40 replies to this topic
Red Gum
Red Gum

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

What Do You Wear?

Hi guys, apologies for all the new threads but I'm full of questions and it seemed more appropriate to give each one its own topic. That way you can ignore anything that makes your eyes roll ;)

Simple one this: Hi-vis 'contractor' style clothing, casual workwear, or smart 'corporate' (ie your business logo polo shirt)? Or does it vary depending on the type of work?

Posted 12 May 2015 - 05:19 PM

Rusty
Rusty

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Business Name:LAWNS R US

What Do You Wear?

I wear Hi Vis top.You can wear whatever you want providing something on you is Hi Vis.

If you were injured while working and needed medical attention safework would be there in no time.All sorts of things can now work against you,like insurance issues etc.

You only need Safework driving past and spotting you working for them to check you out because he didn't like seeing something about you,bit like having the cops checking out the car to see if the handbrakes working.

Next time you go out have a look around and see the amount of people wearing Hi Vis for a reason.Most businesses Hi Vis is now compulsory for the employees and management.

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:07 PM

Red Gum
Red Gum

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

What Do You Wear?

Hi Rusty, are you saying that hi-vis is actually a legal requirement? Do you know on what basis? I'm curious to know what it is that legally puts me into 'you must do this' territory.

I understand that there are guidelines and advisories about working near traffic etc, but I'm not aware of any actual laws (not that I've looked). What is it that separates me from, say, a plumber or painter? Where's the legal line?

If there are special laws that affect me I want to know what they are! :blink:

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:35 PM

Rusty
Rusty

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

What Do You Wear?

I think everyone should check safework state laws in being clear.

It doesn't have to be a section that states "you must"..What actually happens is they may find you negligent or working without due care.So what did you do or not do to make things safe for you or others around you,this is the bit that gets you that hefty fine if they find you at fault.

Anyway it's when things go wrong that's when the contractor finds out if he/she are within the state Safework guidelines.

Go to Safework web site it has a section showing individual and company fines for breaches.

If you can't find a section that has a fine then Safework will make one up for the situation.

I hear most things that happen and that go bad for contractors through being a member of ALMA.

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:30 PM

Red Gum
Red Gum

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

What Do You Wear?

Fair point Rusty. I'm actually a fan of safety measures really, most of them just make you look more professional anyway and that's never a bad thing. Hi-vis shirts are pretty cheap and easy to come by too.

Just curious, do you have any colour preference in this kind of work? I have a stack of old yellow tops, but thinking of picking up some nice crisp orange to match the Kubota ;0)
Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:06 PM

Rusty
Rusty

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

What Do You Wear?

I was just thinking of you today Red while i was at the waste depot.While i was lined up with 2 vehicles in front of me the guys were in asphalt business and both had Hi Vis.

While i was emptying the grass clipping two other lawnies turned up and both wearing Hi Vis,i looked around the big yard and seeing like 10-12 people everyone was wearing Hi Vis.

As to colour i prefer the yellow/green when mowing.

When doing any tree/shrub trimming or hedge trimming i wear the orange.The yellow/green attracts bees.

You could just wear whatever clothes you have for winter and slip on a vest,i found it warmer on those 12 deg windy days wearing a windcheater.Or a Hi Vis windcheater.During summer guys usually wear the cotton drill Hi Vis shirt.

Attached File  download.jpg   7.48KB   0 downloads

Attached File  download (1).jpg   7.24KB   0 downloads

Posted 13 May 2015 - 11:33 PM

Iand
Iand

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 654 posts

What Do You Wear?

I've just changed over to the Kmart workcool hivis polos $12 used to wear cotton drill shirts but thought i would go back to the polos to save ironing :) note i think kmart have the drill shirts for $20 also have full length zip windcheaters for $20 or $25 i like the full zip ones as they're easy to get on or off which is great when the weather starts to warm up or just throwing on as it's starting to rain

Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:25 AM

Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against smile.png

Red Gum
Red Gum

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

What Do You Wear?

Has anyone got a favourite brand of hi-vis shirt (other than K-mart, which I'll check out)?

The ones I have are all conflicting sizes, and I don't think any of them are particularly comfortable, especially in the heat. I'm guessing that there are some nice quality breathable / wicking fabric options available these days, if you know where to look?

For pants I really like the Hard Yakka 'legends', they fit me well and they are pretty tough. Plenty of pockets and big tough patches over the knees so they don't fade and wear out. I go for khaki as it is probably cooler in summer than the darker colours. They also make a summer weight version, I have a pair but haven't worn them much yet.
Posted 14 May 2015 - 08:51 AM

Iand
Iand

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 654 posts

What Do You Wear?

Kmart have to varieties in the polos the cheaper Jackeroo $9 and the coolmax moisture wicking $12 i have the coolmax but haven't really had any real hot days since i brought them the pants i wear are http://www.ebay.com....=item35ba3e2066 last forever and don't need ironing

Posted 14 May 2015 - 10:31 PM

Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against smile.png

wombat
wombat

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

What Do You Wear?

Nothing wrong with the Hi-Vis gear at Kmart. I got some long sleeve ones for 12 bucks and wore them last summer, kept the sun off my arms and were pretty good to work in. Found some new ones at a Sunday market for only 5 bucks each, even better value! Agree Steve you don't have to spend a fortune to look professional these days. I also got some khaki work pants from Kmart for 25 bucks, King-gee knock-offs but they are lasting really well. That many pockets I lose my stuff lol.

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:10 PM

Markwhite
Markwhite

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationBendigo
  • Business Name:Mark White's Garden and Lawn care

What Do You Wear?

I wear blue King-gee pants as i got them cheap of a site on Facebook and wear hi vis orange shirts and jumper.

Posted 17 May 2015 - 07:16 PM

Keith James
Keith James

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 3 posts
  • Business Name:Lawn Pride

What Do You Wear?

I'm also a fan of the Kmart range. Good value and durable. I also agree that a sense of uniform provides a more professional perception.

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:46 AM

RobbieM
RobbieM

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Business Name:RM Mowing

What Do You Wear?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone wear long pants, or some type of shin guards etc, when using edgers or snippers? I seem to have an amazing ability to finish the day with some form of bleeding wound on the legs each day!!!
Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:12 PM

wombat
wombat

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

What Do You Wear?

Have always worn long pants of some description for that very reason. You also don't need to use sunscreen on your legs either.

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:07 PM

Bretto
Bretto

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Business Name:Brett's Mowing

What Do You Wear?

Have a look on eBay, just bought some really good shirts the other day that have a different style than the normal ones found in shops and I think they look just that little bit more professional....
Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:22 PM

Red Gum
Red Gum

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

What Do You Wear?

Steve, the JB's workwear website lets you search by colour combination:

http://www.jbswear.c...i-vis-tradewear

They seem to be the biggest supplier in Australia. You can find all their products on eBay (just search for the item code) or any workwear shop can order them for you.
Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:22 AM

dansmowing
dansmowing

• Lawn Club Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Business Name:Dan's Mowing

What Do You Wear?

[post='dansmowing.co.nz']I wear Nato issue bullet proof glasses when I am mowing. Almost scratch proof and last a good year. Have no uniform yet when I mow lawns but can get some great shirts and pants at seconhand shops. As long as your covered in grass and you have some ear ####s perople wont think your a burglar when you go up to there house to do a quote! My business is dansmowing.co.nz I have 4 years experience in mowing lawns.[/post]

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:32 AM

Iand
Iand

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Mod
  • 654 posts

What Do You Wear?

As long as your covered in grass and you have some ear ####s perople wont think your a burglar when you go up to there house to do a quote!

From the burglar 101 handbook :)

Posted 27 July 2015 - 06:35 PM

cannon
cannon

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Business Name:Gardens Plus

What Do You Wear?

I always work in shorts . summer and winter .. and I work in some areas that have snow !!!! I would die from being too hot no matter what the weather. Hi vis shirts (workplace requirement) and jackets.

Only real non work item I wear is my boots. I find most safety boots are uncomfortable so I wear Italian Scarpa hiking boots .. so much better on my feet

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:41 PM

spongy buffalo
spongy buffalo

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

What Do You Wear?

Went down to the safety clothing shop the other day, asked for hard yakka code number #%}^,
“oh they’ve been discontinued”
“Well I want the lightest coolest pants you have”

Much looking through catalogues later, no clear answer.

So thin light long pants, don’t need cargo pockets knee pads or other junk.

What have you got for me team?
Posted 04 March 2018 - 07:07 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales