5 replies to this topic
Red Gum
Red Gum

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Tickets Required, Loopholes And Gotchas

Hi guys, as you may know from my other posts, I'm in the process of getting all my ducks in a row to start pimping myself out as a mower/slasher/cleanup/maintenance guy etc.

I'm just wondering about all of the things that someone like me might get asked to do, that actually require a ticket / license / trade qualification of some description.

I don't believe that the lack of a formal ticket necessarily makes us all idiots and dangers to the community - intelligence and safe working practises are always essential, as is a healthy awareness of one's own limitations. I'm talking PURELY about the legalities here.

From this and other forums I understand that, for example, applying even supermarket weedkiller requires a license if you are doing it for payment, and that doing more than about $3000 of building work (such as fencing) requires a builder's license (although I'm not sure in which states these apply).

I'm also curious about others, for example:

- Minor plumbing repairs and alterations - eg. stormwater / gutters, roofing, grey water diverters?

- Chainsaw work - eg dicing up fallen limbs for firewood, dropping unsafe or inconvenient limbs, felling small trees?

- Minor pest control - eg using supermarket products on behalf of an elderly or absent homeowner?

Any info would be really helpful to me right now, and I'm sure others would find it a handy resource too. Cheers!

Posted 26 May 2015 - 04:26 PM

AndrewG
AndrewG

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Unfortunately rules and laws seem to change so often that it is very hard to keep up but I will try to help based on what I currently know, some of which is from a few years back.

* The chemical spraying: What I last knew, almost 2 years ago when I did a refresher course was you need a ticket if applying chemicals to a property other than your own. This was most relevant to our businesses......Farmers etc have a different rule.

However I would google "how is chemcert relevant in my state" to find out for sure.

One thing I do apply when I spray is to place a "pesticide application in progress" sign whenever I spray unless it is in the customers backyard only. It might be overkill, but only do that due to the local council informing the public when spraying glyphosate and when I was renting in the townhouse the contractors that did that would inform us in advance when using broadleaf killer. I do let the customer know of any requirments that may be needed, mostly not to walk on the lawn in bare feet for a couple of days

* Plumbing: Any work done to mains connected supply must be carried out by a licensed repairer. This doesn't include irrigation that is connected to mains via a clip on fitting (like a hose clip). But say if you removed a tap and applied screw on poly fittings to run irrigation and put your own tap in line, then you would need to be licensed.

If you are connecting to stormwater you must be licenced.

* Chainsaw work: I am not aware of any need for licensing.

Just in regard to the limit on the value of work that can be carried out without being qualified (like your fence example) I did read recently that limit had increased??? and the time limit for warranty had decreased???

I know this article brought up the discussion with some of my workmates and we wondered about irrigation for example. There are licenced irrigation installers in our area which I was unaware of. This made us wonder if you installed irrigation that used clip on fitting to the tap, a customer used it and a connection in line failed and caused damage, you would be liable?? Or only liable if above the price limit???

It certainly is a minefield and sorry this isn't much help. One thing I am almost certain of that in any of the above cases (chainsaw use, spraying etc) if you didn't have a ticket and something went amiss your own insurance company would probably not cover you be it injury to yourself or others/damage to other property. So for example if you were dropping a tree/limb and it did damage you wouldn't be covered, I think purely because there is a certification available and you didn't have it. I remember doing the construction industry green card (or whatever it is called) and the guy suggested to us that if mowing within 2 metres of a road you need signs out. I haven't gone that far yet, but will do when I move onto it full time and also in the process of doing risk assessments. Given my luck lately I am covering every angle LOL

Local council laws can also come into play (e.g for retaining walls)

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:16 PM

Rusty
Rusty

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts
  • Business Name:LAWNS R US

Every state has different laws to do's and don'ts.What we are allowed to do here in SA may possible be the opposite there.

Once someone asked me if i had a white ticket ??.I said what's a white ticket.Never heard of one.Only to find out interstate uses white tickets.

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:17 AM

wombat
wombat

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

White Ticket!! yeh I heard of them, quite honestly I think it means that you have a brain re personal safety and can use it!!!

My wife had to get one for a job she was applying for. Online course, cost about $60, money for nothing as far as Iam concerned.

Posted 30 May 2015 - 01:27 AM

Red Gum
Red Gum

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Thanks guys.

I've got the white card, it was a silly little online test and then leaving a phone message answer to a couple of questions, but at least now I know what a warning sign looks like and not to ignore it and stick pointy things in my eye and drink acid and stuff.

I'm in the local SES so I also have a couple of basic public safety, first aid and chainsaw tickets through them. Seems to tick the right boxes with the local community housing folks, so hopefully it will convert into jobs soon.

It looks like the NSW govt want to see a license when doing any building work over $5000, under that it seems unregulated, at least according to this page:

http://www.fairtradi..._jobs_contracts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 01:56 PM

Sando
Sando

Advanced Member

• Lawn Club Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Business Name:Sando's Home Services

It is all revenue raising. Maybe some things can be learned but who is to say that you have not found a better way and why should you be at the hands of some so called expert? We have all heard of the dodgy builder, with a licence or plumber or the bad driver and even the pedophile with a blue card that runs the entire child safety government corrupt body - so all these tickets are about, is raising money in an underhanded way and to keep all blame on the person doing the task so insurance companies can continue the scam.

Getting a license doesn't prove that you are capable and the amount we have to have with limited almost non existent real teachings is a farce. The white card for example - Online course and to pass you have to answer all questions right. If you get one wrong you jump back a couple question and then select another multiple choice answer. Sounds legit to me. Usually tickets will be asked for by various business you work for. Having liability insurance is just another one of these so called revenue schemes.

If these people wish for you to have a ticket, than maybe they should pay for these tickets or hand them out free.

In my state i am not sure what is what but some that i have been asked to have.

Forklift ticket - yet i drove forklifts at 16 without and did an excellent job.

Chainsaw - Think this one is a must and goes in stages. Stages are about the height you can cut. Which then goes hand in hand with Working at heights ticket and possibly EWP if using cherry pickers. I haven't heard of the chemical spraying ticket but have heard of keeping a MSDS onboard.

Being a handyman - I have repaired a lot of plumbing but usually to my capabilities, which seems to be vast and don't think for general plumbing a ticket is needed. These type usually the burden is laid onto the customer to make sure they use a licenced person, yet the amount of dodgy jobs i have seen by licenced people is a disgrace. Ripping of old ladies etc. Just like the licenced mechanic that is vastly overpriced for certain unsuspecting people. Not to mention the amount of very new apprentices that work on cars.

Not sure what the rate is now but to do any form of handyman repairs was to the value of $3000 including materials, which may have jumped to $5000 now. This is ridiculous in the sense that you could spend $5000 on materials alone and not do any work at all. Does that mean if you spend $5001 on materials and somebody else does the job, will you still be liable? Or what if you quote to do part of the job for example, erect two sides of a fence and then 3 months later do the other 2 sides at 2 separate costs of $5000. The customer could say they only asked for 2 sides and then wanted the other sides done, which then removes all the burden. Why can you erect up to a certain value of fence and not do the rest? Wjhy is it that after a certain amount your work becomes bad? I reckon doing half the job good and not being able to finish would be the problem. What happens if you do multiple jobs at one property? Do you invoice each job separately to get away with the limit? For example, mow lawn - invoice, fix tap washers - invoice, Fix fence - invoice. The whole lot is an absolute farce.

I have heard in other states you can get a limited electrician licence so you are able to rewire light switches etc. But not in my state, no way, would have come in handy many times, since it isn't that hard to do and would have helped while doing other jobs. Oh and there is the one where you can work for a company that has all the licences, you as a subcontractor without and as far as i know, will get away with working for more than the limit.

A blue card with P for paid if you are employed and paid by for example, a child care centre to do handywork. All the kids that get hurt this is becoming a joke and as of recent, it wouldn't matter if you had one anyway because nobody will believe you now. A police check is another but probably better.

One thing i have learned is this so called protection racket going on is getting out of hand.

Take guns away - people still get killed by guns, people still use guns without licence

Get a car licence - people still get killed, can't drive and use cars without licences

Safety at heights ticket - people still clean gutters because no customer is going to pay the hundreds or even thousands it would cost to do it the way you are supposed to as told by the criminal laws.

You could go on and on how everything that is implemented is about the pockets of the few and nothing more.

I have 2 white cards, a blue card and a car licence and still can only do what is financially feasible or i would not survive because nobody could pay me and i still have not had a bad accident yet and worked without these tickets long before i ever got them doing the exact same thing.

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:19 PM

LAWN CLUB
for aussie contractors
LAWN CLUB is an independent australian lawn mowing and gardening contractors community. Our site is free to join and use for all members of the green industry,
and always will be. We are independently owned by a fellow lawn care professional, with the sole intention of LAWN CLUB that all lawn mowing contractors and
gardening contractors can learn from each other, chat with mates, & to freely ask or help each other in the running of our successful lawn care businesses.
Lawn Club community and lawn forum and business tips for lawn mowing contractors, gardening contractors, and lawn care business owners

Lawn Mowing Forum
How To Start Lawnmowing Business
Lawn Mower News and Sales