sandgroper

Lawn Club Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • LocationPerth Western Australia
  • Business Name:Seville mowing

Aches and pains

OK were all supermen I know, but reckon its time to share what aches and pains we all get from pounding our bodies day in day out doing what we do, and what we do to help get us get through the next day. I myself have developed tennis elbow (both elbows) from the whippy over the last couple of years and now wear a brace while working to help. I know that using a harness will help but just find the bullbars on the whippys to awkward to use and mucking around with straps at every job is just to time consuming so just stick to the loop handle. Any good work practises anyone can suggest that I may be over looking :?: .
Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

Bruce
Bruce

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Aches and pains

Too many war wounds to mention over the years... my own fault of course. Worked too hard, didn't look after my health in the early years. You got tennis elbow, I got the opposite Golfers Elbow, on both arms, never even heard of it before I got it. throw in a nice hernia and a trip to the hospital for good measure :mrgreen: plus a few other things. I made all the mistakes... hopefully I've learnt from at least some of them!!
Posted 15 December 2013 - 06:40 PM

Lawn Club, The Lawn Guide, Buffalo Lawn Care and Lawn Care Advice websites, and all content therein are the exclusive property of Ozbreed. Lawn Club admin enquiries should be directed to the site admin. All enquiries regarding any of these sites should be directed to the website & content owners.

Chris
Chris

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Aches and pains

If I start feeling sore, on a big slashing job or something, I'l take 5 every 30-40 minutes and stretch a bit, hang from a tree branch to stretch out. I try to keep the potassium up to prevent cramps, banana for brekky or smoke o is good. Tomatoes, parsley, celery, coconut water, all have good electrolytes to help your muscles work properly, having said that I'l go a gatorade over celery sticks and coconut water any day. I think regular exercise, a good diet and listening to your body is really to best way to go, I train when I can and keep pretty fit and that makes a world of difference on even the toughest jobs. Your body is the most valuable machine you have and it needs looking after just like every other tool we use.
Posted 18 December 2013 - 08:57 AM

Derwent
Derwent

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Business Name:Milligan Gardens

Aches and pains

Magnesium oil in a spray bottle is good for aching muscles
Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:32 PM

Arfa Brayne
Arfa Brayne

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationThe Hillawarra.

Aches and pains

Sangroper - get a lighter whippy.

Chris - Spot on mate, stretch and sip (hydrate in new-speak) Do a bit of a regular workout and find a good chiropractor.

Smashed my elbow years ago on a bike prang so wouldn't know tennis elbow if it bit me, but watch out for "tennis leg"

Usually hits blokes late 40's when the muscles start to calcify. There is a rotator muscle in the calf (from the achilles) that we are prone to snap due to our work hardened muscles. Stretching might help, but I've snapped both mine so wouldn't know. You'd swear someone teed off with a # 1 wood right into the back of your leg with a golf ball. There's a "crack" and you are in a lot of pain struggling to walk for the next 3 days. Takes about a month before you walk reasonably smoothly again.

When doing a fair bit of heavy lifting wear a decent gut belt (wide leather belt) and lift properly. Like Steve, I'm on the 3rd hernia (left, right and now umbilical from coughing with pnumonia of all things )

Cramps and aches - vitamin tablet every day, thick vegemite on toast for brekkie (salt and vitamin B) Fruit saline for after work to rehydrate and replace salt.

Good leather boots and thick socks to keep away fungal problems and sprained ankles.

Wear decent sun protection and get the cancers burnt off each winter.

Even with the best hearing protection you will get some hearing loss, but use the best earplugs you can get. 

We are at risk of Kidney stones from being dehydrated a lot - bloody painful as. Doc reckons worse than childbirth.

I was stubborn and wouldn't go for surgery. (Wollongong hospital you come out worse than you go in). After 3 days I shifted the stones by drinking pint mugs of straight lemon juice to dissolve them and jarred them along by jumping hard off the verandah onto concrete. (it works - better than surgery)

3x lots of broken ribs, smashed ankle, chainsawed thumb, concussions = just dumb mistakes. 

5 minutes thought is better than 5 hours stuff up or 5 weeks off work injured.

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:25 PM

"Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew in boiling water.
Sip on your 'T, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Aches and pains

Right elbow, always hurts.

Posted 29 December 2015 - 06:49 AM

Arfa Brayne
Arfa Brayne

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Aches and pains

Forgot the really good tip ----

Petrol to neutralize wasp venom + bee venom.

I'm sure we've all been hit by those bloody paper wasps with nests under big leaves or garden furniture. I carry a can of surface spray now as war has been declared.

Dad was a bushman and showed me as a kid how to use petrol to neutralize the venom - stops the stinging, swelling and later itching (as it heals).

I've been hit with multiple stings on quite a few occasions and it really works like magic. Even use the same method on my own sons.

Grab a rag or tissue or anything that will soak up a bit of petrol (i've even used dry grass clippings) and soak it with petrol - 2 stroke seems to work slightly better. Just keep the sting site wet with petrol for about 5 minutes. 

The sting will ease almost immediately, but keep it wet for 5 minutes to neutralise all the venom and stop the swollen lump of hard flesh that results from a sting.

The most critical thing is time - the sooner you apply the petrol the more venom it neutralises. After 3 minutes - forget it = too late - the venom has done it's job at spreading and paralysing flesh.

If done right, the only effect you will get is a hole where the sting went in that gets weepy in about a weeks time, but this happens even if you don't use the petrol.

A cup of petrol splashed on a wasp nest will instantly kill the mongrels too. They fall to the ground, wiggle twice, and are dead in seconds.

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:53 AM

Dazzah
Dazzah

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Aches and pains

Forgot the really good tip ----

Petrol to neutralize wasp venom + bee venom.

I'm sure we've all been hit by those bloody paper wasps with nests under big leaves or garden furniture. I carry a can of surface spray now as war has been declared.

Dad was a bushman and showed me as a kid how to use petrol to neutralize...

Yeh well, live long enough outside the gazebo and discovery of solutions to biological hazards build a veritable wardrobe of fixes, definitely so in the tropics.
Metho and a quick fire, swamped with a wet towel, fixes the injected stings of plants.
Pretty much a good dose of metho followed by an icepack fixes many stings, except bee sting.
For that you need a good sharp knife and grit ;)
As to the topic..aches and pains?
I started "work" ar age 12.. got my first PAYE pay at age 16.
Factored down the number of Australians today who will suffer the conditions discussed here will diminish by tens of thousands. FFS, we have battery powered hedge trimmers now available..!
A major hernia at age 47 is not in the horizion of today's feild working Australian. Unless cost cutting and "thick as a brick" are the business principles applied?

Enjoying the new green of a Xmas wet an' wishing all a long mulching season ahead ;)
Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:50 PM
Caveat: Following this Bull you can look at the tracks or look under the tail. You take away what You see.
[panorama] 'Back to the Future' scene from "Finding Bazza"..see-Dazza on Bazza(YouTube)
Dazza2015_pana.jpg

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Aches and pains

I have tennis elbow also carpel tunnel in my hands all from 20 years contracting. Guy's be wary if you notice a small lump on your eye. It's called a peterygium, it's associated with dust and uv. I had one removed 8 mths ago it was the most painfull thing I've ever experienced also 8 weeks off work. Now another one is starting in the other eye, could take 7 years to grow enough to need surgery. The eye surgeon tells me that folk in our industry are prone to it given the conditions we face daily. Just thought it was worth a mention, the chances are you will never have an issue, but we all are at higher risk.

Cheers

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:29 AM

Iand
Iand

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 654 posts

Aches and pains

Try magnesium tablets for the Carpal tunnel if i forget to have them for a few days i can feel my hands getting worse

Posted 27 February 2016 - 10:19 AM

Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against smile.png

Arfa Brayne
Arfa Brayne

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Aches and pains

Added a new one this week - Sciatic nerve / Sciatica

Aggrivated by walking....... :roll:  great !

Went into shock today with combination of heat and pain - blacked out, would have chundered if not for an empty gut.

Chiro booking for monday at earliest (but he's bloody good) so hanging in till then.

Beer helps....... especially mixed with pain killers.

Ah........ the joys of being a grassie 

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:21 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Southside

Aches and pains

Gday Arfa,

I swear by my chiropractor to keep me mobile but, after a bad lower back injury a few years ago where I had bad sciatica and about a 50% loss of strength in my left leg, I was referred for Pilates! And it worked a treat. All this guff about core strength is true. Took a few weeks to get pain free and a couple of months to get strength back but I did. I recommend it.

Cheers

Posted 02 March 2016 - 07:37 PM

Arfa Brayne
Arfa Brayne

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Aches and pains

Thanks Crockster .............. you're going to make my wife very happy.  She laughed for weeks last time I tried to do pilates with her (it was a dare). Like a buffalo doing ballet.

Posted 03 March 2016 - 12:50 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Aches and pains

Ive suffered lower back pain and Sciatica since I was in grade 7.

I bought a Cross Trainer second hand last year and spend 5 to 10 min on it every day or so and this seems to have helped a heap..I mean a heap. Really surprised how much its helped. And instead of immense pain for 2 to 10 days once a month or two...to rarely getting a major pain attack. Still get the odd uncomfortable back but nowhere near like i used to cop it.

I havent had a pain killer for 6 months.. ..

Hanging by my arms with my feet off the ground seems to help when I do get the pains. Its a great stretch.

Posted 03 March 2016 - 03:31 PM

Iand
Iand

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 654 posts

Aches and pains

Magnesium tablets,voltaren tablets,patches/stickers http://www.ebay.com....=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

and horse gel http://www.aussievet...CFQsQvQodWasGnQ

Posted 03 March 2016 - 04:03 PM

Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against smile.png

Dan Clynk
Dan Clynk

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationCamillo WA
  • Business Name:Colonel's Mowing

Aches and pains

I second Magnesium Tablets, I started getting pain in my left wrist and neck pain.

Just one tablet every morning is doing wonders :)

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:59 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Aches and pains

OK, Trigger finger (Do you feel lucky punk?)

I'm self diagnosed at the moment but I'm 99.9% sure I have this - in three fingers of both hands at least - symptoms are stiff painful fingers that "lock" in the morning - getting worse in winter - if I make a fist when I wake up the fingers lock in that position and "snap" straight when I try to straighten them - can't pick small things up until I've freed them up - I have to use alternate hands to "work" the fingers till they loosen up.

Dr Google says it comes about with repetitive strain from long periods of gripping tools - in my case that would be rowing for sport and 3 stints as a contractor over the last 35 years.

I don't like the fact that my past is catching up and plan to manage it as best I can along with the other bits that are falling off so I can keep mowing for as long as possible. So I've found the following tips:-

• Soak hands in hot water in the morning - I'm adding Radox to it - it does make them feel better anyway
  • Magnesium supplement - plan on taking it
  • Wagners No. 3 Glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM powder - already take it
  • protective gloves - found these this morning:-

http://www.bionicglo.../Gardening.html

and Bunnings have these:-

https://www.bunnings...gloves_p2970200

I'll give the first ones a try to start with

• Neoprene foam tubing on handles - I've done it to mower handles - bought as bicycle handlebar tubing on eBay.

Anyone else here dealing with this? I'd appreciate any tips. To younger members here I'd say take the time to invest in some preventative measures now - getting old is a ####.

Cheers

Croc

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:34 AM

john22
john22

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Northside

Aches and pains

I'd say your self diagnosis is correct Croc, all you can do is alternate what you are doing to avoid prolonged use of a tendon. Magnesium and Fish Oil help, but how much?.

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:01 PM

crocster
crocster

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,483 posts

Aches and pains

Cheers John,

Some more googling brought up a lot of info on youtube - joint stretches, arnica cream  and a type of massage you can do yourself - and at the end of the day there is minor surgery to relieve the restriction to the tendon's movement - not something I want to have so will try to be more "hand friendly" when I work.

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:45 PM

markp
markp

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Aches and pains

croc can you feel lumps in your hand. When you get carpel tunnel bad you get lumps in your hand and cant straighten your fingers thats what they operate on.  I have it in both hands , my right one is the worst., not bad enough to operate on, but its only going to get worse

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:22 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales