• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic
Iand
Iand

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 654 posts

What Line Trimmer(S) Are You Using

I used to change the oil in my Honda blower every 2-4 weeks 12 days after changing the oil it seized due to lack of oil :( so i brought a makita 4 stroke and realised how heavy and under powered the Honda was then when this one seized i changed back to 2 stokes and realised how heavy and under powered the Makita was :D

Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:58 PM

Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against smile.png

Rusty
Rusty

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Business Name:LAWNS R US

I used to change the oil in my Honda blower every 2-4 weeks 12 days after changing the oil it seized due to lack of oil :( so i brought a makita 4 stroke and realised how heavy and under powered the Honda was then when this one seized i changed back to 2 stokes and realised how heavy and under powered the Makita was :D

Now that sounds like you would be a Stihl BG56 or Echo PB2445 man

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:44 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Now wouldnt that be more operator error than bad machine? ''so true lets not forget they recommend to check the engine oil level before every use -  :) 

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:43 AM

Iand
Iand

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 654 posts

Now wouldnt that be more operator error than bad machine? ''so true lets not forget they recommend to check the engine oil level before every use -  :) 

Very true but the effort needed to remember and time taken to check the oil level before every use or even every 2nd or 3rd use far outweighs the effort taken to put 100ml of 2/ oil in a 5lt fuel can and fill with fuel once a week when filling up the other fuel containers and vehicle

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:26 PM

Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against smile.png

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

Takes 2 secs to add some oil to a 5l container of fuel.

Takes longer to check a dipstick.....

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:38 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Very true but the effort needed to remember and time taken to check the oil level before every use or even every 2nd or 3rd use far outweighs the effort taken to put 100ml of 2/ oil in a 5lt fuel can and fill with fuel once a week when filling up the other fuel containers and vehicle

Seriously, i never check my Honda ( trimmer 25cc ) or Makita ( trimmer 25cc and blower ) just change it every month. Plus they use same oil as Self Propelleds. 

Oh wait now i get it, your all gonna convert to 2 stroke mowers LOL

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:39 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Seriously, i never check my Honda ( trimmer 25cc ) or Makita ( trimmer 25cc and blower ) just change it every month. Plus they use same oil as Self Propelleds. 

Id love to..light, can use em on a hill (no splash sump) Hi revving, lots of power...

2 strokes are great, pitty the technology of them hasnt advanced due to emission laws in the states. (just like motorbikes)

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:43 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationDarwin

Id love to..light, can use em on a hill (no splash sump) Hi revving, lots of power...

2 strokes are great, pitty the technology of them hasnt advanced due to emission laws in the states. (just like motorbikes)

Check this out. If true and honda use it in their mowers wonder how they will explain the change after waffling for so long how good 4 stroke is.

http://www.gizmag.co...t-filing/38529/

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:50 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Check this out. If true and honda use it in their mowers wonder how they will explain the change after waffling for so long how good 4 stroke is.

http://www.gizmag.co...t-filing/38529/

very interesting!

Posted 26 October 2015 - 01:54 PM

Haggis
Haggis

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationHobart
  • Business Name:Tasman Mowing

Apparently the only dealer in the state has to order it from Melbourne anyway  :-)

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:32 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

Apparently the only dealer in the state has to order it from Melbourne anyway  :-)

Sheffield Shed in Sheffield sells them i think, or used to.

But sounds like parts will be a problem.

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:38 PM

Haggis
Haggis

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationHobart

Yes, parts have to be ordered also.  I am thinking about going for a stihl after all that!  ARRGGHHHHHH

Posted 26 October 2015 - 02:40 PM

Iand
Iand

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 654 posts

Yes, parts have to be ordered also.  I am thinking about going for a stihl after all that!  ARRGGHHHHHH

They probably have to order parts from the mainland as well :D

As i said i have used very few parts on my shindis in all the time i have been using them

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:37 PM

Iand
Iand

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 654 posts

As i said my 4strokes seized within 2-3 weeks of an oil change so might be an idea to check the level at least once a week if not daily

Posted 26 October 2015 - 08:39 PM

Haggis
Haggis

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationHobart

Just bought a Stihl FS 85 R.  Massive more power than the Victa  :-)    going to take a while to get used to it.

At least now I can fit a blade to it and clear stuff.

Posted 30 October 2015 - 03:05 PM

Rusty
Rusty

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Just bought a Stihl FS 85 R.  Massive more power than the Victa  :-)    going to take a while to get used to it.

At least now I can fit a blade to it and clear stuff.

Now you got a decent machine to last you

Posted 30 October 2015 - 03:48 PM

Rusty
Rusty

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Its pretty light, balance is good. Starts no problem (all Stihl stuff has the same procedure ive found, once you learn that they start quickly).

Parts are never a problem. The plastic bits like the choke lever can break  (can still be used though)and the grove it slides in has a bubble type of thing to hold it in place (choke on or off) and that wears.

Changing heads is easy, you just need a small screw driver handy. Diff attachments available off the shelf.

all in all a good machine IMO

I picked one up so will give it a run,so far i like it.

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:02 PM

Rory
Rory

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationAdelaide
  • Business Name:Firefly Lawns & Gardens

okay - there are NO Shindaiwa dealers in Tasmania  :-(

I have the choice to either order one from the mainland or Sthil / Honda.

Concerned that repairs / service would be an issue...

Be wary of the vibration from the Sthil gear. Ive been using an fs85 and a fs90 for 9mths and every morning I cant close my hands when i wake up. Spoke to a local sthil dealer and he said that the sthil gear we get here doesnt meet the vibration requirements they have in Europe.  :unsure: He also said that a huge percentage of all power tools sold in Australia ie drills, angle grinders, all garden power tools etc would be taken off the shelves if those vibration requirements were started here  :D

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:05 PM

Rusty
Rusty

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Be wary of the vibration from the Sthil gear. Ive been using an fs85 and a fs90 for 9mths and every morning I cant close my hands when i wake up. Spoke to a local sthil dealer and he said that the sthil gear we get here doesnt meet the vibration requirements they have in Europe.  :unsure: He also said that a huge percentage of all power tools sold in Australia ie drills, angle grinders, all garden power tools etc would be taken off the shelves if those vibration requirements were started here  :D

Using 3 Stihl products everyday without those vibes and no white finger

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:11 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS

I use Stihl trimmers (2x FS55r), chainsaws and hedge trimmers...i dont get what you do. Are you sure the shaft isnt damaged or needs some grease?

I would also be wary of the "he said". I'm no expert about these things but i dont think it would be financially viable to make the same Stihl products with different anti vibration gear for diff markets.

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:06 AM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales