CUT IT. IF IT DOESN'T I'LL GROW IT

Bruce
Bruce

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Salt in Soft Drinks

Never heard about the chapsticks, but I believe you... its a messed up world isn't it. Its like when you go to McDonalds, spend $20 and an hour later you're hungry and thirsty :evil: As blokes working out in the heat, doing hard yakka every day, we really need to know whats going on with these foods and what we're putting into our bodies. I killed myself, wrecked my body and health, and suffered constantly in my first few years in the game, and it ended up costing me my first business, and a big part of that came down to diet and nutrition as well... I drank and ate all that crap that I wouldn't touch today. All worked out well in the end... I bounced back, learnt a lot of hard lessons, and was determined to change everything I did wrong the first time around... and these days... its all a breeze. no stress, no ill-health, just things running smoothly, with no dramas at all :D As someone else said here... its all a grand journey :mrgreen:
Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:54 PM

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationGladstone Qld

Salt in Soft Drinks

I have maccas probably once in the last two years and felt like crap after wards and slept really bad. Every one has their vices my bad ones are too many coffees and cigarettes a day.the worse thing is the healthy side of smokes don't worry me it's the phenomenalamount of money they cost
Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:39 PM
IF IT GROWS I'LL CUT IT. IF IT DOESN'T I'LL GROW IT

Bruce
Bruce

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Salt in Soft Drinks

Every one has their vices my bad ones are too many coffees and cigarettes a day.

We have exactly the same vices!

I'll drink coffee and smoke ciggies all day when I'm on the computer, more when I'm trying to concentrate and work hard... Remember my first pack of Stuyvesants cost 98 cents back in the 80s...

As for Maccas, I had it bought for me a couple of times recently, I couldn't stomach it... Just the texture of it didn't seem like it was real food.
Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

plucka
plucka

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Salt in Soft Drinks

Not advocating drinking softdrinks etc but a bit of salt in drinks can actually be beneficial as it replenish's electrolites in your body which are lost through sweat.  

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:59 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Salt in Soft Drinks

Cigarettes!!! Havnt had one since 98 and dont miss em at all. Love the smell of cigars though. When i joined the Navy in 68 cigarettes were the same price as a LARGE can out at sea.....20c. 

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:21 PM

Arfa Brayne
Arfa Brayne

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationThe Hillawarra.

Salt in Soft Drinks

As for Maccas, I had it bought for me a couple of times recently, I couldn't stomach it... Just the texture of it didn't seem like it was real food.

Just had "real food" for dinner - home made burgers. With beetroot, straight mince beef, bega cheese, lettuce, tomato and home made tomato sauce - on home baked sesame wholemeal buns. Maccas is foamed sugar, alien pickles and ??

For working and staying hydrated, try very weak black tea with 1/4 strength cordial, fresh lemon and a tiny pinch of salt

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:04 PM

"Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew in boiling water.
Sip on your 'T, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Salt in Soft Drinks

There's an American writer named Michael Pollan who's written some good books on what's happened to our food supply - he calls things like Maccas "Edible Food-like substances" - here's his rules for eating:-

http://www.webmd.com...es-for-eating#1

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:34 PM

PDM
PDM

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCanberra
  • Business Name:DLM

Salt in Soft Drinks

Haven't eaten McDonalds for over 10 years, hate the stuff. Lived on powdered Gatorade during an Afghanistan summer but still came home 30kg lighter than I went over. Enjoy a smoke at morning & afternoon smoko. Down to 2 a day after a pack a day habit for 40 years. Love my Jimmy's (Boags & Squires) and sometimes have more than is good for me. Everything in moderation I say, because none of us get out of this game alive.
Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:39 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

Salt in Soft Drinks

Ah Maccas, the health food of the nation.

has anyone seen the doco where  a guy ate for a month only stuff on the Maccas menu. I dont recall at what point his doc said get off it, it,ll kill you.

Took him ages to come good.

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:23 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Salt in Soft Drinks

Morgan Spurlock - Supersize Me:-

https://en.wikipedia...i/Super_Size_Me

Posted 18 October 2016 - 08:57 PM

formally just lawns
formally just lawns

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • LocationLismore Nsw
  • Business Name:Matthew's Lawn Care

Salt in Soft Drinks

i like the regular can of coke (  maybe to much lol ) , but when im working i just carry around one of these with water in it.  typically have it in the fridge overnight,  move it tho the freezer when i get up and couple hours later when i head out the dooro i throw it in the car

my method isnt really needed  but my water is still coldish at 3pm  when i knock off to go get the kids from school

http://www.bcf.com.a...-2oqxoC8sTw_wcB

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:08 PM

Derwent
Derwent

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Business Name:Milligan Gardens

Salt in Soft Drinks

I like fizz, but I get my satisfaction by buying the 75 cent bottles of sparkling water from woollies and keeping a few in the car.
I'll have one or two soft drinks in a month...

Food is a funny one, anything with a high sugar content will get y going now buy you'll crash later.
High protein breakfast is good to set you up for the day.
Avoid sugar as much as possible.
Processed carbs like white bread are evil, they make y hungrier after.
Two things I've found that really keep me going for a long time, one of them is raw salmon sushi. The salmon and avocado and rice is a nicely balanced nutritional package that I find keeps me satisfied for a long time.
The other is the local Mexican joint, I get a vegetarian small burrito, rice, beans, corn, lettuce, jalapeƱos, wrapped in a tortilla. One of those will keep me working hard for six hours plus without feeling hungry at all.
After one of those for lunch, I'll get home and have something light for dinner and I'm sorted. Nothing else works quite as well.
Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:05 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales