5 replies to this topic
Bruce
Bruce

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 910 posts

2 Bucks

Whats 2 bucks worth these days? Not much, about what 10 cents was worth not so long ago. When I bought my own turf a few weeks back it was $198.00, and after loading up the van with the sod I give the bloke at the farm $200 and he says I'll go and get you some change. My immediate response without thinking was to say, don't worry about it - whats 2 bucks worth these days - about 10 cents. We both had a laugh...

Then some weeks later, I find out 2 bucks can actually be worth a lot more.

I'm at a job I've been doing for years, as it goes these days I only met the Mrs once at the quote and only saw the Mr once a few months back when he was ill and at home. So theres no real customer relationship going on here except I have always shown up on the exact date that they're booked in for, do a good job, and its all hassle free for both parties.

2 cuts ago, I doing the verge and noticed a $2 coin on the grass, so I just pick it up and walk on over and leave it on the steps leading the front porch, and head back to doing the verge. While I'm still finishing off the verge, a visitor arrives at the property, the owner comes out and gives a nice smile as I'm mowing. I finish the front yard and by this time the visitor had left, and while I was blowing I noticed the 2 bucks was gone from the front porch... the owner had picked it up.

Blowing all done, the owner comes out and starts chatting to me like we were old mate, laughing, chatting about all sorts, he was one happy bloke. Yet I've only seen him once before in years and only for a few seconds.

My guess... he saw me putting the money on the steps. And he appreciated the honesty that he had just seen from this unknown contractor who had been coming to his house for years... and in this day and age and how society is now... for those who appreciate honesty and integrity, this was gold for him.

So whats 2 bucks worth... about 10 cents - or a very happy and very loyal customer who will brag and recommend your services to anyone who will listen  ;) and thats priceless  :)

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:09 AM

Lawn Club, The Lawn Guide, Buffalo Lawn Care and Lawn Care Advice websites, and all content therein are the exclusive property of Ozbreed. Lawn Club admin enquiries should be directed to the site admin. All enquiries regarding any of these sites should be directed to the website & content owners.

Dan Clynk
Dan Clynk

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationCamillo WA
  • Business Name:Colonel's Mowing

2 Bucks

Love this post, its how i think about things.
Posted 21 March 2015 - 01:31 AM

Dan Clynk
Dan Clynk

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationCamillo WA
  • Business Name:Colonel's Mowing

2 Bucks

I was mowing a new customers lawn last week when I heard an odd noise when trimming, up flicks a $5 note! 

Stuck it on the seat out the front of her home and let the home owner know. 

Customer was happy when she got home, and now wants a regular service, happy days! 

Dan

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:16 PM

CGAHS
CGAHS

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts
  • LocationCurrarong NSW

2 Bucks

:)

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:59 PM

Lucky
Lucky

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationDevonport TAS
  • Business Name:Grasshoppers

2 Bucks

Or did the visitor pick it up?

Posted 14 August 2017 - 02:42 PM

drewebb
drewebb

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,009 posts
  • LocationDarwin
  • Business Name:Drews Lawns

2 Bucks

Mate of mine paid the parking meter this morning ( $2.00 ) we cross the road and there it is, a $2.00 coin. :)  

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:47 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales